Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You never know .
    True - but I still doubt it and don't want to see this take go that goofy, personally. Him using a normal, non-trick umbrella, or maybe an umbrella sword since those exist? Sure.
    But there's no reason on earth why anyone not into steampunk or victorian duds would do the top hat and monocle look.
    I just don't see this taking that campy a direction after what we've seen of it, and I don't want it to change into that. If that's what is to be done with Penguin, then the movie would have to be very, very different from what all signs indicate it to be.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Cool, there are a few good Penguin stories with to draw from if they're going to drill into the dark core of the character. Triumphant and Pain and Prejudice come to mind.

I imagine it'll just be a crime drama, though. Sopranos but starring Penguin? I'm down.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

REALLLY??? Mr Cobbleppot in a Show??

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    True - but I still doubt it and don't want to see this take go that goofy, personally. Him using a normal, non-trick umbrella, or maybe an umbrella sword since those exist? Sure.
    But there's no reason on earth why anyone not into steampunk or victorian duds would do the top hat and monocle look.
    I just don't see this taking that campy a direction after what we've seen of it, and I don't want it to change into that. If that's what is to be done with Penguin, then the movie would have to be very, very different from what all signs indicate it to be.
    I don't need them to treat them goofy, they're just part of the Penguin's iconography and look. I just care for the characters resembling themselves.

I don't need them to treat them goofy, they're just part of the Penguin's iconography and look. I just care for the characters resembling themselves.
    ...I mean, it's a top hat and monocle, they have to treat them as goofy because they are goofy.

She reminds me of Crystal Reed.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Some brief comments of The Penguin series by Sarah Aubrey from a VARIETY interview.

How “The Penguin” will fit into DC’s “The Batman” world:

“‘Penguin’ will sit immediately after the end of ‘The Batman’ and temporally before the events of the second movie. The show will come out in between the two movies. Now beyond that, it’s fun for the audience to know that it will be a bridge between the two, but the actual release date, I’m not at liberty to say.”

“The goal of this is to show what Oz’s life is like and that’s very much in the streets of Gotham, trying to get up and over as only the Penguin can. As a hustler and a strategist with his own ambitions. It is a great example of having the time over eight episodes to tell a longer-arc character story with a lot of delicious twists and turns and new characters. It’s very much going to be about Gotham at that street level, because he’s not flying around like Batman does. We are all embracing that as a very specific experience for audiences to have.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    “The goal of this is to show what Oz’s life is like and that’s very much in the streets of Gotham, trying to get up and over as only the Penguin can. As a hustler and a strategist with his own ambitions. It is a great example of having the time over eight episodes to tell a longer-arc character story with a lot of delicious twists and turns and new characters. It’s very much going to be about Gotham at that street level, because he’s not flying around like Batman does. We are all embracing that as a very specific experience for audiences to have.”
    It sounds pretty much what you'd want and expect. Heck, it's pretty much a description of Gotham (season 1, at least).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

...I mean, it's a top hat and monocle, they have to treat them as goofy because they are goofy.
    So's a guy that dresses up in a bat costume with a cape, but they've done a pretty good job over the years taking that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So's a guy that dresses up in a bat costume with a cape, but they've done a pretty good job over the years taking that seriously.
    No, it's not inherently goofy - it's absurd. Goofy is inherently more lighthearted and campy, while absurd can be but isn't necessarily so. Ghosts and monsters are absurd but there's plenty of monster movies that are taken seriously. Superheroes are absolutely absurd, but they can be either goofy or serious. Top hats and monocles are goofy outside of period pieces. And there's nothing wrong with it either, I love goofier takes and would be fine with it in a Batman movie that goes more in the MCU style. It'd play very well and I would watch it for sure. But I don't really want it in the sort of world the movie established.

I mean, it really all comes down to execution. I don't think Penguins' traditional look would look that out of place if they handle it with natural build up and don't go for, like, a purple suit.

Are we talking Danny DeVito Penguin, or Burgess Meredith Penguin or Robin Lord Taylor Penguin?

I mean, it really all comes down to execution. I don't think Penguins' traditional look would look that out of place if they handle it with natural build up and don't go for, like, a purple suit.
    A purple suit? Are you confusing Penguin for the Joker or is there a purple suited Penguin design in use somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Are we talking Danny DeVito Penguin, or Burgess Meredith Penguin or Robin Lord Taylor Penguin?
    None of them. We're talking about Colin Farrell Penguin.

A purple suit? Are you confusing Penguin for the Joker or is there a purple suited Penguin design in use somewhere?

None of them. We're talking about Colin Farrell Penguin.
    ...I don't know how to feel about that.