Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #779 - Spoilers/Discussion

Summery:

Wonder Woman, Siegfried and Ratatoskr continue fighting Janus in the In-Between (the space between comic panels).

Wonder Woman, compelled by the purple lasso brings Deadman back to life with its power. As the battle continues, Janus learns she in unable to escape the In-Between even with the God Scrapper.

Frustrated, Janus questions why Diana wishes to stop her when she wants to free people of the past for a better future. Diana learns it wasn't actually the female Janus' idea to separate, but the male Janus instead and everything he had told Diana was a lie.

Deadman, being the only one able to leave the In-Between, goes to get the Greek Gods for aid. Diana tries to convince Janus to change her course, but she refuses, insisting she commands destiny itself. Just then, the purple lasso reveals itself to be the Norns (the Norse weavers of fate), and they bind Janus in a web of purple string. Displeased with Janus' actions, they desire to end her by removing her string from the tapestry of destiny but they leave the chose to Diana.

Diana doesn't accept that fate is written in stone, and thinks that there is still a way for Janus to redeem herself. Just then, the Greek pantheon along with Deadman and male Janus arrive. The male half of Janus freezes time so he can speak with Diana alone, revealing that his desire to split himself stemmed from the realization that the two halves would be stronger if separated. He know his future half would desire the destruction of the past, but ultimately get herself stuck in the In-Between, therefor preventing time from moving forward and creating a universe with no future.

The male half of Janus wants Diana to admit that the universe is safer without the dangers of progression. And Diana sucker-punches him. (LOL)

Ultimately, Diana decides to show Janus mercy and uses the purple lasso and the needle gifted by Odin to stich the two halves back together. Janus thanks Diana for showing mercy, and returns with the Greek Pantheon.

Zeus tells Diana it is time for her to take her rightful place on Olympus, but Diana declines. Siggy asks if that means Diana will come back to Asgard, but Diana says that is not her home either.

After saying her goodbyes, Diana cleaves herself with the God Scrapper, sending her to a realm unknown. (But we all know it's gonna be Earth )

Review:

I did like this issue although it was very dialogue heavy, and I felt it was almost to it's determent but luckily it didn't go that far. The male half of Janus being the "twist villain" (is it really a twist villain if they are technically the same person ) was alright it was sort-of just there. I mean, we didn't spend much time with him so it almost felt tagged on.

But Diana sucker-punching him was amazing and actually got me to laugh so props to that.

I liked Diana herself a lot this issue. Especially when the male half of Janus when big on the villain speech and she just wasn't having it.

Overall it was a nice conclusion, but I am so ready for the 80th anniversary special next month!
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-14-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Man I am going to miss Sigfried
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Cloonrad wrapped up this arc quite nicely. I feel like they tied up all of the loose ends and gave Siggy and Rat a proper send off. It was interesting to see Gundra with Zeus and Hermes. I know she's the leader of the Valkyries but is she now a god as well? Diana used the purple lasso to bring back Deadman with the same chant(RISE!) the Black Lanterns use to bring back the dead. I wonder if there's any connection? Moore's art was superb. I really hope he comes back to the title soon. I really want to see him draw more of Diana's rogues.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Cloonrad wrapped up this arc quite nicely. I feel like they tied up all of the loose ends and gave Siggy and Rat a proper send off. It was interesting to see Gundra with Zeus and Hermes. I know she's the leader of the Valkyries but is she now a god as well? Diana used the purple lasso to bring back Deadman with the same chant(RISE!) the Black Lanterns use to bring back the dead. I wonder if there's any connection? Moore's art was superb. I really hope he comes back to the title soon. I really want to see him draw more of Diana's rogues.
    I think the lasso was a part of the Norn's. It was the same kind of purple, and if it wasn't Deadman's time to go then they would've definitely allowed that.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Earth-0 and seeing how they bring Siegfried back. PLEASANTLY surprised that he didn't die.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

And it feels like an ending...
    This issue alone is not the best of this creative team, but seen as the end of a long story, everything closes perfectly.
    Even minute details throughout this entire arc have a reason for being in this last chapter.
    For me it is one of the best stories I have read about Diana in a long time and I am looking forward to what is to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Man I am going to miss Sigfried
    Yeah, but I'm sure he'll be back soon!

