Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That's a lie, and you know it!
    Well, I know some people would read it....but I dunno how many really *want* to.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Imagine stages where you play as Clark Kent doing some investigative journalism using the mechanics from the Arkham games to search for clues. That would be awesome.
    I imagine a full "faction" length series of side quests with the Daily Planet. And when you investigate as "Clark" you still have all your powers....but if you're caught using them, you fail the mission and lose your progress. Like any good Elder Scrolls game, perhaps if you finish the entire faction chain you get promoted? Chief Editor Kent?

I also envision a skill tree, allowing you to build different kinds of Supermen. Start with the basic Golden Age powerset; that's level 1 and your tutorial stuff. As you level you can put points into expanding those skills/powers or adding things like flight, enhanced senses, calling in Fortress support, social/journalist investigative skills, etc.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Imagine stages where you play as Clark Kent doing some investigative journalism using the mechanics from the Arkham games to search for clues. That would be awesome.
    Definitely think something like say, LA Noire or Deus Ex HR’s conversation boss battles would be a perfect fit
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think the best route is to go with a Tell-Tale style of game, aka the two Batman seasons they did. Make it an interactive story, with branching paths based on decisions you make. Superman can then be as powerful as the story needs him to be.

I would die for an awesome open world Superman game, but I don't think it's possible. Other characters are easy - Batman stays in Gotham, Spider-Man doesn't leave New York, etc - but if I'm Superman in an open world then I get stuck with artificial boundaries that are impossible to avoid but also kill any sense of "Be Superman" (to paraphrase Rocksteady). If I'm Superman, why can't I leave Metropolis? Why can't I fly into space? Obviously the answer is hardware limitations, but in-game there's no way to do it and to have fun.

When it comes to the argument of "just depower him some for the game", I then ask what is the point of making a Superman game if he's depowered? If I want to play with 1938 powers, there are other games for that power level. And I don't want to play a Superman game where he has to "earn back" his abilities. If he has no abilities, then I could go play something else.

A procedurally generated world/universe could work if Superman was off planet. But eventually you need him on Earth. And the tech just makes for too many fake boundaries. Interactive stories like Tell-Tale (or something similar) would be the way to go, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 09-15-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I dunno man, I think we have the tech for a fully open world now. Just look at Megaton Rainfall; there are literally billions of planets, stars, asteroids, moons, etc., that you can visit.

Granted, that game sacrificed graphic quality (among many other things) for the dataspace and most of those places are devoid of anything other than empty landscapes, but tech limits have shifted in the five-six years since Rainfall, and it was made by a smaller studio with a limited budget.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to have a fully explorable earth. Not anymore. Like I said earlier, such a Superman game would tax your system and you'd need a quality rig to run it but I don't think it's out of reach.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I was always annoyed that we didn't get a Telltale-style Superman game. I always looked at it like if WB really, really wanted to have some sort of Superman game put out there, a Telltale one would've been a low-risk, medium-reward effort, which is a pretty good ratio. But hey, he's not Batman, so no dice.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Has anyone ever heard of a game called no man's sky?yeah!supes can leave the planet and whatnot.he could realise even a superman is a speck on a rock.The game for the most part procedurally generates the universe.#weareallwehavegot
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-16-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno man, I think we have the tech for a fully open world now. Just look at Megaton Rainfall; there are literally billions of planets, stars, asteroids, moons, etc., that you can visit.

Granted, that game sacrificed graphic quality (among many other things) for the dataspace and most of those places are devoid of anything other than empty landscapes, but tech limits have shifted in the five-six years since Rainfall, and it was made by a smaller studio with a limited budget.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to have a fully explorable earth. Not anymore. Like I said earlier, such a Superman game would tax your system and you'd need a quality rig to run it but I don't think it's out of reach.
    I guess for me, if they're not going to make a linear game with branching choices (like Tell Tale, or other interactive "novel" type games) and they opt for open world, with a Superman game I have to ask: can I fly to space? Can I land on the moon? Can I fly to the sun? (I understand these are sort of straw man questions, but we're talking Superman here) If the answer to these questions is "no", then I have to ask "why"?

If I hit an invisible wall at the end of the map, why is that there? I suppose one could say "Brainiac trapped Metropolis & Superman in a bottle"...and that's not a bad idea, you would have an entire city to roam in and the barriers exist because the story requires them. But what happens if you want to make a sequel? You can't put him in a bottle again. Maybe you say Gotham is across the bay & you can travel there, which would be cool - 2 cities to fly around in - but then I'm back to "can I fly to the sun"?

