Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else pick up the RWBY/Justice League crossover today?

Issues 1-4 came out on comixology today. They were 0.99 an issue so I got all 4. It's a pretty fun crossover but nothing special.

Astonishing Member

I liked it.

Totally forgot about it, actually. Might give it a read. It can't be worse than the last two episodes of Volume 8

Read the first three. Not a big fan. Perhaps because I haven't watched RWBY in years.

I quite liked it~!
    An island of witches constructed Diana from dust and clay gathered from around the world, giving her life~

Glad you think it's good, I might get this in trade format. Just seems like something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Read the first three. Not a big fan. Perhaps because I haven't watched RWBY in years.
    Which reminds me I need to watch the last volume or so...

Just read the first three issues and....it's actually REALLY good. Like...way better than it had any business being. Especially Weiss and Bruce's issue. I never thought I'd ever say that I ship Batman with Weiss Schnee but here we are lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Glad you think it's good, I might get this in trade format. Just seems like something fun.

Which reminds me I need to watch the last volume or so...
    Honestly....as much as I love RWBY...I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. Volume 7 was okay at best and Volume 8 was just a complete shit show. Not as bad as Volume 5 but it's pretty much cemented my belief that the writers don't know what the hell they're doing.

These past couple of volumes have relied heavily on one of my biggest pet peeves as a writer: A plot that hinges on EVERYONE being as stupid as humanly possible. I can not stand "plot induced stupidity". It's one of the reasons I hated Civil War II so much. And RWBY practically runs on it these days.
    Last edited by Blue22; 03-31-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Just read the first three issues and....it's actually REALLY good. Like...way better than it had any business being. Especially Weiss and Bruce's issue. I never thought I'd ever say that I ship Batman with Weiss Schnee but here we are lol

Honestly....as much as I love RWBY...I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. Volume 7 was okay at best and Volume 8 was just a complete shit show. Not as bad as Volume 5 but it's pretty much cemented my belief that the writers don't know what the hell they're doing.

These past couple of volumes have relied heavily on one of my biggest pet peeves as a writer: A plot that hinges on EVERYONE being as stupid as humanly possible. I can not stand "plot induced stupidity". It's one of the reasons I hated Civil War II so much. And RWBY practically runs on it these days.
    I disagree entirely. I don't think anyone in volume 7 or 8 suffers from plot induced stupidity, the mistakes they make are all routed in their pre-established characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I disagree entirely. I don't think anyone in volume 7 or 8 suffers from plot induced stupidity, the mistakes they make are all routed in their pre-established characters.
    I'll try and keep things brief as to not spoil anything for Vakanai but the absolute worst ones when it came to be stupid for the sake of the plot were Qrow, Robyn, Marrow, Neo, and....honestly Team RWBY as a whole in Volume 8. But Ruby and Weiss were probably the worst. And it really pains me to say that because Weiss has consistently been the best character out of the four (cept for that little moment in volume 6 where she didn't know how to open a door just because it was locked). I'd say Ironwood but I think we were supposed to think he was an idiot. It was part of the whole villainous turn they had him go down instead of doing something way more interesting with him.

By the time the volume was over, all of them had me side-eyeing my computer like "....Y'all can't really be this lame, can you?"

Shame too. They were on such a high after Volume 6. Possibly the best the characters had all been since Volume 3. Then Atlas came along and everyone just...forgot how to work under pressure...which is...you know...their job. Like....yeah this is a high stress situation but those are the only kinds of situations you've all been in since you left Beacon. Get your shit together and use your heads. That's a big "ESPECIALLY" to all the adult huntsmen who keep getting shown up by kids.

Lemme stop before I start ranting. Long story short, I love RWBY. But I'm not...in love with it anymore. I kinda lost that love in Volume 5. Volume 6 started to win me back. I liked 7 well enough. But then 8 completely lost me again, as it tried SO hard to be a repeat of the incredible Volume 3 and wound up feeling more like Volume 5. At this point I'm here for Jeff and Casey's awesome music, the impressive fight choreography (that's becoming and less and less frequent), and to see if best girl Weiss can get her groove back.

