Extraordinary Member

Default Rorschach #12 Preview

Rorschach #12 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Jorge Fornés

It's the Endgame. :0

Incredible Member

This series doesn't seem to get much traction here, but I thought he stuck the landing.

Compared to the prior issue, which had all the major reveals and answer to the mystery, this issue didn't have any significant new bits of information. It did still have an air of inevitability. We knew where it was going after last issue, and yet it was still very interesting.

The tape recorder was utilized like Chekhov's gun, then it ultimately was and wasn't.
    I liked all the tiny details (taking off the coat, the dent in his car).

The Pontius Pirate stuff continues to sail over my head (I do admit to skipping and not reading some of those panels in the previous issues).
    That aside, a satisfying conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    This series doesn't seem to get much traction here, but I thought he stuck the landing.

Compared to the prior issue, which had all the major reveals and answer to the mystery, this issue didn't have any significant new bits of information. It did still have an air of inevitability. We knew where it was going after last issue, and yet it was still very interesting.

The tape recorder was utilized like Chekhov's gun, then it ultimately was and wasn't.
    I liked all the tiny details (taking off the coat, the dent in his car).

The Pontius Pirate stuff continues to sail over my head (I do admit to skipping and not reading some of those panels in the previous issues).
    That aside, a satisfying conclusion.
    Some multi-part stories have most of the results in the penultimate episode and the fallout in the final part. Here, we basically had everything except for the two-page spread detailed out ahead of time. I am going to reread all twelve parts as a whole to get the full impact, but it seems like there really are mysteries still unsolved as to what was really behind the entire thing with the hints of supernatural events.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Some multi-part stories have most of the results in the penultimate episode and the fallout in the final part. Here, we basically had everything except for the two-page spread detailed out ahead of time. I am going to reread all twelve parts as a whole to get the full impact, but it seems like there really are mysteries still unsolved as to what was really behind the entire thing with the hints of supernatural events.

Actually I'm going to do the same, reread all the 12 issues and look for hints.
    Obviously it ended this way with a purpose .
    Wonder if we'll get a follow up to see what happens to the private eye going forward ? I'm thinking not, but you never know.
    Last edited by TheKryptonMan; 09-23-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Hard to say if there are supernatural elements or that was a distraction from King. It was an interesting series, but as I have said before. It was too long and did not merit 12 issues. The length really hurt the story.
    Did like the Rorschach blotches on the investigator in the last panel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Hard to say if there are supernatural elements or that was a distraction from King. It was an interesting series, but as I have said before. It was too long and did not merit 12 issues. The length really hurt the story.
    Each issue focused on certain character interactions. Like with King's Mister Miracle, this enhanced the single issue reader's perceptions. The overall story was in 12 chapters. In a novel, the chapters can be any length, but as a comic issue the story needs to fill the 20some pages. I don't think there were too many chapters or issues here, but some of them could have been stretched out to fill an entire issue. There were mysteries here and not every item highlighted is important, unlike a James Bond movie where you know he will use every gadget Q gives him at the start. I tried to get through the series last weekend but only made it through six issues. I will try again when I have a nice relaxing afternoon.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

I think that the book having delays hurt the flow, had it come out every month it would have been better.
    The same is going on with other Tom King books with delays, I don't know if it's DC's fault in trying to extend it. Or just problems with the writer/ artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that the book having delays hurt the flow, had it come out every month it would have been better.
    The same is going on with other Tom King books with delays, I don't know if it's DC's fault in trying to extend it. Or just problems with the writer/ artists.
    True about Strange Adventures. Which is also to many issues. The scenes from the war on Rann have been repetitious.

With both books, stretched out as they are, the story loses impact. It might read better as a GN.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It will read better in a sense that you'll get to the ending "earlier" than waiting each month, but to me stretched out story is still stretched out regardless if it is in single issues or in collected edition.

It feels to me that the 12 issues was a publishing mandate rather than a choice from King. It doesn't feel like he needed all those issues to tell these stories.

It feels to me that the 12 issues was a publishing mandate rather than a choice from King. It doesn't feel like he needed all those issues to tell these stories.
    Yeah I feel like compression could have been utilised very well with this, after reading it issue to issue with some breather taken in between a chunk of issues, for me it seemed like things moved at a snails pace for a while then there were a couple of issues towards the end where so much exposition was kind of rounded up and filled up the issues, felt kinda uneven and could have been solved by having a more limited run - but that's just my feeling after finishing it ;/