Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Man, that art though.

How I have missed Coipel - where has this dude been!?

After he left Marvel he was gone for so long and now coming back with a vengeance, it bums me out to no end that he's not on this monthly.

It makes me miss his Thor and Spidey

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Man, that art though.

How I have missed Coipel - where has this dude been!?

After he left Marvel he was gone for so long and now coming back with a vengeance, it bums me out to no end that he's not on this monthly.

It makes me miss his Thor and Spidey
    Like all great artists he realized the monthly grind is for the birds. He went to go do projects with Mark Millar and get paid.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Like all great artists he realized the monthly grind is for the birds. He went to go do projects with Mark Millar and get paid.
    Yeah totally, I hope we see him on covers or anything; I just love his art so much.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As Priest's Batman The Hill showed not everyone fears Batman because they don't see him all the time.

There are parts of Gotham that he does not go to and those communities can only go by tv.

Batman never goes there-they have no idea WHO is under that mask.

So it's not an excuse made up by Ridley-another writer did the same. In fact it has happened to Superman as well.
    Doesn't make any sense for Bruce to avoid certain parts of the city. Why? Is he afraid of the rate crime there? What is stopping the mafia or the super villains to establish a base in thoses places since Batman won't go there? Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    That's all true, but what Jace is referring to is Gotham specifically and the fact that it's citizen's don't see him often, which Jace is trying to do differently. They don't actively see him patrolling the streets or talking with cops after he stops a crime, he wants his Batman to be more involved with the city be more in the streets and stopping even small crimes like graffiti. It's an even more street level Batman basically.
    This approach is more believable. Dick was also a very different Batman, so Jace actually going for things the regular Batman don't usually do to me is more acceptable.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    That's all true, but what Jace is referring to is Gotham specifically and the fact that it's citizen's don't see him often, which Jace is trying to do differently. They don't actively see him patrolling the streets or talking with cops after he stops a crime, he wants his Batman to be more involved with the city be more in the streets and stopping even small crimes like graffiti. It's an even more street level Batman basically.
    Kind of reminds me...wasn't that going to be Duke's shtick? Being the daytime Batman?

Astonishing Member

Judging by comixology this issue does not sell well, even with Coipel and it being the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Judging by comixology this issue does not sell well, even with Coipel and it being the first issue.
    What do you mean? I just checked, it's on the first page.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    You usally have to wait to the end of the week to see a ranking that really gives you some indication how the book is doing otherwise you ave often still books from the last week in the ranking, and the books from most other publisher that come out a day later are still missing in the Ranking.

But currently it is below Urban Legends and and Titans United, so that looks at least for the moment not like a it's a massive success.

Went out and bought his whole run preparation for this.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    You usally have to wait to the end of the week to see a ranking that really gives you some indication how the book is doing otherwise you ave often still books from the last week in the ranking, and the books from most other publisher that come out a day later are still missing in the Ranking.

But currently it is below Urban Legends and and Titans United, so that looks at least for the moment not like a it's a massive success.

You can also look at the ranking on Amazon (which isn't influenced by last week titles), and the book isn't a huge success there as well.
    I was pretty sure that at least issue #1 would sell very well, with it being issue 1 and a tie in of the current event.
    Last edited by Lal; 09-15-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    You can also look at the ranking on Amazon (which isn't influenced by last week titles), and the book isn't a huge success there as well.
    I was pretty sure that at least issue #1 would sell great, with it being issue 1 and a tie in of the current event.
    I can't speak for other people, but in my opinion there simply is little reason to get excited about this. Even as someone who has mostly read comics that came out in the mid 2000 till now this concept feels kinda tired.

"Here is a new Batman! And he's here to stay!" is pretty hard to take seriously when we already had Azrael or James Gordon as Batman and they didn't last. Even Dick only got one year before they brought Bruce back. Why should Jace be different?

Fear State is not exactly exciting either. Even if you only started reading in 2019 you already had to sit through City of Bane and Joker War, two underwhelming "Villain takes over Gotham City and tries to break Bruce mentally" events.

We also already got a taste of Jace as Batman by Ridley in Future State, it was okay, but not impressive. Most of the time I asked myself what the point of it was since the reader knew Bruce was alive and had a story that felt more important for FS than Jace's.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I can't speak for other people, but in my opinion there simply is little reason to get excited about this. Even as someone who has mostly read comics that came out in the mid 2000 till now this concept feels kinda tired.

"Here is a new Batman! And he's here to stay!" is pretty hard to take seriously when we already had Azrael or James Gordon as Batman and they didn't last. Even Dick only got one year before they brought Bruce back. Why should Jace be different?

Fear State is not exactly exciting either. Even if you only started reading in 2019 you already had to sit through City of Bane and Joker War, two underwhelming "Villain takes over Gotham City and tries to break Bruce mentally" events.