Extraordinary Member

I'll try and keep things brief as to not spoil anything for Vakanai but the absolute worst ones when it came to be stupid for the sake of the plot were Qrow, Robyn, Marrow, Neo, and....honestly Team RWBY as a whole in Volume 8. But Ruby and Weiss were probably the worst. And it really pains me to say that because Weiss has consistently been the best character out of the four (cept for that little moment in volume 6 where she didn't know how to open a door just because it was locked). I'd say Ironwood but I think we were supposed to think he was an idiot. It was part of the whole villainous turn they had him go down instead of doing something way more interesting with him.

By the time the volume was over, all of them had me side-eyeing my computer like "....Y'all can't really be this lame, can you?"

Shame too. They were on such a high after Volume 6. Possibly the best the characters had all been since Volume 3. Then Atlas came along and everyone just...forgot how to work under pressure...which is...you know...their job. Like....yeah this is a high stress situation but those are the only kinds of situations you've all been in since you left Beacon. Get your shit together and use your heads. That's a big "ESPECIALLY" to all the adult huntsmen who keep getting shown up by kids.

Lemme stop before I start ranting. Long story short, I love RWBY. But I'm not...in love with it anymore. I kinda lost that love in Volume 5. Volume 6 started to win me back. I liked 7 well enough. But then 8 completely lost me again, as it tried SO hard to be a repeat of the incredible Volume 3 and wound up feeling more like Volume 5. At this point I'm here for Jeff and Casey's awesome music, the impressive fight choreography (that's becoming and less and less frequent), and to see if best girl Weiss can get her groove back.
    Wow, all those worlds and you completely failed to give any actual examples of "Stupid" behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Wow, all those worlds and you completely failed to give any actual examples of "Stupid" behavior
    Damn. Came in aggressive, huh? Lol

Well, I had my own stupid moment and forgot this forum has a spoiler function so I have no reason not to just vent it all out. So here ya go...

spoilers:

- Robyn, despite not being on the "wanted list", flying off the handle before everyone even knows what's going on. Resulting in the plane going down and Clover dying.

- Qrow deciding that taking down Clover was a more pressing matter than taking down Tyrian, teaming up with Tyrian to beat Clover, his friend, leading to Clover's death. Then he proceeds to blame Ironwood despite none of what happened being Ironwood's fault...In fact....it was all on Qrow and Robyn. Qrow willingly helped a serial killer murder his friend and then tried to pin it on someone else.

- Neo trusting Cinder twice. At the very least, she didn't seem to be shocked when it bit her in the ass at the end of Volume 8. So she had that going for her, I guess.

- None of the good guys coming up with the bright idea to use the staff of creation to save everyone sooner. That includes Team RWBY and JNPR, Ozpin (who we know was there the whole time, just hiding) as well as Ironwood's side. It wasn't until everyone was already divided that someone realized "Wait a minute. We literally have a device that can create anything. Let's maybe use it". I can't suspend my disbelief enough to believe that not one soul thought of that before shit hit the fan.

- Evacuating all of Atlas and Mantle to where the next relic is. Putting them all right in Salem's path again.

- Despite being told to be VERY specific about what they want from Ambrosius, they clearly didn't think to tell him exactly where in Vacuo they wanted to transport all those people to. They were SUPER specific about everything else but that. I can forgive the "one way" faux pas. That was actually kind of a brilliant way to raise the stakes. But telling the Ambrosius you want a whole kingdom full of people transported somewhere without giving him specific coordinates? When you were specific about literally everything else? That's just stupid.

- Ruby, who can use her silver eyes at the drop of a hat these days, never using them while fighting Cinder (God, I hope Volume 9 explains that. Every now and then the camera would cut to her eyes like she was about to do something and then there was nothing. Not even any confusion on her part about why nothing happened). She loses her shit over Pyrrha's death and when Jaune almost died. But she can't spare a silver eyed freak out for when her sister "died". I almost put "sister" in quotes too. Because their relationship as siblings has been one of the most laughably disappointing things about the four main characters. But that's a separate discussion entirely.

- Weiss and Ruby not using their semblances to get themselves and their teammates out of easily avoidable situations during the last two episodes.

