Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As far as narrative structure goes, I agree with you. I actually think that's the best way to build a team title and I miss the days when the League was like this.

But the League has become something else, and I feel like putting secondary heroes on the team just hasn't worked out right. Not since, I dunno, McDuffie maybe? Maybe not even then? I feel like the big names always end up overshadowing the other guys at best, and at worst the secondary heroes kinda get sh*t on (look at how poor Vic was treated).

I think it's a problem with balance. With your Avengers example, you had the big three names of Stark, Rogers, and Thor, but the majority of the roster were secondary guys. They had numbers on their side yknow? With the League it's been the opposite; all big solo names with one or two secondary heroes. People buy JLA to see the big names interact, that's the prime hook, and that leaves limited page time for anyone else. Especially when the roster is 75-80% Big 7.
    I think Bendis is mostly on the right track by putting Green Arrow in charge of the League and putting Black Adam and Naomi on the roster (how you feel about his execution is another matter though).

McDuffie's roster (which was also Meltzer's roster) is probably the best in terms of long term characters, secondary characters and new to the League characters but he was besieged by editorial interference and the fanbase at the time. All the Big guns being occupied by events in their own titles should have been a golden opportunity to develop characters like Vixen, Geo Force, John Stewart, Dr Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) into legit heavy hitters of the DCU but alas it wasn't meant to be.

I don't see anyone outside of the Big 7 as secondary characters. Red Tornado, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Elongated Man, Atom and Zatanna all have long enough tenures that a strong argument could be made that they should be JL mainstays. Then you have characters like Vixen, Black Lightning, Big Barda, Scott Free, Steel who feel like they *should* be on the League.

If anything, it should be the Big 5; Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern since everyone besides those are in a rotating spot. The JL by it's nature either requires multiple titles to sustain all the characters or a massive roster like on JLU or YJ or a core set of characters with a rotating supporting cast.

Flash and GL can roles can always be rotated since there are multiple Flashes and GL's. The remaining roster can be filled out by characters like Vixen, Black Lightning, Zatanna, Elongated Man or someone unexpected like Supergirl, Bumblee or Herald.

I’d add the Star Spangled Kid. It’d be like the total opposite of Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think Bendis is mostly on the right track by putting Green Arrow in charge of the League and putting Black Adam and Naomi on the roster (how you feel about his execution is another matter though).
    I like the roster Bendis is using and so far I feel like everyone is getting good panel time. Maybe this is where the shift back towards a different kind of narrative demand begins. Or maybe this will just be Bendis' run and the next creators will return to the Big Names All The Time model. We'll see.

My expectation is that the allure of the A-list interacting will be too much, and the B-list will get squeezed out once again. But who knows what the future holds.

McDuffie's roster (which was also Meltzer's roster) is probably the best in terms of long term characters, secondary characters and new to the League characters but he was besieged by editorial interference and the fanbase at the time.
    And the bolded bit here is the majority of the problem. Even if editorial relaxes enough to allow a League that only features one or two of the Big Names, the fans read JLA for those A-list heroes, and we know they raise a fuss when that changes. Sales make the final decision and I don't think this market will support a non-A-list League the way it will the A-list version.

I don't see anyone outside of the Big 7 as secondary characters.
    Secondary. B-list. Whatever. Let's not argue the semantics. I too agree that every character (or nearly every) is, or at least can be, a headline star when handled correctly. But "can be" is not "is" and we all know who the Big Name A-listers are.

The JL by it's nature either requires multiple titles to sustain all the characters or a massive roster like on JLU or YJ or a core set of characters with a rotating supporting cast.
    That's what I'd like to see too. But the market and company don't cater exclusively to us.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

EMPRESS 1.jpgI vote for Empress the league needs more women of color plus she brings Magic/Psychic Voodoo to the team as well.

While I can agree on Dick Grayson being the biggest name that SHOULD have been a shoe-in, I prefer him as leader of the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I like the roster Bendis is using and so far I feel like everyone is getting good panel time. Maybe this is where the shift back towards a different kind of narrative demand begins. Or maybe this will just be Bendis' run and the next creators will return to the Big Names All The Time model. We'll see.

My expectation is that the allure of the A-list interacting will be too much, and the B-list will get squeezed out once again. But who knows what the future holds.
    That or they will do one with Jace, Jon and Yara Flor in the lead.

I think JLU did a good job of spotlighting then lesser known characters like John Stewart, Hawkgirl, Question, Captain Atom and Hawk & Dove while still keeping the big names around. Maybe that should be the model.

And the bolded bit here is the majority of the problem. Even if editorial relaxes enough to allow a League that only features one or two of the Big Names, the fans read JLA for those A-list heroes, and we know they raise a fuss when that changes. Sales make the final decision and I don't think this market will support a non-A-list League the way it will the A-list version.
    Even if fans make a fuss, like you said, sales are what determines everything.

Secondary. B-list. Whatever. Let's not argue the semantics. I too agree that every character (or nearly every) is, or at least can be, a headline star when handled correctly. But "can be" is not "is" and we all know who the Big Name A-listers are.
    It's more that there are characters who arguably deserve a spot of the JL even if they are not A-lists with solo titles.

From ComicVine:

Elongated Man:

JLA Vol 1: 110 appearances out of 261 issues.

Red Tornado:

JLA Vol 1: 80 appearances.

JLA Vol 2: 41 appearances.

Zatanna:

JLA Vol 1: 81 appearances.

JLA Vol 2: 25 appearances.

JLD Vol 1: 38 appearances.

JLD Vol 2: 29 appearances.

Firestorm:

JLA Vol 1: 36 appearances.

JLA: 23 appearances.

None of these characters have sustained long running ongoing lasting hundreds of issues but they have enough tenure with the League to justify having a spot at the table.

Throw in Vixen, Black Lightning plus A-listers like the Trinity + GL and Flash and you have a solid JL line up. Characters who don't have ongoings can be developed on the League while the ones who do will help anchor the team.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    EMPRESS 1.jpgI vote for Empress the league needs more women of color plus she brings Magic/Psychic Voodoo to the team as well.
    Plus outrageously stylish and "bad@$$" action or combat sequences. She also brings global teleportation abilities

Is Empress the one with the whip in the latest YJ trailer?

Is Empress the one with the whip in the latest YJ trailer?
    I didn't know there was a trailer! Will seek it out

Found it. Nothing there says Empress to me in terms of design. We will have to see what the season holds.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 10-18-2021 at 01:56 PM.

It's more that there are characters who arguably deserve a spot of the JL even if they are not A-lists with solo titles.
    Oh I totally agree with you on that. I'd say the vast majority of the Satellite era, Black Lightning, Vixen, and several others deserve it from a in-universe perspective.

But they're not A-list in the real world, and these days that is the only thing that seems to matter. I hope, as you do, that this will change....but I don't need another Cyborg situation where a really great and deserving character with tons of history and credentials gets shafted because they haven't consistently held a solo book since 1956.

If I got my hands on the League, I'd handle it like JLU did. But I really don't know if the current market would even support something like that, honestly. How's Bendis' sales holding up? If he's making it work without losing revenue then maybe we're approaching a point where sales don't demand the Big 7 all the time. I dunno, I have no faith left in the direct market, the best comics these days tend to be OGN's, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Captain Marvel, Jr. wouldn't that be something?

Now when you say GL do you mean Hal, John, Kyle or Guy etc ?