Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Something resembling Batman Beyond in some way?
    Yes, but with 24 different Robins, Nightwings, Huntresses and Batgirls.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

The Legion belongs to Superman, stop trying to steal more things from Superman. so difficult is that Superman has something of his own.
    It's as if tomorrow Ares becomes Superman's villain (the greatest hero on earth is normal for Ares to hate him). Jon the new Green Lantern from Earth or Krypton.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    The Legion belongs to Superman, stop trying to steal more things from Superman. so difficult is that Superman has something of his own.
    It's as if tomorrow Ares becomes Superman's villain (the greatest hero on earth is normal for Ares to hate him). Jon the new Green Lantern from Earth or Krypton.
    Superman inspires The Legion, doesnt mean that everyone else gets ignored. They are part of the a DC Universe after all.

Well, Ares does fight the greatest hero on Earth. That's why he's WW's enemy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Superman inspires The Legion, doesn't mean that everyone else gets ignored. They are part of the a DC Universe after all.
    Yup, Universo has ties to the Green Lantern corps, and Darkseid is also not 'a Superman villain,' but that doesn't take away from Superman's unique connection to the Legion.

They didn't go back and recruit Batman, after all!

I kind of agree. Let the Legion be Superman's thing.

Trying to make it into an overall DCU thing can turn into a case of trying to fit in a square peg into a round hole. If a story like that needs to be told, it's probably best to use entirely different characters. Like Batman Beyond or DC One Million or Superman/Batman: Generations universe.

BANNED

Superman inspires The Legion, doesnt mean that everyone else gets ignored. They are part of the a DC Universe after all.
    When the Green Lanters belong to everyone, when Olympus belongs to everyone, when magic belongs to everyone (no one in the Superverse has anything to do with these parts of the DC universe), then we talk.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A big thing is sometime between now and the Legion's time the world gets wrecked. I mean really wrecked. Almost every version of the Legion has some big event in its past which set humanity back pretty far and tons of historic records were lost. Only the biggest names like Superman probably survived as legends. I remember in the first reboot RJ Brand had a collection of stuff about other heroes like Batman and such, but he was originally from the 20th century so he would know of them.

Now I have no idea if this is still true with the Bendis Legion considering there is a planet Gotham (god even writing that makes me feel stupid).
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 09-13-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Retired

As an Elesworlds what if imaginary story, I can see why people like to speculate about the characters in the far future. But if you want that to be part of Legion continuity, then I think you have to detach the Legion timeline from the current universe. Which might be a good idea. It seems like all the reboots have happened because editors of current books didn't want the Legion future fouling up their continuity. If they had just established that the Legion exists in a divergent timeline/alternate universe/constructed reality--then this wouldn't be a problem. Heroes could even travel to the 30th/31st century of the Legion for crossovers without it being an issue--since they wouldn't know if the future they visited was theirs or existed in some other reality or fantasy.

I agree with the thought that the Legion should stand on its own. Having the 31st century (seriously, go to the yer 3247 and skip the constant timesliding based on 1000 years) version of the DC Universe is a totally different focus. Still, some aspects could fit as long as they remain relatively infrequent. Darkseid was a big story. Vandal Savage could work as well. Wonder Woman has been shown in many versions to be long lived and the status of Paradise Island is a point that could be mentioned. And yes, I know the earth's been destroyed in Bendis' version, but it's not like things don't change at DC.

Going all out Easter Egg is something I could easily get behind. Little hints and clues dotting backgrounds and minor subplots works for me.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I just don't want the Legion to turn into the early '90's Guardians of the Galaxy title, where seemingly every storyline or arc could be boiled down to "let's find the 1,000-years-later legacy of present-day heroes". The search for Captain America's shield! An entire alien race/culture modeled after Tony Stark's armor! What happened to all the mutants! Who's the Sorcerer Supreme now? Oh look, the Silver Surfer's still around! And Firelord! And Wonder Man!?! etc.

When the Green Lanters belong to everyone, when Olympus belongs to everyone, when magic belongs to everyone (no one in the Superverse has anything to do with these parts of the DC universe), then we talk.
    It's not about whether there should be a Batman in the Legion of Superheroes, it's about the fact that someone like Wonder Woman had a story in 1943 set in the year 3000 with a utopian society on earth not so dissimilar from the Legion of Superheroes. It's about the fact that the amazons have been alive since ancient Greece as a paradise. It's about how Diana is defined by her desire to challenge the world to be better and lead us to peace. And yet there has never been a mention of her or her people. Even if she isn't alive, why would there be no notable legacy for them and the amazons?

She probably shouldn't be in the Legion of Superheroes, but she and her world should still be there somewhere.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-13-2021 at 05:23 PM.

it's weird to me how resistant some of y'all are toward the idea of this shared universe behaving like a shared universe. the Legion doesn't belong to Superman, they belong to the same DC universe that Superman belongs to. other elements from the DC universe and other the legacy of other heroes popping up isn't even a question, it's common sense given the premise of their franchise.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-14-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: me not be*
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

That's not impossible. Kara's been a Red Lantern.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

The annual crossover events really bugged me in the way they always had to find some way to bring the Legion into the story--even though it's a thousand years later and the crossover event is happening in a given year, such as 1987 or 1996.

MILLENNIUM is an example of this. It was supposed to be about Manhunters in 1987 and how it's discovered that some people are sleeper Manhunters (some are human agents and some are actually robots). It turns out that Laurel Kent is a Manhunter robot. What th--?

Even in a shared universe, there has to be some logic. It's not like a thousand years is just the next week. There has to be some separation or the whole house of cards falls down.