Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    In looking at those costumes, it would seem to take place in the early days. The most boring of days for the X-men IMO, so I’ll pass.
    But it looks like Xavier is walking on the cover, and not in his wheelchair at the table. That's inconsistent with the O5 days. Also, why wouldn't have Beast remembered Sinister later on? Hmmm.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As an aging, nostalgic 90's kid, I really really want to like this title... but it has no real reason for existing.

They tried the concept before with Claremont's X-Men Forever, and that ended up a huge mess. We all know full well these stories are *not* actually continuations of anything, nor are they truly "untold tales" that the original creators didn't get to see published. They're filler that's being thrown together on the fly to satisfy an itch for the aging, nostalgic.... ah, $h!t. Never mind.
    The problem is they did not put a limit on Claremont. The X-Factor Forever mini was just fine, and I often forget it is not actually canon.

Filler stories was the thing for a long time, as long as they had a beginning, middle, end kind of structure and were a fun read it was all good. Maybe it is just the lack of pretending that these are groundbreaking, universe shattering, franchise defining books that does appeal to my aging, nostalgic self lol. No lie, since this book came out I don't really care what they are doing with the main books.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The problem is they did not put a limit on Claremont. The X-Factor Forever mini was just fine, and I often forget it is not actually canon.

Filler stories was the thing for a long time, as long as they had a beginning, middle, end kind of structure and were a fun read it was all good. Maybe it is just the lack of pretending that these are groundbreaking, universe shattering, franchise defining books that does appeal to my aging, nostalgic self lol. No lie, since this book came out I don't really care what they are doing with the main books.
    Yeah, I'm mostly being contrarian.

I liked Nicieza's Adam-X arc, loved PAD's X-Factor story, and will probably like this one too. I think I'm just annoyed that Marvel can't be honest and insists on saying this stuff is official continuity. Like, does anyone believe for a second that one of the OG 5 will ever bring up the time Ship tried to eat them all?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dumdumdumdumdum View Post
    But it looks like Xavier is walking on the cover, and not in his wheelchair at the table. That's inconsistent with the O5 days. Also, why wouldn't have Beast remembered Sinister later on? Hmmm.
    That's why I think this might be a meeting on the Astral Plane - this is how they see themselves in this environment that Sinister's created for them.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I'm mostly being contrarian.

I liked Nicieza's Adam-X arc, loved PAD's X-Factor story, and will probably like this one too. I think I'm just annoyed that Marvel can't be honest and insists on saying this stuff is official continuity. Like, does anyone believe for a second that one of the OG 5 will ever bring up the time Ship tried to eat them all?
    It is somewhat lame Marvel has sort of teased this as being relevant to the current/future plots, and they did that with everything they were releasing right before Hickman too.

Astonishing Member

Just because an event doesn't get brought up again doesn't mean it doesn't count for continuity though. Some stuff may come up again at some point (like Adam-X's family background) and some won't. It all depends on whether there is a relevant reason to bring it up.

As an aging, nostalgic 90's kid, I really really want to like this title... but it has no real reason for existing.

They tried the concept before with Claremont's X-Men Forever, and that ended up a huge mess. We all know full well these stories are *not* actually continuations of anything, nor are they truly "untold tales" that the original creators didn't get to see published. They're filler that's being thrown together on the fly to satisfy an itch for the aging, nostalgic.... ah, $h!t. Never mind.
    So much This
    GrindrStone(D)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

O5 Beast
    Walking Xavier
    Some unused Fabian villain

I wonder what he has planned? His Adam X story was good.
    "Cable was right!"

Sinister was introduced at the end of Inferno. How is Beast human?

Astonishing Member

Pretty much the reason i can't get hyped for these stories either. Nothing told here will have true impact on current or future stories. Otherwise these stories would be told in the current books to follow up on them. Which comes in addition to covering eras of the X-men that were allready old history by the time i got into the comics.

So i have no "nostalgia" for them on account of not having "lived" their release and read them as they came out. Instead i read them when they were allready concluded, their stories told, wrapped up and progressed to the next stage.
    I know where the history allready went long after them, who lives, who dies, who tells their stories. I enjoyed or disliked them on that basis. Continued with excitment or frustration to the next story, but always knowing where it allready ended.

To me these stories are somewhere between filling out empty spaces nobody was bothered about anymore or stiching new fabrics to a tapestry allready finished (like George Lucas edits of his old Star Wars movies). They are retrospective side stories.

Which in itself is perfectly fine and enjoyable. But it's not the same as being the stories released at the time.

Reminds me that i'm kind of glad the late 90's aren't a classic time for the core X-books. It would be quite frustrating to see Marrow as part of the team, knowing she was dropped from the book by Claremont with no explanation EVER, followed by 20 years of being mostly gone or handled badly.

At least most team members from the 80's had plenty of ups to their downs and stuck around.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    Sinister was introduced at the end of Inferno. How is Beast human?
    Sinister appears during the Outback era and was the reason why Maddie Pryor joined the team. The X-Men first meet him after the demon invasion in Inferno.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Wow! Fantastic drawing. Why can't they have this quality in the regular X titles like New Mutants?

I am going to get this solely for the art.