This was a satisfying conclusion. I’m not sure I followed everything that happened in this tale …but my desire to reread it from the beginning is a good thing.

That goodbye between Diana, Siggy and Rat got me a little misty.
    Last edited by Largo161; 09-14-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Astonishing Member

The biggest surprise was Ratatosk not betraying Diana.

I feel this storyline could be streamlined upon re-reads but overall I enjoyed it. I imagine some it being an elongated story was due to having Diana ready to be back on Earth by the 80th Anniversary issue.

Backup wasn't a bad conclusion either but I imagine that story would read better collected also. Though like I said when it started it feels so off tonally from the usual mainline DC books.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The biggest surprise was Ratatosk not betraying Diana.

Agreed! I thought he was going to betray Diana and reveal himself to be Loki.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

My favorite part was Zeus hitting on Gudra lol

Loved the weirdness and the imagination that went into this issue!

With JANUS, we see the Roman gods returning to Wonder Woman, in a big way! Aside from being scarier than crap, Janus is one of the modern WW's weirdest adversaries, in powers and motivation, by a nautical mile AND is metaphysically transgender, which makes Janus, a landmark character in the history of the WW comic.

I will go so far, as to say Janus, whose feminine aspect looks like she stepped out of a James Wan horror, may rival the Queen of Fables, in weirdassness.

We may never see him, again, but, I think Siegfried is a pitch-perfect, super-male companion for Wonder Woman. According to Michael Conrad, he's related to Gudra, Warmaster and the Von Gunthers, through marriage - Siegfried, while brand new to us, is already in the family of Wonderverse characters. In that, there is rationale for keeping him around, long enough to annoy the hell out of Etta and Col. Steve! Ha!

The keeper test for Siegfried, as I see it, is whether we male fans would've wanted the action figure or plastic Ben Cooper Halloween costume, when we were kids - for me, that's a firm YES on both counts. Succeeding where Champion (Hercules), Captain Wonder, Perez Hercules, Rama, Lennox, Achilles and Prince Jason have failed, ..Cloonrad keeps it simple with this guy - cool costume, simple and cool backstory, cool powers, cool, devil-may-care attitude! All of that makes him an interesting, non-romantic rival for Col. Steve

Siggy is officially, ..the anti-Steve.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-15-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I didn't really enjoy the female Janus monologues in these issues, but it kind of got better when the twist happened with the other half. I'm intrigued by the thesis that Cloonrad finished this story arc with, about embracing the past and moving it towards a better future. I wonder if they have any specific plans to revamp old unpopular concepts. They kind of did it with the Greek Gods by bringing back some of the better New 52 designs like Apollo and Hephaestus and Hades. Phil Jiminez was the king of worldbuilding. He took so many of the ideas from Messner-Loebs, John Byrne and Eric Luke and used them to his benefit, pushing Diana's world way forward. I doubt that anyone can beat him in that regard, but I sure would like to see how Cloonrad could bring back old things and evolving them, advancing Diana's story. But I would also be more than fine with seeing them introduce uniquely weird new villains with great pathos and new worlds.

I also loved when Diana sewed the two halves of Janus using a thread of fate. This is the stuff of legends! I loved Ratatosk and liked Siegriefid, but Deadman was what really blew my socks off in this whole saga, as well as Doctor Psycho.

Diana sewing Janus, Roman god, back together...classic! With Janus in play, can a Dunesy, David Lynchy Mars be far behind?

Another thing...Becky Cloonan's Perez Diana was artistic perfection, ..like a cross, between Big Top PeeWee's Valeria Golino and Flashdance's Jennifer Beals!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-15-2021 at 05:15 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Unfortunately tour pitch for galactic emperor Mars from GA isnt gonna happen, but it could always come true with a new villain.

This storyline really didn't appeal to me but I liked Siegfried. Hope he finds his way back into Diana's life.