Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Man, this is easily one of the most tragic versions of Croc around, especially when you consider he's just a young man. All of his childish hallucinations under Dark Purple Dawn suddenly make sense. I wonder if him being revived by the Lazarus Pit will connect in any way to the blade he's carrying around.

Totally called it on the identity of the doctor. Pretty cool to see him in this universe.

Penguin seems a bit nice to Robin. But I mean, he has not reason to antagonize him, especially if they're both going after Scarecrow.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Amazing Member

Issue 4 was another great entry! Love how big of a threat Scarecrow is in Audio Adventures to the point where even Penguin isn't sure how to handle him since his identity is still a secret. The scenes between Robin and Penguin were done very well. This continues to be a great take on Croc and I'm looking forward to see where things go from here with the sword plotline.

Mighty Member

The main plot with Batman and Croc was okay, but I do appreciate that Batman and Croc aren't usually enemies here. Batman doesn't admit the worst in Croc and Croc knows that Batman usually helps him, but he's too influenced by Dark Purple Dawn to just relent. And of course, Croc's backstory continues to be tragic.

I wonder if Strange is actually dead or if we're due for some strange apparitions soon....

The plot with Robin and Penguin was pretty weak, but I liked how it tied with Croc's backstory in the flashback by the end. That was neat.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Audio Adventures #5 Preview
    Writer: Dennis McNicholas
    Artist: Anthony Marques

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman: The Audio Adventures #5 Preview
    Artist: Anthony Marques

Batman investigating! Ra's lore! Penguin and Killer Croc!

Mighty Member

So, did this issue actually come out? Amazon says it comes out on the 28th and I can't rely on the nearby store since they get their books weeks late. Yet they've released previews and reviews for it.

Extraordinary Member

Looks like the 28th.

Mighty Member

So, this issue was just okay. It felt like setting up the final couple of issues. I admittedly don't find the Demon's Brood plot that interesting. I was expecting a character like Zodiac Master or Madame Zodiac to show up, considering all the focus on the Zodiac.

spoilers:
    I did like the plot twist with the Brood killing not just people, but animals and plants as part of their sacrifice. Odd that the professor at the Botanical Gardens never got a name like the other supposed victims. Between that and her furious reaction at the plant's death, could she be this continuity's Pamela Isley? And of course, the plant comes from Santa Prisca. We get more set-up for the island (and hopefully Bane) in Season 2.

Killer Croc retains the most interesting part of the story. I wasn't feeling him acting like Penguin's enforcer in the flashbacks until the reveal of the little girl right before Haly's Circus blew up. So, he's desperate to protect the doll because it reminds him of that little girl he got killed. Just when I thought his tale couldn't get more tragic. And since the grave had Monster Man formula instead of a corpse or bones, it means Hugo Strange is likely around.
    end of spoilers

I think the weakest part for me is the set-up for Robin's undercover story. Apparently he'll meet Scarecrow, but we know as a prequel that it won't go that far until Season 2.

Mighty Member

Looks like the next issue was pushed to April 11th.

The trade collection is coming out on September 5th. It not only includes all seven issues, but it also includes the special, which is pretty cool.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Audio Adventures #6 Preview
    Artists: Anthony Marques & J. Bone

Whirly-Bat appearance! This issue is instantly a winner!

Mighty Member

I'm wondering why this comic has been delayed so much.

I really like how they're building up the mystique of Ra's al Ghul and the Demon's Brood, which makes it all the weirder that there's not even a hint of them on the podcast itself yet.

Mighty Member

This was a pretty good issue. It picks up on the story and sets up all three subplots towards an exciting conclusion at Haly's Circus without feeling too rushed. Killer Croc's rampage thankfully didn't overstay its welcome and even featured a nice appearance by Leslie Thompkins. I liked the reveal about the doll and that it made it clear how fast his mind is degrading without more overly long flashbacks. I also was amused by the orphans being unenthusiastic about their appearance at Haly's. It's pretty good dry humor. Oh, and Mama Dagmar, before her unfortunate fate.

The plot with Dick infiltrating Scarecrow's organization also ended up being more interesting than I gave it credit for. Dick finds a pretty significant clue towards his true identity, even if we know it won't lead to much in season 2. I also liked Scarecrow's food motif. Between that and the horror movie stuff from season 2, it shows that he can be a pretty versatile villain. Oh, and cool that we met Autumn, his assistant and Ms. Tuesday's friend.

One thing I appreciate about this comic that really gets what makes the audio drama appealing is the combination of Silver Age designs and stories with darker subject matter, such as Batman talking about Ra's al Ghul and stopping a homicidal cult and pondering whether he's just as cultish and obsessive while riding the Whirly-Bat and later a horse. Not to mention, there's something endearing about Batman valuing the life of a single horse as much as any person. My only issue is that the Demon's Brood's tie to the Haly's climax feels forced compared to the other subplots'.

I'm looking forward to the final issue. I hope the wait isn't as long for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    This was a pretty good issue. It picks up on the story and sets up all three subplots towards an exciting conclusion at Haly's Circus without feeling too rushed. Killer Croc's rampage thankfully didn't overstay its welcome and even featured a nice appearance by Leslie Thompkins. I liked the reveal about the doll and that it made it clear how fast his mind is degrading without more overly long flashbacks. I also was amused by the orphans being unenthusiastic about their appearance at Haly's. It's pretty good dry humor. Oh, and Mama Dagmar, before her unfortunate fate.

The plot with Dick infiltrating Scarecrow's organization also ended up being more interesting than I gave it credit for. Dick finds a pretty significant clue towards his true identity, even if we know it won't lead to much in season 2. I also liked Scarecrow's food motif. Between that and the horror movie stuff from season 2, it shows that he can be a pretty versatile villain. Oh, and cool that we met Autumn, his assistant and Ms. Tuesday's friend.

One thing I appreciate about this comic that really gets what makes the audio drama appealing is the combination of Silver Age designs and stories with darker subject matter, such as Batman talking about Ra's al Ghul and stopping a homicidal cult and pondering whether he's just as cultish and obsessive while riding the Whirly-Bat and later a horse. Not to mention, there's something endearing about Batman valuing the life of a single horse as much as any person. My only issue is that the Demon's Brood's tie to the Haly's climax feels forced compared to the other subplots'.

I'm looking forward to the final issue. I hope the wait isn't as long for it.
    Take that, Tom King's Batman and Catwoman .

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Audio Adventures #7 Preview
    Artists: Anthony Marques & J. Bone