Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The tone seems disjointed for me. Especially episode 1 I felt like it was a bit all over. Like it wanted to be action comedy in places. Then had "mystery underground shady stepdad" going on. I found it weird and it was taking me out of the show.

Kate's family stuff is hellishly boring. I legit do not care whats going on with Stepdad. I really liked the mom's line about her being entitled and young and rich thinking shes invincible. I have higher hopes for Echo to make this more interesting. It's crying out for some supporting cast you actually like.

I was imagining Kate, juxtaposed against Eli Bradley their backgrounds so different seeing something like that play off each other would be very cool in Young Avengers. But, I'm jumping ahead because I need Kate to play off someone more interesting.

I'm just going to say it, Kate's stuff felt very CW Arrow. Not really a fan of The Swordsman being poached to help prop up Kate's story.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-24-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Kate's aunt being Moira Brandon is a neat Easter egg.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm just going to say it, Kate's stuff felt very CW Arrow. Not really a fan of The Swordsman being poached to help prop up Kate's story.

It did. But I didn't mind that. The first season or two of Arrow was pretty good.

Ultimate Member

I really enjoyed this.

The tone of the series seems to be following Fractions work quite closely (i noticed he's a supervising producer on the series which is great). Fraction's Hawkeye was quite funny overall but got really, really dark and violent some times.

Also casting Tony Dalton as Swordsman is just perfect casting IMO.

I love Clint being the defacto mentor to young heroes. First Natasha, then Wanda and now Kate (and possibly Yelena.) It makes sense because he's the only Avenger with actual kids. It's a cool piece of characterization that's being shown, not told.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I really enjoyed this.

The tone of the series seems to be following Fractions work quite closely (i noticed he's a supervising producer on the series which is great). Fraction's Hawkeye was quite funny overall but got really, really dark and violent some times.

Also casting Tony Dalton as Swordsman is just perfect casting IMO.
    It would have been nice if David Aya got some compensation. The promotional posters and look of the opening and closing credits are heavily based on his art.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It would have been nice if David Aya got some compensation. The promotional posters and look of the opening and closing credits are heavily based on his art.
    Very, very good point.

Speaking of the which, is this the first MCU D+ show that actually has an intro?

Maybe WandaVision sort of counts, but those were different and were more used to help sell the changing premise of the show and we’re more like a part of the story…and they eventually stopped.

Astonishing Member

Watched 2nd episode. Having a lot of fun. Show is keeping me interested. Tons going on. Really can't ask for more.

That watch they wanted so bad over everything else. Is that’s Tony’s Watch from Civil war the pulled out into a repulsor? If so I wonder if instead of king pin like the comics if Justin Hammer could be behind hiring them. Leading into Armor wars after.

Really enjoyed the show so far. Loved the interplay between her and Clint more then her family drama but I’m interested to see where it all goes. I have a feeling Jack will end up not being a bad guy but the mom being the one(She killed the father and blamed the battle of New York)

Edit: Googled it and yea no way that’s Tony’s watch from Civil war. Looks nothing like it.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-25-2021 at 03:29 AM.

I was wondering about that. At least pay the man what they would have paid a designer since they just outright lifted all his work. I wonder if going forward certain top artists work in future possible compensation for use in outside media into their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Speaking of the which, is this the first MCU D+ show that actually has an intro?

Maybe WandaVision sort of counts, but those were different and were more used to help sell the changing premise of the show and we’re more like a part of the story…and they eventually stopped.
    We're only two eps in, but the first opening credits told us Kate's life growing up. It wasn't in the second ep, which had closing credits featuring Kate and Clint. I wouldn't be surprised if the other eps change it up each time, especially as more characters like Echo factor into the story.

Btw, it was cute that the tower Kate destroys was "Stane Tower." Is that supposed to make us feel less bad about it being destroyed?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-25-2021 at 07:16 AM.

I was surprised that Stane still have enough respect to have a tower named after him.

I'm almost spamming this thread, but I keep having thoughts and it's a holiday weekend where I have nothing better to do (at least before football starts), so...

Theory:
    -- Doing the math, this seems to take place in 2027. Kate started martial arts at 5 (guessing it was because of the invasion in 2012 and not before, and she didn't wait long to start) and she said she's 22.
    -- Kate says she's 22, but Clint thought she was younger. Someone else asked if she's old enough to drink. I think they're hinting that Kate might have been blipped.
    -- Kate's mom runs a security company. She didn't seem to be doing that in 2012 - she's dressed very comfortably, has time to play checkers and they're worried about money. If Kate was blipped and her mom wasn't, she might have become as traumatized as Kate and took to security as a way to cope. We've seen that the D+ tv shows deal with the more emotional fallout of all these giant cataclysmic events of the MCU so my theory is that I think this whole story will be about the bad things her mom did and is doing because of her trauma over losing her husband in 2012 and Kate in the Blip.

Random Questions:
    -- How did Clint even find Kate at the end of Ep 1?
    -- I wonder how 2027 lines up Val's appearance in "F&WS?" Do we know what year that took place? (presumably her appearance in BW was close to this one. Yelena did say she was on vacation so it might've been the holidays )
    -- Interesting that the pic Val shows Yelena is of Clint wearing the Ronin costume. Nevermind how she even got that photo...
    -- Does Kate even wonder why Clint cares about the Ronin costume? I'm looking forward to seeing Clint explain that time of his life to Kate.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-25-2021 at 08:56 AM.

The series takes place in 2024.