I've played Superman games with health bars, I've played Superman games with an open world, and they all artificially put Superman in a box because of his powerset. This is why I'm in favor of a Tell Tale style game. Those are divided up by chapters, and you are placed in specific scenes. Gameplay is a mixture of interacting with the environment, puzzle solving, and QuickTime events. So maybe in chapter 4, Doomsday shows up...the game can give you that fight sequence we've seen from the cancelled Superman game floating around. You can play that, but you aren't feeling a limitation because you're basically playing out a "choose your own adventure" story.

You could have chapters where Clark Kent is the star, and because it's story driven it would be engaging. Solving puzzles, finding clues for the story you're working on. Hell, think outside the box and have the player be Lois Lane during some missions. You could even include action beats along with puzzle solving because Lois knows how to kick ass.

If Superman is at risk of dying, it's because that's where the story has gone and it's the position you've been put in...not because of some dumb health bar. Plus, a serialized Tell Tale like game can take you anywhere because it's story based, not open world based. Does a chapter take place on Apokolips? You're there! If it's open world, you're not going to Apokolips, or Thanagar, or Oa. Not without fast travel, which would be a cheat for a Superman game.

It's all in my opinion...the Xbox Series X runs Microsoft Flight Simulator well enough, as long as you have a good internet download speed to stream in the satellite data. But, you also aren't going to street level and interacting with the environment, it's all for looks. I'm not sure we want a world in a Superman game that is expansive & looks pretty but is non-interactive.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 09-16-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr....man-video-game

Here’s my pitch for how I’d do it. In short yes it’s totally possible to do.
    THAT is an amazing idea!

Funny enough, I'd like to see a game with the Superman Family that plays like the X-Men arcade game or the TMNT arcade games. Set it on WarWorld or something, doesn't matter. 4 or 6 player beat-em-up. It'll be fun, and few will complain about health meters because it's just part of the genre. Maybe have low-level baddies just as trash ads where their bullets bounce off or something just to give that feeling, and then the big guns show up and it's on.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I think it would be fairly easy to do a cool open world Superman game like the Arkham series. Instead of Joker and streets thugs he would have Brainiac and robot drones. Instead of weapons upgrades Supes could just get new moves by learning a different way to utilize his powers.

Unfortunately Brainiac is already being used for the Suicide Squad game, so any chance of Superman facing one of his toughest villains in a game is down the drain.

DbZ Kakrott already proved we can do a Superman game. You just need to polish it and add a couple of features.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I guess for me, if they're not going to make a linear game with branching choices (like Tell Tale, or other interactive "novel" type games) and they opt for open world, with a Superman game I have to ask: can I fly to space? Can I land on the moon? Can I fly to the sun? (I understand these are sort of straw man questions, but we're talking Superman here) If the answer to these questions is "no", then I have to ask "why"?

If I hit an invisible wall at the end of the map, why is that there? I suppose one could say "Brainiac trapped Metropolis & Superman in a bottle"...and that's not a bad idea, you would have an entire city to roam in and the barriers exist because the story requires them. But what happens if you want to make a sequel? You can't put him in a bottle again. Maybe you say Gotham is across the bay & you can travel there, which would be cool - 2 cities to fly around in - but then I'm back to "can I fly to the sun"?

I've played Superman games with health bars, I've played Superman games with an open world, and they all artificially put Superman in a box because of his powerset. This is why I'm in favor of a Tell Tale style game. Those are divided up by chapters, and you are placed in specific scenes. Gameplay is a mixture of interacting with the environment, puzzle solving, and QuickTime events. So maybe in chapter 4, Doomsday shows up...the game can give you that fight sequence we've seen from the cancelled Superman game floating around. You can play that, but you aren't feeling a limitation because you're basically playing out a "choose your own adventure" story.

You could have chapters where Clark Kent is the star, and because it's story driven it would be engaging. Solving puzzles, finding clues for the story you're working on. Hell, think outside the box and have the player be Lois Lane during some missions. You could even include action beats along with puzzle solving because Lois knows how to kick ass.

If Superman is at risk of dying, it's because that's where the story has gone and it's the position you've been put in...not because of some dumb health bar. Plus, a serialized Tell Tale like game can take you anywhere because it's story based, not open world based. Does a chapter take place on Apokolips? You're there! If it's open world, you're not going to Apokolips, or Thanagar, or Oa. Not without fast travel, which would be a cheat for a Superman game.