- Letting their guards down as if Cinder and Neo weren't still on the loose, as well as Emerald not telling them Cinder and Neo were still on the loose (Again, hoping that means something for later but for now, it was stupid). In fact....Winter, Qrow, and Robyn also knew that Watts escaped. And yet there was no sense of urgency from anyone at all. Everyone acted like the day had already been saved.

- Marrow having the most OP semblance in the series and almost never using it when he should.

- Vine encasing himself inside the airship with the bomb, instead of staying outside of his little force field. Worst case scenario if he did the latter: He might lose his arms. But at least he'd have a chance to live. I guess they needed a heroic sacrifice from the expendables. Speaking of...

- The Ace Ops. Just....the Ace Ops in general. These guys are a pack of incompetent morons. Without Clover, they really are nothing. These supposedly professional Huntsmen who are the best that Atlas has to offer (making them some of the best that the world has to offer if we're to believe Atlas' military really is the best in Remnant) being outsmarted and outfought by a bunch of kids. Effortlessly. Just to push a ham-fisted Power Rangers moral about friendship. They handled the whole "Doing my duty VS Doing what's right" thing with Winter in one volume than they did with the Ace Ops in two. These guys are, like, the textbook definition of characters who should be awesome, but exist just to suck.

- Penny giving the maiden power to Winter instead of Weiss, who she could see struggling against Cinder. Now. Don't get me wrong. I am happy that she chose Winter. I don't want any of team RWBY to have the maiden powers. And I didn't want Winter to die against Ironwood. But this was still dumb. She had no idea where Winter was or if she was even still alive. But nah. Let's just give the life saving supers powers to Ms. MIA, instead of the girl that Penny sees is in immediate danger.

- Letting Oscar get molly-whopped by the hound for half a minute before finally doing something. And while we're at it, all of them being on three sides of the hound and acting like they couldn't do anything just because it was using Oscar as a shield. As if it can protect itself from all three sides.

- Leaving Ironwood locked up in the same room as his weapons. It doesn't matter if he was separated from them. You don't take a chance like that. Why leave them? They could have been useful.

Moments that are also kinda stupid but I'm willing to give them a pass:

- Ruby parroting Ironwood's argument and prioritizing Amity over Mantle. Giving that one a pass because it's immediately followed by Yang calling her on her piss poor leadership skills. We're 8 volumes in and I'm still not understanding why Ozpin made Ruby the leader, aside from her silver eyes.

- Weiss' initial treatment of Whitley when they got to the manner, despite being told by Willow that he's just as empty and lonely as she was before she went to Beacon. She went way overboard but, I can look past that one because of the time crunch they were on and she had no time for his shit. I'm not usually one for making excuses for these characters when it comes to writers not properly conveying things. There's nothing that proves it was the gravity of the situation getting to her and not just her forgetting that Whitley is literally who she used to be. But I can throw her a bone this one time.

- Trusting Robyn in Volume 7 but not Ironwood. Come to think of it, not trusting Ironwood at all in Volume 7 despite him giving them no reason not to trust him.

- Ironwood realizing that they clearly found a way to save everyone and yet he still insisted on getting in the way. Proving that yes, he cared more about the kingdom itself than the people in it. Which is obviously what CRWBY were going for. I just think Ironwood's whole descent into villainy was a terrible waste of someone who could have been an adversary to the main cast without being a straight up, mustache twirling villain. Instead of a battle of ideals, with shades of gray, RWBY VS Ironwood just turned into another Good VS Evil scenario where the main characters are the ones clearly in the right because they're the main characters. Even though, in Volume 7, Ironwood's perspective actually had some semblance (pun not intended) of a point. But, just like Ruby and Yang's undeveloped relationship, that's a talk for another day.
    end of spoilers

Honestly, I got more but these are just the ones that stuck out to me the most. A lot of these I could forgive if this was earlier on in the series or if these moments were spread out more. Cuz some of these things are little. But the little stuff builds up. It builds on top of all the other negative aspects about this series, to the point where it starts to overshadow the positives. Like...it gets harder to just "shut your brain off" when it feels more and more like the writers are doing the same. And it's annoying because, like Volume 5, a lot of these issues are things that can be fixed with just a little tweaking. The ideas are there. But they keep fumbling on the execution and making almost every character on the good side look incompetent, over and over. To the point where I can't help but sympathize with the people who've said they're rooting for Salem lol. I'm not quite that level of annoyed yet. But I get it XD

Astonishing Member

I liked the most recent RWBY season but its definitely going to be polarizing.

