View Poll Results: Should pop culture talk about current issues?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 50.00%
  • No

    7 23.33%
  • Depends on well they do it

    7 23.33%
  • Who cares? We have the news!

    1 3.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    285

    Default Should tv shows, films and comics talk about politics and social issues?

    The pop culture we consume should be able to sometimes reflect the times that we are in. Yet, there can be some, if not alot of, pushback. In recent years, for example, a lot of people have been complaining about how political Supergirl (the show) has gotten. Similar complaints have been made about shows like The Rookie and New Amsterdam. So, should television shows, as well as movies and comics, touch upon currents issues in society?

  2. #2

    Default

    Everything is political, honestly, or could be made to be.

    People will find a reason to complain, no matter what the writers try, and if they don't like it they can... stop me if this is complicated...

    WATCH SOMETHING ELSE THAT DOESN'T CHALLENGE THEIR FRAGILE IDENTITY.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    I think it’s a matter of quality… If the only thing you acknowledge in a piece of the work is the intention, then the author has failed. Because you haven’t been moved by it.

    I don’t have problem with pieces of work that are politically tainted as long as it is done… elegantly, cleverly.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,152

    Default

    I dont care if there are politics in a comic or show if it is done well. But we dont really watch it for that unless it is a show like the West Wing or something.

    We read comics so we can see crazy bad guys in a costume get slapped around by crazy good guys in a costume. If it is a political issue or some one finds some deeper meaning in it great. I dont look for that.

    Like The Xmen representing minorities and gays. I never got into that message, Some people take that from it. As a Bi Man I could care less. I see a guy with magnetic powers try and take over the world and get stopped by people, with crazy powers.

    Could Bruce Wayne do a better job at fighting crime and helping the poor of Gotham with his money other then High Tech toys, armored cars, and a Bat Suit? Hell yea he could I mean the Batmoblie has to cost at least a couple hundred Thousand. How many meals for the homeless would that buy, or how many homes could he buy for a single mother with 2 kids? But no one wants to read Social Reform Man giving a ten page speech about child poverty causing crime, or a splash panel of him cutting a check to keep an inner city school open. No we read to see him dressed as a bat kick the crap out of a crazy clown.

    But the thing is comics have always been political. From Superman going after wife beaters, crooked business men, gambling Dens and even dangerous drivers in the Golden Age.

    But even if there was no underlining message someone will find one and as WBE said someone will always find something to complain about. I mean Just Sam Wilson being Captain America had tons of people bitching or Superman Smashes the Klan. People get mad at USAgent being so right wing.

    Always something.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-12-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    813

    Default

    I actually like it when media deals with political issues, it helps make the story interesting. Even if I disagree with the politics (24 for example), i like how it incoperates it's politics to give the story weight.

    There are instances where i feel like the discussion is messy And in fact it's why i try to keep out of those discussions as much as possible.
    I've said this before And i'll say it again however, i wish comics like X-men would deal with social issues in their comics like Mutants being racist to other Mutants or homophobia. As much as X-men are my favorite team, i'd love to read an X-force arc where they have to deal with a Mutant white supremacy group

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,234

    Default

    Comics, TV, and Movies ( and literature and music ) as mediums have literally never not addressed social issues.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm fine with it but it's a matter of execution. A poorly thought out political subplot is no different than a poorly thought out love story.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-13-2021 at 08:00 AM.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I actually like it when media deals with political issues, it helps make the story interesting. Even if I disagree with the politics (24 for example), i like how it incoperates it's politics to give the story weight.

    There are instances where i feel like the discussion is messy And in fact it's why i try to keep out of those discussions as much as possible.
    I've said this before And i'll say it again however, i wish comics like X-men would deal with social issues in their comics like Mutants being racist to other Mutants or homophobia. As much as X-men are my favorite team, i'd love to read an X-force arc where they have to deal with a Mutant white supremacy group
    This would be a good story Arc but I never see them doing that. Marvel has ridden high on the Mutants are a metaphor for whatever oppressed group/minority struggle is in the news that month.

    If the Mutants were the racists, if the mutants the Homo/Transphopic bad guys the Marvel could not bring them out in the clumsy "Hey we are on your side we get your struggle." Story attepmts.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I actually like it when media deals with political issues, it helps make the story interesting. Even if I disagree with the politics (24 for example), i like how it incoperates it's politics to give the story weight.

