Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

They did make Wanda lose her accent though so if Yelena ends up operating from the US I could see them removing her accent, too.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Or just acting. There are plenty of people on weekly tv shows that put on an accent as part of their character. I'm sure Pugh can manage it every couple years or however often we end up seeing Yalena.
    True, but also Elizabeth Olsen ended completely dropping hers, so accents unfortunately don't have the best track record in the MCU among heroine.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    True, but also Elizabeth Olsen ended completely dropping hers, so accents unfortunately don't have the best track record in the MCU among heroine.
    Olsen does bring it back from time to time, usually when she is stressed.

Just finished the last episode and loved it. I did think that Kingpin did get a really bad showing, though. Realistically he should have snapped Kate like a twig in front of her mother, just to make her mother suffer more. And yeah, his wardrobe was terrible. That Hawaiian shirt and the fedora? Sheesh. I do like he got his diamond-topped cane, though.

Loved Yelena completely she had a wonderfully playful fight with Kate, and then went to town on Clint. She finally got some sense of closure over Natasha, and made peace with Clint. Now she can move on to other things- like a buddy-cop show with Kate. Dear god I want that to happen. The pair are wonderful together, and I can see Yelena becoming another mentor to Kate.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't try to get Shane Black to direct an episode of this. A buddy-cop dramadey set at Christmas? How was he NOT involved?

I'll be honest- I actually thought they got permission to shoot at Rockefeller Plaza up until they dropped the tree. I mean, if anybody could book that location, it would be Disney.

Not surprised Laura was actually Mockingbird at one point. That's been a rumor since Age of Ultron.

I couldn't believe the LARPers became somewhat central to the plot, but I thought that was fun. And Jack was hilarious- and it was nice to see that Kate warmed up to him.

All in all, I thought this was one of the better shows they've put out. Still haven't watched What If yet, so I 'd probably rank them Loki, Hawkeye, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Wandavision.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Hawkeye was honestly bland and the appearance of Fisk was underwhelming. In hindsight, FATWS is probably the best of the Disney+ shows. It had it's faults too, like a muddled message that was sloppily done, and couldn't stick the landing. But It was still the better show tho.
    I liked the finale, but I'm not surprised Kinpin's return has diminishing returns. The Daredevil show already did all the meaty parts you can do with him. His rise to power and slowly becoming a monster in s1, him languishing in jail while setting up his big return, and said big return in s3 where he's a complete villain getting a final showdown with Matt. Anything beyond that will probably be retreading old ground. All thats left is kinda the novelty of him fighting mcu heroes like Kate&Clint and probably eventually Spider-man. Speaking of Daredevil, I'm glad to see that old 'get the costume in the final episode' hasn't gone anywhere

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

As far as Disney shows go I'll say

Loki > Hawkeye > Wandavision > Falcon & Winter Soldier > What If

I think this show sticks the landing the best of all the shows. I wasn't disappointed with how it all ended up.

Amazing Member

I thought Hawkeye was far and away the best Marvel tv show. Best balance of action, drama, and humor. Jeremy Renner has the most screen presence.

Another huge plus was being able to see Kate grow as a hero, I was honestly worried they were gonna Mary Sue her ala Star Wars. I don't know if any of this stuff is successful enough for a season 2, but I would love to see more of this cast. Even the Swordsman grew on me by the end.

So it turns out that Eleanor didn't murder Kate's dad, but went into bed with the Kingpin to cover her husbands' debts and prevent their family from falling to poverty, although the way Eleanor was going on about how she had to "take responsibility" for her husbands' actions almost made me think one of the things Fisk had her do was take Derek out, although now Eleanor is more or less Derek in the context of MCU Kate as her parent that is secretly a criminal that emotionally breaks her...but not enough to prevent her from stopping her mom and arresting her. On Christmas Eve. Poor Kate.

Look at Kingpin in his comic accurate suit with the purple pants and cane! They even fit in his Hawaiian shirt from that Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business GN.

Clint finally called Kate his partner.

I'm glad they set up the fact that the LARPERS are actually police/emergency responders because that better justifies Clint and Kate roping them into this than it would if they were ordinary civilians...although the fact that they felt they would be more effective at managing a crowd in LARP gear is a choice.

Kate and Yelena has to be the most hilarious and amusing elevator fight in the MCU. Kate literally slapped her! And that Kate had prepared it so she could rip her dress off for her costume was so Kate. And then they're just throwing stuff and slipping around each other. It was amazing.

We got Jacques swinging his sword around, slicing people up, and just in general being an amusing gentleman who Kate was wrong about and deserved better than he got...I still wish someone had called him a "Swordsman" though.

The much-teased costumes for Clint and Kate are...Clint's current comic look and the suit Kate was already running around in with maybe a different logo? I didn't notice a difference. Not really all that visually impressive (Clint looks more like a jogger or someone going to the gym than a Superhero), although I guess I shouldn't have expected as much from LARPER's working on under a CW budget, but I guess it's nice that they ended things in some semblance of costumes.

Those Tracksuits didn't stand a chance against all those Trick Arrows. Also random CGI owl appears and drags off the truck that was downsized with Pym Particles. I love how Clint mentions Scott and we can assume they talk.

Maya looks like a completely different person with her hair loose. Although she says she's trying to get out of the life, the fact that she's getting her own show, is known for being a costumed vigilante, and probably didn't succeed in killing "Uncle Fisk" means that likely won't work out one way or another.

