Default Did Captain Marvel ever weaponize his lightning before Kingdom Come?

A friend at a different site swears he remembers it happening in an old comic way before 1996 but he can’t remember the book.

Astonishing Member

It came up in a Superman/Captain Marvel story Pre-Crisis. I don't think he actually used it, but Captain Marvel had the idea of saying the magic word and then dodging the lightning so it would hit Superman. I think IIRC that the wizard talked him out of it. Superman and Cap had been tricked into battle when Black Adam and the Sand-Superman had each attacked one of the heroes while disguised as the other hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    It came up in a Superman/Captain Marvel story Pre-Crisis. I don't think he actually used it, but Captain Marvel had the idea of saying the magic word and then dodging the lightning so it would hit Superman. I think IIRC that the wizard talked him out of it. Superman and Cap had been tricked into battle when Black Adam and the Sand-Superman had each attacked one of the heroes while disguised as the other hero.
    ^^^Cool! Thank you very much.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Until KINGDOM COME, I never thought this was even possible because I had always assumed that whenever Billy/Captain Marvel yelled, "Shazam," the lightning would hit precisely the spot where Billy/Cap was at that instant, even if he were moving...the lightning just wouldn't stop until it hit and transformed him from one form to the other.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Until KINGDOM COME, I never thought this was even possible because I had always assumed that whenever Billy/Captain Marvel yelled, "Shazam," the lightning would hit precisely the spot where Billy/Cap was at that instant, even if he were moving...the lightning just wouldn't stop until it hit and transformed him from one form to the other.

This is how I see it also.

Course black Adam has been shown to use lightning as a weapon, so it's a thing now
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    This is how I see it also.

Course black Adam has been shown to use lightning as a weapon, so it's a thing now
    And of course, there's "Captain Sparklefingers."

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Wouldn't you have to be faster than lightning in order to get out of the way of it?
    Assassinate Putin!

Yes, OF uses the lightning ambush first proposed years earlier in a story where Cap hypothesized that it would kill Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Yes, OF uses the lightning ambush first proposed years earlier in a story where Cap hypothesized that it would kill Superman
    I think it was in SUPERMAN VS SHAZAM

That’s right. Superman vs Shazam 1978

8677EAF0-4191-4B8D-93E2-EE585716594E.jpg

It was also a major plot point in Legends.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It was also a major plot point in Legends.
    Well, sort of.

But not really.

That was a case of MacroMan having caught Cap in such a way that he couldn't immediately get free. In the name of expedience, he planned to change back to Billy reasoning that Billy would slip right out.

The Lightning Ambush is more an intentional summoning of the bolt so that he could use the Speed of Mercury to evade it and cause it to strike his opponent instead.

Well, sort of.

But not really.

That was a case of MacroMan having caught Cap in such a way that he couldn't immediately get free. In the name of expedience, he planned to change back to Billy reasoning that Billy would slip right out.

The Lightning Ambush is more an intentional summoning of the bolt so that he could use the Speed of Mercury to evade it and cause it to strike his opponent instead.
    ^^^I actually came in to say something similar.
    I pulled out my old Legends issues, as Lee Stone’s comment didn’t ring a bell for me. Def. an example of how dangerous the lightning can be though.

Well, sort of.

But not really.

Yes. I considered elaborating a bit more, but the point was that it was used as a weapon (although unintentionally), as Darkseid had anticipated.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Yes. I considered elaborating a bit more, but the point was that it was used as a weapon (although unintentionally), as Darkseid had anticipated.
    I'd forgotten all about it though till you brought it up.