Fantastic Member

Default Best/Worst Character Redemptions

Characters redeem themselves all the time, whether it's for something minor (like cheating) or major (murder). However in recent years, some redemption stories have worked, while others....ehh. So, which stories in all mediums (films, tv, books, animated,etc) have worked, and which stories really shouldn't have bothered?

Best: Zuko from Avatar

Worst: Hmm...Deckard Shaw from the Fast Saga.

For comic books, My Top Two (2) Favorites would be...

• Venom (Eddie Brock)

• Agent Venom (Flash Thompson)

The Thunderbolts, specifically Mach (insert series number), Songbird, and Atlas. They were really well done. No one swept their pasts under the rug and there wasn’t universal acceptance. It was a hard road for those guys and it should have been.

For animation, My Top Two (2) choices would be...

• Piccolo (ピッコロ)

• Vegeta (ベジータ)

As for the "don't even bother" category, my choice would be...

Captain Ginyu
    (ギニュー)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-12-2021 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Mighty Member

Best- Venom, from a disgraced nobody to the God of Symbiotes, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Character shift so much.

Worst- probably Snape from Harry Potter. I used to think he was alright, but that just because the acting was strong. The Character is basically an abusive ******* who couldn’t get over a girl who preferred some guy who bullied him as a kid.

Best: Magneto

Worst: Daken, not that it was a bad idea, but I think the different writers that handled the character didn't have a common goal for him, so he varied from anti-hero to villain in extreme ways between comicbook titles.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member

Worst: 'Jean was never Phoenix.' Way to completely undermine the integrity of your own story, Marvel.

Also worst: Cyclops gets out of having abandoned his wife and newborn son because his wife turns out to be a clone of his ex-girlfriend and then turns into a crazy supervillain. Redemption by victim-blaming.

I would have said Magneto for best if Marvel didn't do their damnest to ruin it as soon as his redemption arc was complete. Instead of a former villain who's evolved and changed he's just a bipolar nutjob who could be a parody of Hitler or more Xavier than Charles Xavier depending on the whims of whoever is writing/editing him that day.

In terms of overall fiction, Zuko will likely forever be the gold standard.