Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman '89 #2 Preview

Batman '89 #2 Preview
    Writer: Sam Hamm
    Artist: Joe Quinones

Shame he never got to play Two Face in the movies. What could've been...

Even in comic form Billy Dee Williams is smooth .

Burnside, huh?

Amazing Member

Probably a stretch, but there is a "Kane" sign on the wall. Which is, obviously, a reference to Batman cocreator Bob Kane (who appeared in the '89 film).

And maybe, just maybe the "Post No Bills" sign is a very subtle nod to Batman cocreator Bill Finger. Who got "No" credit for Batman at the time of the movie.

I mean, yeah. It's reaching. But I choose to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Probably a stretch, but there is a "Kane" sign on the wall. Which is, obviously, a reference to Batman cocreator Bob Kane (who appeared in the '89 film).

And maybe, just maybe the "Post No Bills" sign is a very subtle nod to Batman cocreator Bill Finger. Who got "No" credit for Batman at the time of the movie.

I don't think it sounds too far off-base...

Could definitely be a possibility.

There's also graffiti that straight away says "Finger" (right behind Dent's shoulder), as well as "Ringwood" (who designed the '89 suit) and "Burton" and "Hamm." I also see "Khouri" (who I think edits this book). (not sure if Quinones' signature is graffiti or simply a signature). Are there any I am missing?

I love easter eggs like this

Mighty Member

I see Dent is already putting two and two together. I'm wondering if he'll find out sooner rather than later.

Astonishing Member

So the kid who is most likely Robin is named ''Drake''...hmm. Interesting. Are they race-bending Tim Drake? Coincidentially, that seems to be what they're doing on Titans...

Harvey seems to be trying to trace Batman's identity through the Batmobile and the gadgets. Which...actually makes perfect sense, and I'm shocked this hasn't happened in mainstream continuity, like, a dozen times over!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Harvey seems to be trying to trace Batman's identity through the Batmobile and the gadgets. Which...actually makes perfect sense, and I'm shocked this hasn't happened in mainstream continuity, like, a dozen times over!
    Gordon and Essen were thinking about that in Year One.

Mighty Member

So the kid who is most likely Robin is named ''Drake''...hmm. Interesting. Are they race-bending Tim Drake? Coincidentially, that seems to be what they're doing on Titans...!
    His original name was Richard Drake (I think), but I think it was changed to Drake Winston.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Gordon and Essen were thinking about that in Year One.
    Yeah, they definitely were thinking along the lines of the money. But at that point, there was no Batmobile and the 'gadgets' were pretty low-key.

Its just as well that by the time Batman starts using Batmobiles and Batplanes and other really fancy stuff, Gordon was Commissioner and so Batman was mostly immune to investigation from the GCPD.

This is why I think Bruce's reveal during the Batman Inc story-arc that he's been funding Batman was a nice piece of misdirection...though it did make him somewhat culpable for Batman's actions if the authorities ever turned against him.

Spectacular Member

This was confirmed by Joe Quinones. Burton, Finger, Kane, and so on can be found on he cover, as well as a ripped down Penguin for Mayor sign which is visible without the Batman '89 logo.

This is why I think Bruce's reveal during the Batman Inc story-arc that he's been funding Batman was a nice piece of misdirection...though it did make him somewhat culpable for Batman's actions if the authorities ever turned against him.
    I never approved of that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I see Dent is already putting two and two together. I'm wondering if he'll find out sooner rather than later.
    Don't the Keaton movies and Batman Forever and Batman and Robin all take place in the same universe, recasts aside though? Two-Face very much didn't know Batman's identity in Batman Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    Don't the Keaton movies and Batman Forever and Batman and Robin all take place in the same universe, recasts aside though? Two-Face very much didn't know Batman's identity in Batman Forever.
    They're (rightfully) ignoring the non-Burton movies.