    There are instances where i feel like the discussion is messy And in fact it's why i try to keep out of those discussions as much as possible.
    I've said this before And i'll say it again however, i wish comics like X-men would deal with social issues in their comics like Mutants being racist to other Mutants or homophobia. As much as X-men are my favorite team, i'd love to read an X-force arc where they have to deal with a Mutant white supremacy group
    Actually, Magneto, written by some authors, is very close to a mutant supremacist… There were times he wanted to rule the world, and there were times he wanted to get rid of these pesky humans that are so inferior to him.

    Now, the X-men are all in a “apartheid is wonderful” mode. I don’t say that it isn’t the solution, the “mutant problem” being so peculiar… But what is the purpose to tackle political questions if it doesn’t trigger any controversies? The point of stories is that the protagonists discuss about difficult matters in a way that is subtle.

    Anyway, the mutants isn’t a good metaphor for anything in our world: people aren’t both dangerous psychopaths and innocent victims, well, not at the same time…

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Actually, Magneto, written by some authors, is very close to a mutant supremacist… There were times he wanted to rule the world, and there were times he wanted to get rid of these pesky humans that are so inferior to him.

    Now, the X-men are all in a “apartheid is wonderful” mode. I don’t say that it isn’t the solution, the “mutant problem” being so peculiar… But what is the purpose to tackle political questions if it doesn’t trigger any controversies? The point of stories is that the protagonists discuss about difficult matters in a way that is subtle.

    Anyway, the mutants isn’t a good metaphor for anything in our world: people aren’t both dangerous psychopaths and innocent victims, well, not at the same time…
    I didn't mind Magneto portrayed as such, I did like how Morrison handled him in their New X-Men run.
    But what I mean is a group of white cis mutants who are just white supremacists. Like Nazi Mutants. I could imagine that would lead to them basically getting slaughtered by Magneto and Wolverine (and even Captain America).

    Mutants aren't a 1:1 representation of social issues, you can only really say so much with it.
    But placing social issues in the Mutant World can be more representative.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,764

    Default

    I think that if the show or movie is more about a message than the story than it's a problem...

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member Xheight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that if the show or movie is more about a message than the story than it's a problem...
    Quite true - All fiction has some amount of allegory which is where genre picks up what its subject is for that allegory and saying something around an idea but the best of it remains speculative not assertive and certainly not propaganda for a concept. Superhero science fiction is perhaps most prone to this assertion because it is so often engaged in moral issues of right and wrong, crime and punishment that it can't help come off as propaganda if you don't follow the logic of the set up, set ups which are usually deeply entrenched with certain ideologies and bias to begin with. Marvel's Civil War anyone?

    For me that is the main reason I don't bother anymore with X-titles, it is just so one note concept and ideology that doesn't resonate as it once did.
    Last edited by Xheight; 09-13-2021 at 08:17 AM.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    The pop culture we consume should be able to sometimes reflect the times that we are in. Yet, there can be some, if not alot of, pushback. In recent years, for example, a lot of people have been complaining about how political Supergirl (the show) has gotten. Similar complaints have been made about shows like The Rookie and New Amsterdam. So, should television shows, as well as movies and comics, touch upon currents issues in society?
    Is that even a question? Of course it should.

    Nothing better than to read or watch something who entertains you and challenge a bit your views. You may agree or disagree with what is presented but at least it has something to say.

    Dumb, mindless entertainment is fun sometimes but when that's all there is, damn, that really says something sad about the state of culture and creation.

    It's just like food, you need a bit of everything and don't be afraid to be exposed to opinions you disagree with.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-13-2021 at 10:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    I don't see how that is even a question. Comics are like any other art form and reflect the issues of the day. You can look back at say some of the Superdickery issues of Superman and learn quite a bit about some notions of the time. You can see the struggle accepting and adapting to progress and women's rights in a number of books. Why would that be any different today?

    For example, what would a journalist like Lois or Clark think about the previous Administration 's outright attack on the Fourth Estate? How would either of them feel about the rampant misinformation being spread to prey upon people in pain and in mental or spiritual crisis? Superman has "the American Way" in his tagline. He should be a critical eye into the world. Perhaps not as much as WW for whom such critique and activism are in her conception but certainly organically given the trappings of the verse. Why would people have a problem with that?

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,764

    Default

    But also politics and the message can hijack a show or comic to where it's more about that message, whatever it is, than the characters contained within, one reason that all of these reboots of old shows and such keep failing, they try to change them to much to follow modern rules and such and they don't work...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •