Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I like this art style.

Mighty Member

I really like that cover for the final issue, even if it makes it look like Joker and Ra's al Ghul were bigger characters than they were.

I'm glad this series will finally reach its end after all those delays.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Extraordinary Member

Nightwing won the Eisner award for best cover art and best ongoing series

Mighty Member

And after all the delays, this series finally comes to an end. It's a bit rushed at time, but I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to most of the plotlines.

I enjoyed the theme these past two issues of how people can blindly follow religions, delusions of regrets, or grudges into self-destruction and how that tied into Batman and Robin's dynamic. It's an interesting monologue from Batman that examines why he dislikes the term "Caped Crusader" and it's one I found interesting, even if introduced a bit late. I especially like the juxtaposition of him frantically saving the Demon's Brood and eventually joining with Robin. It makes him one of the more likable versions of Batman. I also kick myself for not getting the plot twist with the Brood, especially if it's in their name. spoilers:
    It's a fascinating way to introduce their version of Talia as someone who wants to KILL Ra's rather than please him. I wonder if she and Batman will cross paths again considering she's leaving Gotham.
    end of spoilers

I admittedly didn't care for Robin's story much, but there's something so nice about him saving the day at Haly's Circus.

Killer Croc's always been my favorite part of this series, and while I was worried his tragedy was getting too much, I was happy with how it ended. It was about time he confronted Penguin instead of believing everything he said. spoilers:
    I also love the tragedy of his selfless act of heroism turning him into more of a monster physically and maybe mentally. It's one of my favorite tropes lately, and it also just came up with Harvey Dent in Gotham Knights. And poor Waylon, now he's at the mercy of being used by Ra's al Ghul and Hugo Strange, who always schemed to turn him into their beast.
    end of spoilers

As for drawbacks, now that the story's over, it does make the opening with Harley Quinn's origin stand out more. I guess it's a shorthand way to explain Dark Purple Dawn to the reader and how it affects people before it gets to Croc, but it also comes off as an unresolved plot point. We know it'll continue in Season 2, but you can't assume the reader will know that. Also, Scarecrow also disappears from the story for the same reason. And if the arborist was supposed to be Pamela Isley, then it's baffling that never got some follow-up. Also, this is more of a personal preference, spoilers:
    but I didn't like the reveal that Hugo was just working for Ra's. It gives me flashbacks to how Arkham City and Gotham squandered him in that role.
    end of spoilers

Overall, a fun read and a nice addition to this universe. I'd like more from this comic, but I think this will be it. I hope Season 2, Part 2 of the podcast still comes out.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For all tradewaiters... trade is out. Audio Adventures is my Favorite take on the Batman universe.