View Poll Results: Should pop culture talk about current issues?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 50.00%
  • No

7 18.42%
  • Depends on well they do it

10 26.32%
  • Who cares? We have the news!

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Should tv shows, films and comics talk about politics and social issues?

The pop culture we consume should be able to sometimes reflect the times that we are in. Yet, there can be some, if not alot of, pushback. In recent years, for example, a lot of people have been complaining about how political Supergirl (the show) has gotten. Similar complaints have been made about shows like The Rookie and New Amsterdam. So, should television shows, as well as movies and comics, touch upon currents issues in society?

Everything is political, honestly, or could be made to be.

People will find a reason to complain, no matter what the writers try, and if they don't like it they can... stop me if this is complicated...

WATCH SOMETHING ELSE THAT DOESN'T CHALLENGE THEIR FRAGILE IDENTITY.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I think it’s a matter of quality… If the only thing you acknowledge in a piece of the work is the intention, then the author has failed. Because you haven’t been moved by it.

I don’t have problem with pieces of work that are politically tainted as long as it is done… elegantly, cleverly.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I dont care if there are politics in a comic or show if it is done well. But we dont really watch it for that unless it is a show like the West Wing or something.

We read comics so we can see crazy bad guys in a costume get slapped around by crazy good guys in a costume. If it is a political issue or some one finds some deeper meaning in it great. I dont look for that.

Like The Xmen representing minorities and gays. I never got into that message, Some people take that from it. As a Bi Man I could care less. I see a guy with magnetic powers try and take over the world and get stopped by people, with crazy powers.

Could Bruce Wayne do a better job at fighting crime and helping the poor of Gotham with his money other then High Tech toys, armored cars, and a Bat Suit? Hell yea he could I mean the Batmoblie has to cost at least a couple hundred Thousand. How many meals for the homeless would that buy, or how many homes could he buy for a single mother with 2 kids? But no one wants to read Social Reform Man giving a ten page speech about child poverty causing crime, or a splash panel of him cutting a check to keep an inner city school open. No we read to see him dressed as a bat kick the crap out of a crazy clown.

But the thing is comics have always been political. From Superman going after wife beaters, crooked business men, gambling Dens and even dangerous drivers in the Golden Age.

But even if there was no underlining message someone will find one and as WBE said someone will always find something to complain about. I mean Just Sam Wilson being Captain America had tons of people bitching or Superman Smashes the Klan. People get mad at USAgent being so right wing.

Always something.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-12-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

I actually like it when media deals with political issues, it helps make the story interesting. Even if I disagree with the politics (24 for example), i like how it incoperates it's politics to give the story weight.

There are instances where i feel like the discussion is messy And in fact it's why i try to keep out of those discussions as much as possible.
    I've said this before And i'll say it again however, i wish comics like X-men would deal with social issues in their comics like Mutants being racist to other Mutants or homophobia. As much as X-men are my favorite team, i'd love to read an X-force arc where they have to deal with a Mutant white supremacy group

Invincible Member

Comics, TV, and Movies ( and literature and music ) as mediums have literally never not addressed social issues.

I'm fine with it but it's a matter of execution. A poorly thought out political subplot is no different than a poorly thought out love story.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-13-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I actually like it when media deals with political issues, it helps make the story interesting. Even if I disagree with the politics (24 for example), i like how it incoperates it's politics to give the story weight.

There are instances where i feel like the discussion is messy And in fact it's why i try to keep out of those discussions as much as possible.
    I've said this before And i'll say it again however, i wish comics like X-men would deal with social issues in their comics like Mutants being racist to other Mutants or homophobia. As much as X-men are my favorite team, i'd love to read an X-force arc where they have to deal with a Mutant white supremacy group
    This would be a good story Arc but I never see them doing that. Marvel has ridden high on the Mutants are a metaphor for whatever oppressed group/minority struggle is in the news that month.

If the Mutants were the racists, if the mutants the Homo/Transphopic bad guys the Marvel could not bring them out in the clumsy "Hey we are on your side we get your struggle." Story attepmts.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post

Actually, Magneto, written by some authors, is very close to a mutant supremacist… There were times he wanted to rule the world, and there were times he wanted to get rid of these pesky humans that are so inferior to him.