Kazi wasn't really the Clown so in the end it feels like the show only included him because he was in the Fraction run, a major antagonist, and involved with the Tracksuits, and subtituted a dynamic with Kate for one with Maya...who even assuming he might have been involved with her fathers' death still tried to save him. Although did she push the arrow into him or did he do it to himself so he wouldn't have to really kill Maya?

I guess at the end of the day it didn't matter to Yelena how Natasha died, it just mattered to her that her sister was gone and she had no way to channel her grief than by attacking the last person to see her...which was Clint. But in the end the pair were able to commiserate and come together in their shared loss and how much they both loved Natasha and come to peace with each other.

Kate vs. Kingpin...I mean, dear lord, they really bumped up how tough Fisk is here. Like they were deliberately trying to portray a Kingpin that could potentially take on Spider-Man and believably hold his own. Like with the amount of punishment he took and shrugged off, does anyone really think a bullet from Echo would stop him?

Clint brings Kate and Lucky home for Christmas.

So the big reveal about the watch is that...Laura Barton is Agent-19, which was Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird's SHIELD designation. On the one hand this implies that Laura is the true MCU version of Mockingbird instead of Adrianne Paleicki (sorry AoS fans), and for the sake of purists means that, yes, Clint is married to his actual comic wife. Although potentially they won't dive into it any deeper than that and the idea that she worked at SHIELD and met Clint there, so as not to ruffle any feathers, but you could potentially headcanon either the Agent-19 designation gets passed around or Laura is Bobbi incognito because she's just that wanted. Pick your preference.

How nice of Kate to be open to Hawkeye-derivative codenames.

The reason why I brought up accents is because Olsen lost hers almost immediately after AoU. Now the Black Panther characters have maintained theirs for the entirety of the time they've been in the MCU, but they have never lived in the US and/or UK for extended periods of times. Don't know much about Yelena's history in the comic books, but I imagine she sticks around in America for a while. So her accent might change. The thing is, I believe Pugh is British. So she might have to use ANOTHER accent for future movies and shows.

Pretty sure Olsen lost hers more due to the actor's struggling to maintain it, rather than anything planned out.

Incredible Member

Why was the watch at the Avengers compound in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    spoilers:
    Her storyline with Clint just needed one more writing touch up to me. They needed to have given her a false story of what happened to Natasha on Voromir to sell that. The way it's written she had NO clue what happened to her. Like AT ALL. So, it makes no sense why she so vehemently wanted to kill Clint. Had they just written that she was told somewhere that Clint sacrificed her to save his ass. Made her truly believe Clint betrayed his friend. And then they clear it up the same way and he explains that's not what happened that would be way better written.
    end of spoilers
    Yalena got the job from Valentina at the end of Black Widow. Val seems to be working for the US gov't (or strongly giving that impression) and could have easily fed her false information to make her want to go along with the assignment.
    Sounds perfect.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Pretty sure Olsen lost hers more due to the actor's struggling to maintain it, rather than anything planned out.
    It reminded me of Halle Berry Storm accent. Some actors can't do a good accent. And it's better to drop it when you realize it isn't good and you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Why was the watch at the Avengers compound in the first place?

Yalena got the job from Valentina at the end of Black Widow. Val seems to be working for the US gov't (or strongly giving that impression) and could have easily fed her false information to make her want to go along with the assignment.
    All it would have taken in that case is her actually saying she got misleading info to connect the dots. You are just fixing the small connectivity issue yourself with the suggestion.

It isn't a big deal in the end but it's a small detail that would have wrapped it up much neater for me.

As for the watch, we understand why Clint wanted to get it back for her. But why did they go looking for it in the first place? They robbed an auction for that watch. Why? Did they think it had the key to an armory? Info they wanted. Again, a small detail that could have been explained better since they made such a big deal out of it.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 12-22-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Yeah, I agree with you about that. Folks still give Lizzie a hard time about it. They even made jokes about Olsen's Sokovian accent in WandaVision. What I don't understand is that Yelena (as a little girl) spoke PERFECT English at the beginning of that Black Widow movie. Like it was flawless. Couldn't she go back to talking like that?!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you about that. Folks still give Lizzie a hard time about it. They even made jokes about Olsen's Sokovian accent in WandaVision. What I don't understand is that Yelena (as a little girl) spoke PERFECT English at the beginning of that Black Widow movie. Like it was flawless. Couldn't she go back to talking like that?!
    She could but as I was saying before, I think audiences like her accent and particular way of speaking. It's a part of her character now.

She could but as I was saying before, I think audiences like her accent and particular way of speaking. It's a part of her character now.
    You're right again! Apparently of all the Russian-speakers in Black Widow, Florence Pugh's accent was the best one (according to a Russian dialect coach):

https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/bl...ence-pugh.html

Incredible Member

To answer my own question, Clint probably wore the watch as a remembrance after the blip and it was with his stuff at the compound.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    All it would have taken in that case is her actually saying she got misleading info to connect the dots. You are just fixing the small connectivity issue yourself with the suggestion.

It isn't a big deal in the end but it's a small detail that would have wrapped it up much neater for me.
    It wasn't really important for the scene and would have taken away from the drama.
    Sounds perfect.