It's all in my opinion...the Xbox Series X runs Microsoft Flight Simulator well enough, as long as you have a good internet download speed to stream in the satellite data. But, you also aren't going to street level and interacting with the environment, it's all for looks. I'm not sure we want a world in a Superman game that is expansive & looks pretty but is non-interactive.
    The invisible wall can just be Superman going "oh I have to go back to Metropolis" or just simply not let him go. There is no need to explain anything tbh.

Meh, I doubt Superman fans would be disappointed. You’d get some complaining from Reddit or Twitter about how Superman isn’t like all the epic memes where he can push planets and fly faster than light, but Batman fans were able to enjoy the Arkham games despite lousy boss fights, little to no Batfamily interaction, and the awful Batmobile.
    Video game fans love to complain more than comic book and movie fans combined.
    If someone made a Superman video game that everyone was just raving about before release I would be worried about overhype.

A good Superman game could totally be made today. It wouldn't even push current technology over the horizon, we already have everything we need.

Don't get me wrong, a proper Superman game would still push a modern console system on the high end and it's not something your ten year old PC would run well (if at all). It'd be dense as hell and one hell of a download, but every facet of what a Superman game needs, we've seen already. It's just a matter of putting the pieces together in the right way.

The real challenge isn't on the technical side, it's on the creative. How do you make the player feel like Clark, but still challenge them?

You need the character-focused narrative and on-point combat style of a PS4 Spider-Man, the environmental impact and power level of a Megaton Rainfall. It has to be cutting edge but still feel like it could be Reeve. It has to be accessible to noobs but still be recognizable to Super fans.

Hell of a lot of work if you wanna do it right, and you'd need a superstar team to do it. But there's nothing in the mix that doesn't already exist.

As for how I'd build it....I favor open world sandboxes like the Elder Scrolls, and that's the direction I'd want to take. But getting into the details would be an essay, and nobody wants to read a mile long post from me.
    I wrote mine so feel free to write up yours lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    The invisible wall can just be Superman going "oh I have to go back to Metropolis" or just simply not let him go. There is no need to explain anything tbh.
    I don’t get why this is such a huge deal for people. It’s like no one has played a video game lol. There’s arbitrary limits on where you can go with Spider-Man too, why can’t I webswing over the bridge and go to the other boroughs? Why is there an arbitrary limit? Because it’s a video game.

Some of you guys have demands I don’t understand to be honest. That going to the moon or the sun is what you’re concerned about over say, solid boss fights, is a head scratcher for me. Edit: Don’t mean to come off as a dick, just legit don’t get why that’s a huge thing people are obsessed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Video game fans love to complain more than comic book and movie fans combined.
    If someone made a Superman video game that everyone was just raving about before release I would be worried about overhype.
    That’s true but it rarely affects sales. People complain about Call of Duty all the time, or FIFA, but they’re still top sellers every year.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-17-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don’t get why this is such a huge deal for people. It’s like no one has played a video game lol. There’s arbitrary limits on where you can go with Spider-Man too, why can’t I webswing over the bridge and go to the other boroughs? Why is there an arbitrary limit? Because it’s a video game.
    Eh, I figure it's just an "immersion" thing. Most games don't give you a character as powerful as Clark, nor one with the kind of traversal options he "should" have. So when you hit that invisible wall it pulls you out of the experience.

But I agree that this shouldn't be a major issue. Game maps have limits, outside of a very small handful of exceptions like the aforementioned Megaton Rainfall or (I believe?) some versions of Minecraft.

I wrote mine so feel free to write up yours lol.
    >shrug<

Well, like I said; Elder Scrolls-esque open world sandbox. You'd be able to explore all of Metropolis, if not the world/solar system/galaxy (depending on how much dataspace I can swing). I'd like to make the entire solar system open to player exploration but I wouldn't sacrifice other gaming aspects for it like Minecraft and Megaton did. In any case, these bigger, out-of-city spaces wouldn't be critical to the game since not all character builds could reach them.

The main plot would probably involve Brainiac, Zod, Maxima, or Mongul, with extra out-of-map "loading in" areas for you to visit (Colu, the Zone, Almerac, Warworld, etc). I kinda lean towards Maxima honestly, she'd be a fresh face for larger media and her attempt to woo Superman makes the narrative personal for Clark.

