Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Aquaman - which era did you like, hate ?

Over the last year or so I’ve read some AQUAMAN runs in chunks. Like a lot of folks, I really liked the PAD run. Enjoyed a lot of the 60s and 70s material.

The way he was portrayed in his THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD appearances was a totally different characterization.

Unlike a lot of folks, I even enjoyed AQUAMAN, THE SWORD OF ATLANTIS era that has a transformed Arthur and ‘Arthur, Jr’. Why ? It was actually different. Not just the ‘illusion’ of change. I really wish it had remained a permanent change.

Other opinions of Aqua - eras?

Spectacular Member

I would say i don't particulary hated a Aquaman era because i have not read all the series XD

But i can say i like the Peter David era and the Rebirth era with this two run.

Peter David's run was good.

I wasn't really interested in Aquaman before that. Throne of Atlantis was good too but I lost interest after that.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I like his 60's/70's era as classic Aquaman in his own comic and Adventure comics.

Peter David's 90's Aquaman was very enjoyable although a little too angry and rough for my quentissential Arthur.

Geoff Johns/Rebirth era is a nice updated version of the classic and probably the best we have so far.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    . . . The way he was portrayed in his THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD appearances was a totally different characterization. . .
    FWIW, there are some of us who may see the term "his THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD appearances" and first think of when he appeared in the comic book The Brave & the Bold back in the 1960s-1970s.

And I don't know if he ever said "Outrageous!" back then . . .

Extraordinary Member

I'll add myself to those who said Peter David's run. That was amazing. I think I bought the entire run that Davis wrote.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I've enjoyed most - if not all - aspects of just about every Aquaman era; it's why he's consistently been one of my favorite characters since I started comics.

I would say the only time I ever seriously thought about dropping his book was during Tad Williams' run (I trusted in Busiek, even if the concept wasn't for me), and then again during Cullen Bunn's thankfully short run. The latter is especially odd because I've loved everything else Bunn has done; Arthur/Atlantis just wasn't his cup of tea.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Classic Arthur for me before they went all Namor on him.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Geoff Johns/Rebirth era is a nice updated version of the classic and probably the best we have so far.
    Agreed. For the first time, I found myself enjoying a comic-book featuring Aquaman!

I loved David's run (especially the use of aquatic characters from DC's past like Dolphin, the Sea Devils, Neptune Perkins, and Tsunami) but my favorite was probably the Will Pfiefer run, which I feel is SO underrated. The Sub Diego arc, which basically kinda turned Aquaman into Batman, working in an urban environment that just so happened to be underwater, was really cool. That run also gave us the Lorena Marquez Aquagirl, a character I loved, and Alonzo Malrey, the San Diego cop who was transformed into a kind of moray eel type of creature and patrolled the streets alongside Aquaman and Lorena.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved the PAD era. It was really the first time I can remember a major hero changing that much, but it seeming like a natural progression of the character. This was the Aquaman who had his whole life destroyed with the death of his child and his wife's breakdown and leaving him. After everything he had been through it just made sense he would have a much harder "I am am done taking **** from anyone" attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I loved David's run (especially the use of aquatic characters from DC's past like Dolphin, the Sea Devils, Neptune Perkins, and Tsunami) but my favorite was probably the Will Pfiefer run, which I feel is SO underrated. The Sub Diego arc, which basically kinda turned Aquaman into Batman, working in an urban environment that just so happened to be underwater, was really cool. That run also gave us the Lorena Marquez Aquagirl, a character I loved, and Alonzo Malrey, the San Diego cop who was transformed into a kind of moray eel type of creature and patrolled the streets alongside Aquaman and Lorena.
    You are right about Pfeiffer. It is a very underappreciated run. The only one more invisible was Jurgens which I think may be the actual best of the best.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I really enjoyed:
    the Adventure Comics run
    PAD's run
    Jurgens' run
    Pfeifer's arc
    Abnett's run
    Arcudi And DeConnick were OK, Parker was enjoyable and Johns' was top notch

Disliked:

Larsen's run
    Sword of Atlantis
    Bunn's run

Definitely more hit than miss!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Geoffs is probably the most consistent that I've read.

And when it comes to versions of the character....Im cool with the more agressive long haired Arthur but prefer a more swimmer bodied/short hair/beard Arthur

Peter David's run is my favorite. It was a strong series that was consistently one of my favorite books of the era.