Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Amidst announcement of an Indo-Pacific Alliance and another Cray Miserables rally headed for the US Capitol, ..I read WW #779, again. There's so much here about the value of free will to Diana, that gives her conflict with Janus, an organic fit--a narrative logic!

Bravo, Michael!
    Mel Dyer (Wondabunga), from Twitter

Let me say, also, that it's a narrative logic, that doesn't typically pop up, in Diana's enmity, with Cheetah or Circe, ..without excessively heavy tweaking [See Steve Orlando's last, very good Cheetah story].

Wonder Woman #779 reminds us that Wonder Woman is an Amazon daughter of ancient freedom-fighters, for whom the expression of free will, justice and compassion is practically a religion. Truth, WW writers often forget, is a power. which Diana weaponizes to preserve freedom and justice; the mission isn't and has never been about truth, for truth's sake. I love how MWC made the threat to cosmic freedom, central to why the fight, with Janus, is one Diana is uniquely positioned to wage, ..as an Amazon and as Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman's foes, the most important ones, should threaten what is most important to her, as a person and an Amazon. Conrad accomplished that and more, with Janus, ..the modern Wondy's first transgender super-villain.

Brilliant!

I'm working myself up into a frenzy, for my next blogpost, on Wondabunga, ..in case you can't tell. Look alive, Kangaliers!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-16-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Haha ok. I would agree with most of that.

But I fail to see how Janus is transgender.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Haha ok. I would agree with most of that.

But I fail to see how Janus is transgender.

I think Janus would qualify as a hermaphrodite as Janus has both male and female genitalia.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think Janus would qualify as a hermaphrodite as Janus has both male and female genitalia.
    Are you sure? Conjoined twins of different sexes aren’t considered hermaphrodites, are they?

But I don’t think transgender is appropriate either…
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Are you sure? Conjoined twins of different sexes aren’t considered hermaphrodites, are they?

I wouldn't say either terms is appropriate either.

Same here. Transgender or hermaphrodite are terms that, imo, don't fit Janus' "profile." And honestly, it doesn't really make me comfortable to have a transgender villain (especially in a Wonder Woman book). Transgender people and other gender expansive/gender non-conforming individuals are already demonized/villainized/devalued enough in pop culture.

That's a good point. I'm not sure being that they are technically conjoined twins. I was going off the thought that they were the same being.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That's a good point. I'm not sure being that they are technically conjoined twins. I was going off the thought that they were the same being.
    They have distinct personalities

Well if you want to categorize them, they would be Siamese Twins, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    They have distinct personalities

Do they though? Diana referred to them as being quite similar in their motivations although the male portion of Janus was a little more sly and sneaky about his at first.

This first arc started out stronger than it finished for me, but overall it’s a great Wonder Woman and Diana story. Much like some other characters from past runs, I’d love to see Siggy stick around as an established, occasional supporting character in the Wonder tapestry of cast and lore. I’m already imagining a guy’s night out tale with Steve, Siggy, Trevor Barnes, Ed Indelicato, Achilles Warkiller, Ferdinand, and Harold Champion.

I like the exploration of the Sphere of the Gods and the “in between” space.

What I’m most thankful for is Cloonan and Conrad’s command of Diana’s voice, attitude, and perspective. We at once get a Diana that fun, brave, bold, smart, self-aware, savvy, and adventurous… her ideals and conscience and confidence pouring forth via her spirit, words, and action. It’s very much like her attitude in some of the very first Wonder Woman stories.

I look forward to seeing this version of Diana interact with her supporting characters and adversaries in the more mundane realms.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Well if you want to categorize them, they would be Siamese Twins, I think.
    Conjoined twins is the better term for this. I don't think you meant anything by using the term that you did but it is fairly, um, insensitive terminology. But yes. The Janii would best be described as conjoined twins.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Conjoined twins is the better term for this. I don't think you meant anything by using the term that you did but it is fairly, um, insensitive terminology. But yes. The Janii would best be described as conjoined twins.
    Oh I'm really sorry, I would never want to be insensitive or disrespectful, in my language there is no other word to name conjoined twins other than "siameses".
    It's good to know, thank you.

It's impossible to have conjoined twins of different sexes, so there is no technical terminology for it.

But these are also gods so, they can be whatever they want to be. Gods shapeshift all the time.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    It's impossible to have conjoined twins of different sexes, so there is no technical terminology for it.

But these are also gods so, they can be whatever they want to be. Gods shapeshift all the time.
    Fused fraternal twins, then…??
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.