There'd be a list of repeatable, radiant missions like "defeat the random alien armada/gang from Suicide Slum" that would usually take you into uninhabited areas (meet them in deep space or wait for them to reach the sky over the city, find them in an abandoned city block in the Slum, etc) so you can really go nuts without worrying about bystanders and public property or worrying about your rep (more on that in a sec).

You'd have a "home base" at Clark's Metropolis apartment, the Fortress, and the Kent farm, and players would be able to decorate/upgrade these places with various trophies and items.

Everything in the environment is interactive and breakable but you'd be able to toggle a "hold back" ability that'd stop you from crashing through buildings or people.

I'd employ a Fables-like reputation system that'd impact how the world responds to you; a high rep and people cheer when you pass and SCU try to help you in your battles, a low rep and people throw bottles and the SCU attack you. Your reputation would impact the storyline and what vendors/factions you can access; Cadmus will sell to a shady Superman, but not a do-right one, while the SCU won't sell to a shady Superman but will do business with a righteous one.

Gear wouldn't have stats (and wouldn't be a big game factor). Instead it'd give you unique abilities like summoning Fortress robots or briefly going intangible via Zone projector, etc. The big "badass" elements are your level and skill tree allotments, not what you're wearing.

You'd have a few customization options for things like "face/hair" "body type" "costume" and "s-shield," and the aforementioned skill trees to allow players to build the kind of Superman they want. Skills would include improving/expanding on standard powers (Strength/Invulnerability, Flight/Speed, Senses, etc), social/investigative skills (Search, Diplomacy, etc), and I'd include a single tree for the weird powers too (Electric, Solar Flare, Silver Age Weirdness, etc). You'd earn skills by levelling up and by doing things, akin to Elder Scrolls (getting hit slowly builds durability, earn a skill point, which you could then put into the "Strength/Invulnerability" tree to improve durability further). You'd start as basically Golden Age Supes, and be able to build from there in any direction you want.

You'd have Faction subplots for groups like the Daily Planet or GBS (based on rep; righteous Supermen work for the Planet while shady ones deal with GBS), STAR Labs/Cadmus, New Genesis/Apokolips, the SCU/Intergang, etc. These factions would often be "Clark" focused; you'd be in "mild mannered" disguise, investigating stuff, with full access to your powers but if anyone sees you use them you fail the mission. At various points in these mission chains, you'd have to suit up as Superman but this would be primarily focused on Clark. Finishing a faction (which includes a final boss like Lex, Ultra-Humanite, the Guardian, Granny or Orion, etc) gives you access to unique rewards and a "promotion" within the faction (you become a high ranking editor for the Planet, a newscaster for GBS, etc). Some factions would only be available to a "righteous" or a "shady" Superman.

Note that "shady" rep doesn't mean "bad guy." Golden Age Superman would be a little into the "shady" end of the pool yknow? A shady Superman is willing to go after corrupt cops, deal with questionable guys like Morgan Edge or cut a deal with Darkseid to protect earth, but he's not Ultraman.

I'd also steal Skyrim's marriage system, with options like Lois, Lana, Lori, Jimmy, Steve Lombard, Dubbilex, etc.

Random villains like Parasite, Toyman, Bizarro, etc., would show up as random encounters on the map (sort of like random dragons in Skyrim).

Trash mobs wouldn't deal much, if any, damage to you but how you handle them would impact your rep. Some enemies would be armed with kryptonite weapons, or would just be powerful enough to hurt you. You'd have a health bar, but it'd only matter for some battles. So do you stop the mugging with super speed and a flick of the wrist, or do you throw a car at the bad guy? It's all about problem solving and building your rep in one direction or the other, and the threat of physical defeat would only apply half the time.

Like I said, this would push a current console or PC to the edge, but there's nothing here that we haven't already seen in games. It'd be a big ass download but it's not beyond the realm of possibility either.
    Last edited by Ascended; 09-19-2021 at 02:01 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Eh, I figure it's just an "immersion" thing. Most games don't give you a character as powerful as Clark, nor one with the kind of traversal options he "should" have. So when you hit that invisible wall it pulls you out of the experience.

But I agree that this shouldn't be a major issue. Game maps have limits, outside of a very small handful of exceptions like the aforementioned Megaton Rainfall or (I believe?) some versions of Minecraft.
    Empyrion is also close.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwdFxBmvnRQ
    Yeah a game where you can build a space ship on a planet and take off, fly up into the sky into orbit, then fly to another solar system before landing on another planet! It'd take a massive amount of work to build even a rudimentary version of the DCU in that sort of game engine.