Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman/FaZe Clan

Gaming organization FaZe Clan unveiled on Wednesday a collaboration with DC for a limited-edition comic book in celebration of Batman month.

The book is written by Josh Trujillio (Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series) and illustrated by Scot Eaton (Superman, Justice League), with main cover art by Tyler Kirkham and Arif Prianto.

A number of FaZe Clan members are featured in superhero form, including Brian Awadis (FaZe Rug), Richard Bengston (FaZe Banks), Alexander Prynkiewicz (FaZe Adapt), Yousef Abdelfatta (FaZe Apex), Thomas Oliveira (FaZe Temperrr), Nordan Shat (FaZe Rain) and Lucas Mosing (FaZe Blaze).

“This collaboration is extremely special to us because we all grew up on Batman and DC and to see ourselves as comic book Super Heroes is a dream come true,” said FaZe Rain, in a statement.

The comic book will be released with five covers, including four limited variant covers by Jason Badower that highlight a founding member of FaZe Clan.

“DC is excited to partner with FaZe Clan to share this custom Batman story with their amazing gaming fans,” said DC general manager Daniel Cherry III, in a statement. “This partnership is a great opportunity to invite even more fans into the iconic DC universe.”

Alongside the comic book, FaZe Clan will release merchandise, also in collaboration with DC, such as esports jerseys, apparel and computer accessories. This collection will be available Sept. 24 via FaZe Clan’s website, with select items in the DC online shop.

FaZe Clan was established in 2010 and is known for its esports teams that compete in tournaments and championships for Fortnite, PUBG, FIFA and more; and roster of gaming personalities, content creators and hybrid talent, the latter including NBA star Ben Simmons.

Extraordinary Member

A collaboration literally no one asked for...

...what the hell is FaZe Clan? No really, who are these guys? From context I got that it has to do with gaming, but doesn't seem to be an actual game. Is...is this a crossover with some "esports" team?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...what the hell is FaZe Clan? No really, who are these guys? From context I got that it has to do with gaming, but doesn't seem to be an actual game. Is...is this a crossover with some "esports" team?
    Yeppppppp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Yeppppppp.
    Okay, yeah, that's stupid. Like, I'm not a gamer but I get the appeal of a game crossover like the one they did with Fortnight. But this, I honestly can't see the appeal of this for anyone outside of the actual gamers themselves. Dafuq?

Extraordinary Member

But this, I honestly can't see the appeal of this for anyone outside of the actual gamers themselves. Dafuq?
    Well that's who they're targeting, FaZe Clan apparently has good merch sales so DC is trying to get some of that money. This, the Fortnite crossover, webtoon - all about getting $$$ from a non traditional audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Well that's who they're targeting, FaZe Clan apparently has good merch sales so DC is trying to get some of that money. This, the Fortnite crossover, webtoon - all about getting $$$ from a non traditional audience.
    When I said the actual gamers themselves, I didn't mean gamers in general but the gamers of FaZe Clan in particular.

...they have merch? Wait, what? Why would people buy merch of other people playing games?

When I said the actual gamers themselves, I didn't mean gamers in general but the gamers of FaZe Clan in particular.

...they have merch? Wait, what? Why would people buy merch of other people playing games?
    I guess because they're viewed as like actual sports players? Or something .

It's the same way that just about any loser who's been on a "reality" TV show (no matter how few people have ever seen it) or even "trending" on TikTok are now considered "celebrities".

Personally, I'd rather read a comic book where Batman teams up with Wu-Tang Clan, and I don't even listen to their music.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's the same way that just about any loser who's been on a "reality" TV show (no matter how few people have ever seen it) or even "trending" on TikTok are now considered "celebrities".

Personally, I'd rather read a comic book where Batman teams up with Wu-Tang Clan, and I don't even listen to their music.
    There have been comic books that have teamed up with all sorts of 'celebrity' people before, this is no different. I think once you start to differentiate 'real' and 'fake' celebrities, you should soon be on your way to realizing there are not many 'real ones.

Batman and e-sports gamers? fml

I enjoy video games, yes. But this, no one asked for this. If it were something with Achievement Hunter, most of whom have an "alias", it would make more sense and at least set up something funny. Hell, Achievement Hunter even had 2 seasons of Achievement Haunter (they went ghost hunting, but also pranked the hell out of one another). That would be a perfect setup. But this? Hard pass.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

E-Sports is pretty big business, I don't care for it myself but there's no denying reality.

I don't know if this will succeed in tapping into that market but it is what it is.

Astonishing Member

If I was to point to one example of batman being overused to the point of stupidity. This would be it

This is just more proof for me that Batman: The Imposter will be an Among Us crossover.