Now, the X-men are all in a “apartheid is wonderful” mode. I don’t say that it isn’t the solution, the “mutant problem” being so peculiar… But what is the purpose to tackle political questions if it doesn’t trigger any controversies? The point of stories is that the protagonists discuss about difficult matters in a way that is subtle.

Anyway, the mutants isn’t a good metaphor for anything in our world: people aren’t both dangerous psychopaths and innocent victims, well, not at the same time…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Actually, Magneto, written by some authors, is very close to a mutant supremacist… There were times he wanted to rule the world, and there were times he wanted to get rid of these pesky humans that are so inferior to him.

Now, the X-men are all in a “apartheid is wonderful” mode. I don’t say that it isn’t the solution, the “mutant problem” being so peculiar… But what is the purpose to tackle political questions if it doesn’t trigger any controversies? The point of stories is that the protagonists discuss about difficult matters in a way that is subtle.

Anyway, the mutants isn’t a good metaphor for anything in our world: people aren’t both dangerous psychopaths and innocent victims, well, not at the same time…
    I didn't mind Magneto portrayed as such, I did like how Morrison handled him in their New X-Men run.
    But what I mean is a group of white cis mutants who are just white supremacists. Like Nazi Mutants. I could imagine that would lead to them basically getting slaughtered by Magneto and Wolverine (and even Captain America).

Mutants aren't a 1:1 representation of social issues, you can only really say so much with it.
    But placing social issues in the Mutant World can be more representative.

Ultimate Member

I think that if the show or movie is more about a message than the story than it's a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that if the show or movie is more about a message than the story than it's a problem...
    Quite true - All fiction has some amount of allegory which is where genre picks up what its subject is for that allegory and saying something around an idea but the best of it remains speculative not assertive and certainly not propaganda for a concept. Superhero science fiction is perhaps most prone to this assertion because it is so often engaged in moral issues of right and wrong, crime and punishment that it can't help come off as propaganda if you don't follow the logic of the set up, set ups which are usually deeply entrenched with certain ideologies and bias to begin with. Marvel's Civil War anyone?

For me that is the main reason I don't bother anymore with X-titles, it is just so one note concept and ideology that doesn't resonate as it once did.
    Last edited by Xheight; 09-13-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    The pop culture we consume should be able to sometimes reflect the times that we are in. Yet, there can be some, if not alot of, pushback. In recent years, for example, a lot of people have been complaining about how political Supergirl (the show) has gotten. Similar complaints have been made about shows like The Rookie and New Amsterdam. So, should television shows, as well as movies and comics, touch upon currents issues in society?
    Is that even a question? Of course it should.

Nothing better than to read or watch something who entertains you and challenge a bit your views. You may agree or disagree with what is presented but at least it has something to say.

Dumb, mindless entertainment is fun sometimes but when that's all there is, damn, that really says something sad about the state of culture and creation.

It's just like food, you need a bit of everything and don't be afraid to be exposed to opinions you disagree with.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-13-2021 at 10:25 AM.

I don't see how that is even a question. Comics are like any other art form and reflect the issues of the day. You can look back at say some of the Superdickery issues of Superman and learn quite a bit about some notions of the time. You can see the struggle accepting and adapting to progress and women's rights in a number of books. Why would that be any different today?

For example, what would a journalist like Lois or Clark think about the previous Administration 's outright attack on the Fourth Estate? How would either of them feel about the rampant misinformation being spread to prey upon people in pain and in mental or spiritual crisis? Superman has "the American Way" in his tagline. He should be a critical eye into the world. Perhaps not as much as WW for whom such critique and activism are in her conception but certainly organically given the trappings of the verse. Why would people have a problem with that?

Ultimate Member

But also politics and the message can hijack a show or comic to where it's more about that message, whatever it is, than the characters contained within, one reason that all of these reboots of old shows and such keep failing, they try to change them to much to follow modern rules and such and they don't work...