Extraordinary Member

Damn. Came in aggressive, huh? Lol
    Sorry, I have a bit of a hair trigger for this franchise, because a lot of the criticism of it is disengenuous

For length reasons I'm putting my response to you critiques in another post

Extraordinary Member

Now, as to your points

spoilers:

- Robyn knows that several people are being arrested for no good reason. That's plenty of reason to be upset, and the blame for that situation ultimately falls on Clover

-Clover never gave Qrow a choice in the matter. He chose to prioritize fighting Qrow over fighting Tyrian, and interrupted Qrow when Qrow tried to fight Tyrian. Taking Clover out before Tyrian was the only way for Qrow to get through that fight. And yes, it was Ironwood's fault, for putting out a completely unjustified arrest warrant for Qrow. Whatever part of it it wasn't Ironwood's fault was Clover's.

- Fair point for Neo

- Using the Staff wasn't an option until the majority of the populace had gotten away from the Grimm, because the Grimm would have just followed through the portals. Not to mention it takes time to make blueprints and work out the right wording for the request. Not to mention the issue of Ironwood interrupting their attempt to use the Staff, since if they'd tried it from the start they wouldn't have an opening for an ambush or help from Winter and Marrow, both of which were critical in taking Ironwood out.

-Dude, Vacuo is literally the only place capable of protecting the refugees. It's the only place left with a Huntsman academy

- The coordinates thing is fair

- No, Ruby cannot use her Silver Eyes at the drop of a hat. She still needs time to activate them. Time that neither Neo or Cinder gave her. As for her not flipping out over Yang, a person can only handle so much trauma before shutting down, and Ruby was already getting close to her limit before that.

- I remember both Ruby and Weiss using their semblances when needed right up until their Auras broke, and you can't use them after that happens.

- Assuming Cinder, Neo, and Watts would wait for orders from Salem is a reasonable assumption to make

- Be specific, name times when Marrow could have used his semblence.

- Fair point on Vine. But he's still need a place to stand on the airship and would thus call out of the sky afterwards, so his odds of living weren't great. Nor did he have a lot of time to think

- Yeah, who would have thought that a group of characters brought together based on power synergy instead of personal compatibility would have started to falter after their living cheat code died? The Ace-Ops were never the best of the best. They were always a demonstration of the ways that Atlas' Culture sucked. It's not bad writing to have a culture's flaws actually impact the character as story

- Because Surprising someone when they're in the middle of a battle for their life is a terrible way to keep them alive. As far as Penny knew, Winter wasn't in the middle of a fight, so she was the better choice to give the powers. Plus Winter had been preparing to get them for a while, so it stands to reason that she'd acclimate to them quicker than Weiss. Plus the Maiden powers go to the person you think of last, and it's easier to think about people closer to you.

- Yes, they couldn't do anything because it had Oscar as a shield. Risking his life when they had no guaranteed way of taking it down would be a terrible idea.

-Fair point regarding Ironwood and his weapons

- Ruby was never against Amity, she was against abandoning Mantle. And in Ruby's mind, the people of Mantle would have been doomed without reinforcements from the other Kingdoms

- Fair point re-Weiss

- By the time they met Ironwood, they already knew that he had turned Mantle into a surveilance state, and sent his top guys to arrest them for fighting Grimm, instead of having his top guys fight the grimm. That's plenty of reason to be suspicious, and while Ironwood did help them out, he also displayed clear indifference to the wellbeing of Mantle's people, while Robyn consistently put people's wellbeing first.

- Ironwood's downfall was the culmination of the character flaws he'd had since Volume 2. He's the textbook definition of a tragic villain. He managed to get through things until he was put in a position where his flaws worked against him, just like any other tragic character. It's great writing, and people wanting him to be something he never was doesn't make it bad

end of spoilers

Really? Ha! I definitely got to read this then to see what that's about.

Eh, already got season 7 blu-ray, so gotta watch it some point...