Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have tried so many things by Peter David and it just seems he isn't for me. I tried to read his Hulk run, I tried to read his Aquaman run, and I read some of his Young Justice run. Couldn't finish any.

As to the runs that I have enjoyed. I LOVED The Sub Diego arc by Pfeifer, as many have said it is completely underrated! I also loved Geoff Johns run, that was about the only thing from the New 52 that I actually enjoyed. Rebirth was extremely hit or miss.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I have tried so many things by Peter David and it just seems he isn't for me. I tried to read his Hulk run, I tried to read his Aquaman run, and I read some of his Young Justice run. Couldn't finish any.

As to the runs that I have enjoyed. I LOVED The Sub Diego arc by Pfeifer, as many have said it is completely underrated! I also loved Geoff Johns run, that was about the only thing from the New 52 that I actually enjoyed. Rebirth was extremely hit or miss.
    Agree, David's work isn't for me either despite having read his Incredible Hulk run. Not for everybody.

I liked the late '60s early '70s. Especially when Jim Aparo was the artist.
    I didn't care for David's run at all!
    The Jurgens' run was good.
    Johns' did a good job.
    I didn't care for anything that came after him.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I wasn't a fan of the hook-handed bearded run. My favorite run is the one by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis/Paul Pellitier at the start of the New 52.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the hook-handed bearded run. My favorite run is the one by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis/Paul Pellitier at the start of the New 52.
    I’m with you on THAT one.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Spectacular Member

Peter David/ Dan Jurgens series before it got killed off. I will look into them as trades when I start rebuilding Arthur..

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Peter David/ Dan Jurgens series before it got killed off. I will look into them as trades when I start rebuilding Arthur..
    Unfortunately there are only two trades available for that series - Aquaman by Peter David Vol. 1 and 2. DC canceled what would have been the 3rd (of 4) books necessary to complete PAD's run.

Then you have a couple years worth of Eric Larsen to slog through before you get to Jurgens & Epting, which was great until they pulled the plug.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

Geoff Johns new 52 run and Dan Abnett's Rebirth run are fantastic

Cullen Bunn's short run before Abnett took over is awful.

As big an Aquaman fan as I am I have not read the PAD run yet. Is it collected? I think that’s the only one I haven’t read.

Totally co-sign Wills run as underrated. The whole Sub Diego thing was such a cool concept and perfect for Aquaman. I also liked the Sword of Atlantis but even though that seemed to lose steam pretty quickly.

Was not a fan of the Waterbearer run (some cool concepts but overall not a fan).

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    As big an Aquaman fan as I am I have not read the PAD run yet. Is it collected? I think that’s the only one I haven’t read.
    Scroll up 3 posts.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The worst Aquaman issues I ever read were by Rick Veitch…a writer that I actually nearly always enjoy.

I’ve thankfully erased all the details from my mind…but I actually wondered at time if Rick was angry with DC over something or other and was deliberately making the comic crap…in my view it was so different from his usual quality.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The worst Aquaman issues I ever read were by Rick Veitch…a writer that I actually nearly always enjoy.

I’ve thankfully erased all the details from my mind…but I actually wondered at time if Rick was angry with DC over something or other and was deliberately making the comic crap…in my view it was so different from his usual quality.
    So you've forgotten all about... The Thirst?!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Unfortunately there are only two trades available for that series - Aquaman by Peter David Vol. 1 and 2. DC canceled what would have been the 3rd (of 4) books necessary to complete PAD's run.

Then you have a couple years worth of Eric Larsen to slog through before you get to Jurgens & Epting, which was great until they pulled the plug.

I remember that. I’m hoping that DC ups their game on their trades.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Granted what I've read from him wasn't all that great, but what was so bad about Erik Larsen's Aquaman?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Aquaman I enjoyed was the silver age run (warts and all), Johns, Parker, Abnett and KSD. I liked aspects of the Veitch (this one more just some concepts brought up, like playing with Arthurian legend) and Buseik runs, though.

The Aquaman I decidedly don't enjoy is stuff like Peter David and Cullen Bunn's runs. Hard pass on that nonsense.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.