Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wouldn't mind something that has Clark Kent-focused but honestly, I got so sick of Telltale with how many of those they were chugging out during their peak.
    Doesn't have to be actually made by the Telltale company (didn't they go under?) Just has to be that kind of story based game. Honestly the presentation of this kind of game has progressed a lot since their heyday, but the basic idea was always solid. I think story based would be a vastly more interesting presentation of a Superman game than an action game would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Good sir, if there was an emoji for high fiving I'd use it right now. Because that's where you and I agree.
    BILCscJCMAEBuu7.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

It can be done just fine, but not by a western developer. Western developers don't have the scope, imagination, or sense of humor for it. They need to hand the IP to a Japanese studio and see what they can do with it.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah a certain sloppiness could be there compared to flying, but there also should be stuff to make underwater gameplay standout besides being just "Flying but sloppy" lol.
    Well, I'd characterize the Champions Online version of swimming as "flying but sluggish". It's mostly that it uses different animations.

Hmm now that I think about it... DCUO also has a version of this... oh and it has Superman in it. But my observation of the DCUO version is that well... they basically just have you fly underwater. But... even for characters that don't have flight powers.

But yeah, DCUO is another example of a game that does the same sort of stuff you'd want to have in a Superman game.

Astonishing Member

If Wonder Woman can get a game despite being nearly as strong as Clark, there's zero reason a Superman game can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    If Wonder Woman can get a game despite being nearly as strong as Clark, there's zero reason a Superman game can't work.
    Wonder Woman has less varied powers.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It can be done just fine, but not by a western developer. Western developers don't have the scope, imagination, or sense of humor for it. They need to hand the IP to a Japanese studio and see what they can do with it.
    I mean at the end of the day you need to fight the right developers for this, 'cause Japanese developers can also be just as lazy as western developers, and a lot of Japanese games haven't moved past mediocre PS2 style games.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    About the biggest obstacle when it comes to Supes games is flight anyways, and to a lesser extent superspeed.

I think super-heroes in general benefit more from combat when they're not in open world games, but Supes in particular would benefit a lot from not being in an open world game, but who knows, a well done open world game with flight like it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Plus we don't know if this WW game is any good yet. I mean, I expect it to be, but there's nothing yet to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Eh a lot of the Japanese game industry has moved to Switch/mobile games and they’re really only a handful of publishers and devs that make AAA games there now and I don’t think those studios are especially suited to make a Superman game. I guess someone like Capcom could be interesting but 1) they have their own IPs and 2) they won’t bring to the table any western studio wouldn’t either

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    About the biggest obstacle when it comes to Supes games is flight anyways, and to a lesser extent superspeed.

I think super-heroes in general benefit more from combat when they're not in open world games, but Supes in particular would benefit a lot from not being in an open world game, but who knows, a well done open world game with flight like it could be fun.
    Hmmm massive open-air fights would be nice. Champions has a few that are pretty fun. I put up a link to the Sky Command fight earlier. It's a huge open air fight where the only "terrain" is the UNTIL carrier. Technically characters who can't fly can play it, but... it's a lot easier for flying characters. It reminds me a lot of things Superman has done though. I mean, in Sky Command you're mostly fighting robots. Superman vs an army of robots is pretty familiar.

One note the devs have commented on is that writing the AIs for flying enemies is a bit more complex than walking NPCs. Not massively, but... somewhat. coding powers to work in 3-d is also a bit harder, but not a lot.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 12-12-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I've noticed a good number of video game reviewers on Youtube have been recently giving the Atari 2600 Superman game some reappraisal.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One note the devs have commented on is that writing the AIs for flying enemies is a bit more complex than walking NPCs. Not massively, but... somewhat. coding powers to work in 3-d is also a bit harder, but not a lot.
    Well you have to consider more directions, and with flight, you have to make sure the enemies don't end up awkwardly positioned, so yeah, I can see that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I've noticed a good number of video game reviewers on Youtube have been recently giving the Atari 2600 Superman game some reappraisal.
    Here are some reviews that are more positive on the Atari 2600 game.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN