View Poll Results: Would You Be In Favor Of Disney Owning DC?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! The Mouse Could Handle The DC Properties Well

8 27.59%
  • No! The Mouse Would Do A Terrible Job.

9 31.03%
  • I’d Be Indifferent.

12 41.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If they bought Time-Warner/WB? Sure. But DC? Nope.
    Uh, yeah they would. Such a purchase would mean they control about 90+% of the comic book industry. That's the whole reason for antitrust.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Uh, yeah they would. Such a purchase would mean they control about 90+% of the comic book industry. That's the whole reason for antitrust.
    No, they wouldn't - comic books aren't considered an industry by the government of the USA - comic books are considered part of the periodical industry, magazines and such. Owning DC and Marvel doesn't comprise enough of that market to be considered a monopoly despite being most comic books. Because they're not most periodicals.

BANNED

Kinda wanna see an animated CGI Justice League film like something out of Pixar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Kinda wanna see an animated CGI Justice League film like something out of Pixar
    Disney hasn't even done that with their Marvel properties, unless you wanna count Big Hero 6 (I wouldn't, great film but not marketed as Marvel).

No, they wouldn't - comic books aren't considered an industry by the government of the USA - comic books are considered part of the periodical industry, magazines and such. Owning DC and Marvel doesn't comprise enough of that market to be considered a monopoly despite being most comic books. Because they're not most periodicals.
    Exactly - like I said, that's how Diamond got away with their distribution monopoly for more than 20 years, because the government didn't see it as one. It was their actions at the start of the pandemic that finally ended it (with DC moving to Lunar and Marvel to Penguin) and nothing to do with antitrust.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Exactly - like I said, that's how Diamond got away with their distribution monopoly for more than 20 years, because the government didn't see it as one. It was their actions at the start of the pandemic that finally ended it (with DC moving to Lunar and Marvel to Penguin) and nothing to do with antitrust.
    Although frankly while the government didn't see it as such, I think most of us would agree they're wrong and it was a monopoly, but eh not much we can do about that and pointless now.

Although frankly while the government didn't see it as such, I think most of us would agree they're wrong and it was a monopoly, but eh not much we can do about that and pointless now.
    Also, how much of a "monopoly" would it really be in the government's view?
    It's not as if there aren't other companies publishing comic books, and unfortunately would Marvel and DC be viewed as "significant" in the eyes of Washington D.C.?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also, how much of a "monopoly" would it really be in the government's view?
    It's not as if there aren't other companies publishing comic books, and unfortunately would Marvel and DC be viewed as "significant" in the eyes of Washington D.C.?
    Can't tell you - pointless speculation, we'll never know since they'd have to consider them separate from things like magazines to begin with to get that far.

If you are in the Justice Department and saying that on the basis of actual knowledge, I accept that (though I'd find it strange). I'd also accept if if you could point me some substantive source for your assertion. But if you are just spouting what you think is the case, I disagree. Comic books are different from print periodicals and do not compete with them. Heck, comics are not even sold (for the most part) at newstands anymore, so they don't even compete with printed periodicals for limited shelf space. But like I said, I'm open to be proven wrong.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

If you are in the Justice Department and saying that on the basis of actual knowledge, I accept that (though I'd find it strange). I'd also accept if if you could point me some substantive source for your assertion. But if you are just spouting what you think is the case, I disagree. Comic books are different from print periodicals and do not compete with them. Heck, comics are not even sold (for the most part) at newstands anymore, so they don't even compete with printed periodicals for limited shelf space. But like I said, I'm open to be proven wrong.
    Not in the justice department, and more knowledgeable people would have to provide sources - I just got it from posters here. But I remember they seemed knowledgeable at the time, I think they provided sources, and it's certainly the sort of view I'd expect the government to have - it's a small money print industry. You can feel free to disagree of course, and certainly welcomed to do your own research, but I'm convinced enough it's true and as others said explains how Diamond had their monopoly in this space for so long.

Not in the justice department, and more knowledgeable people would have to provide sources - I just got it from posters here. But I remember they seemed knowledgeable at the time, I think they provided sources, and it's certainly the sort of view I'd expect the government to have - it's a small money print industry. You can feel free to disagree of course, and certainly welcomed to do your own research, but I'm convinced enough it's true and as others said explains how Diamond had their monopoly in this space for so long.
    Fair enough. Do you know if anyone sued Diamond and what happened? The government might not feel that the comic industry is worth bringing an antitrust action, but a competitor who is being squeezed out can also bring an action.

Sandy
    Sandy Hausler

Sandy Hausler

Fair enough. Do you know if anyone sued Diamond and what happened? The government might not feel that the comic industry is worth bringing an antitrust action, but a competitor who is being squeezed out can also bring an action.

Sandy
    I don't know. Maybe someone brought up if it happened or not when I first heard/learned about it, but that was well over a year or two ago and it's not a subject I'm particularly interested in, so I've forgot. I just needed enough evidence at the time that made enough sense to me to make the decision that it was probably right/true, and my standards for that on this subject was lower then than what yours are now. Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you intend to research it I wish you a quick and successful search and am interested in what you find out.