Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman #779 - Spoilers/Discussion

Summery:

Wonder Woman, Siegfried and Ratatoskr continue fighting Janus in the In-Between (the space between comic panels).

Wonder Woman, compelled by the purple lasso brings Deadman back to life with its power. As the battle continues, Janus learns she in unable to escape the In-Between even with the God Scrapper.

Frustrated, Janus questions why Diana wishes to stop her when she wants to free people of the past for a better future. Diana learns it wasn't actually the female Janus' idea to separate, but the male Janus instead and everything he had told Diana was a lie.

Deadman, being the only one able to leave the In-Between, goes to get the Greek Gods for aid. Diana tries to convince Janus to change her course, but she refuses, insisting she commands destiny itself. Just then, the purple lasso reveals itself to be the Norns (the Norse weavers of fate), and they bind Janus in a web of purple string. Displeased with Janus' actions, they desire to end her by removing her string from the tapestry of destiny but they leave the chose to Diana.

Diana doesn't accept that fate is written in stone, and thinks that there is still a way for Janus to redeem herself. Just then, the Greek pantheon along with Deadman and male Janus arrive. The male half of Janus freezes time so he can speak with Diana alone, revealing that his desire to split himself stemmed from the realization that the two halves would be stronger if separated. He know his future half would desire the destruction of the past, but ultimately get herself stuck in the In-Between, therefor preventing time from moving forward and creating a universe with no future.

The male half of Janus wants Diana to admit that the universe is safer without the dangers of progression. And Diana sucker-punches him. (LOL)

Ultimately, Diana decides to show Janus mercy and uses the purple lasso and the needle gifted by Odin to stich the two halves back together. Janus thanks Diana for showing mercy, and returns with the Greek Pantheon.

Zeus tells Diana it is time for her to take her rightful place on Olympus, but Diana declines. Siggy asks if that means Diana will come back to Asgard, but Diana says that is not her home either.

After saying her goodbyes, Diana cleaves herself with the God Scrapper, sending her to a realm unknown. (But we all know it's gonna be Earth )

Review:

I did like this issue although it was very dialogue heavy, and I felt it was almost to it's determent but luckily it didn't go that far. The male half of Janus being the "twist villain" (is it really a twist villain if they are technically the same person ) was alright it was sort-of just there. I mean, we didn't spend much time with him so it almost felt tagged on.

But Diana sucker-punching him was amazing and actually got me to laugh so props to that.

I liked Diana herself a lot this issue. Especially when the male half of Janus when big on the villain speech and she just wasn't having it.

Overall it was a nice conclusion, but I am so ready for the 80th anniversary special next month!
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-14-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~