We also already got a taste of Jace as Batman by Ridley in Future State, it was okay, but not impressive. Most of the time I asked myself what the point of it was since the reader knew Bruce was alive and had a story that felt more important for FS than Jace's.
    I won't keep reading this series.
    From the start i was worried how exactly Jace would be able to work in the current continuity, and from the way it looks, it really doesn't work for me.
    Nonsense like Batman not seen for 6 years makes this book feel disconnected. The fact that the entire batfamily are there and fighting Seer makes Jace feel redundant. But I assumed I was the minority here.
    Both Jon Superman and Yara as wondergirl are overall well accepted and sell nicely, so I assumed Jace's debut as Batman would sell really well.
    Last edited by Lal; 09-15-2021 at 11:34 PM.

From the start i was worried how exactly Jace would be able to work in the current continuity, and from the way it looks, it really doesn't work for me.
    Nonsense like Batman not seen for 6 years makes this book feel disconnected. The fact that the entire batfamily are there and fighting Seer makes Jace feel redundant. But I assumed I was the minority here.
    Both Jon Superman and Yara as wondergirl are overall well accepted and sell nicely, so I assumed Jace's debut as Batman would sell really well.
    Agreed, the batfamily is pretty big, does Jace really bring anything to the table the family didn't already have?
    I also have to agree with previous posts that the explanation for why Jace is different from Bruce's Batman and needed feels pretty constructed.

Jon already had some dedicated fans and the Superman family is not as crowded as the batfamily, plus Taylor is a popular comic book writer (not sure if Jon as Superman will sell in the long run though)
    Yara has a unique design people liked right from the start and her different cultural background allows for stories that are not just centered around greek mythology. The artist ist also pretty popular.
    I guess it might also help that both the Superman and Wonder Woman line had struggled for some time. Something needed to change.

I can't say the same about Batman. I don't think a lot of people were waiting for a new Batman, especially one that has only little history with the batfamily.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Agreed, the batfamily is pretty big, does Jace really bring anything to the table the family didn't already have?
    I also have to agree with previous posts that the explanation for why Jace is different from Bruce's Batman and needed feels pretty constructed.

Jon already had some dedicated fans and the Superman family is not as crowded as the batfamily, plus Taylor is a popular comic book writer (not sure if Jon as Superman will sell in the long run though)
    Yara has a unique design people liked right from the start and her different cultural background allows for stories that are not just centered around greek mythology. The artist ist also pretty popular.
    I guess it might also help that both the Superman and Wonder Woman line had struggled for some time. Something needed to change.

I can't say the same about Batman. I don't think a lot of people were waiting for a new Batman, especially one that has only little history with the batfamily.

^^ Points on Jon and Yara spot on.

I think right off the bat, Jace/ and this series would always have had an uphill battle. And here's why (based on educated assumptions):

1. Batfans - These are one of the strongest fanbases out there (similar to Beyoncé fans) who, once anything touches/ interferes with Batman, they are against it. Purely on principle. They know what they like and are not afraid to support it. Batman is sacrosanct and Bruce Wayne is Batman. Going beyond this and calling the title "I AM BATMAN" is just a slap in the face and further "pokes the bear". With all this, even if the series is not boycotted completely, there is likely to be a biased view towards it going in.

2. Batfamily - There are a number of people who have worn the cowl in the past (and could still do) who are seen as "worthy" to do so. Talking about Dick or even Tim (Battle of the Cowl). Some people would even say JPV could have been used. So this begs the question - if DC wanted to have someone wear the cowl other than Bruce, why not pick from the pack as against a "random character"? Yes, a fresh character allows for greater creative/storytelling freedom, but that doesn't matter to sections of the fanbase. Also on this, why would they be ok with someone they don't know running around as Batman. Granted it's his first outing but yeah...

3. Luke Fox - This point is isolated solely to address the race of aspect of this new Batman (and the ties to the Fox family). If DC wanted a PoC, there already existed a Bat character that fits the bill, already has a fanbase and not too much baggage behind him. (NB: hate what they've been doing to his character since Tim showed up and what was done in Future State).

4. Timeline/ Magistrate/ Future State - The series is structured around the whole "no masks" storyline which not everyone is a fan of. Also and as others have said, there are questions as to when this happens with the Batman being "dead" for x number of years.

While I admit that I don't know the story Ridley is trying to tell, think I'd have preferred this to be an out of continuity/ Black Label book.

Of course we've only had issue one so it could still turn out to be a decent read at the end.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    2. Batfamily - There are a number of people who have worn the cowl in the past (and could still do) who are seen as "worthy" to do so. Talking about Dick or even Tim (Battle of the Cowl). Some people would even say JPV could have been used. So this begs the question - if DC wanted to have someone wear the cowl other than Bruce, why not pick from the pack as against a "random character"? Yes, a fresh character allows for greater creative/storytelling freedom, but that doesn't matter to sections of the fanbase. Also on this, why would they be ok with someone they don't know running around as Batman. Granted it's his first outing but yeah...
    Thing is he doesn't really feel that fresh to me.
    Azrael as a 90s "extreme" Batman or Gordon as Robot-Bunny-Batman that's at least pretty different from Standart Batman.

With Jace I don't really see anything that feels really different from what other Batcharacters have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    If DC wanted a PoC, there already existed a Bat character that fits the bill, already has a fanbase and not too much baggage behind him.
    No they have at 2 black male Batfamily members, that are still around, two we have not seen since Rebirth, 1 that died pre flashpoint but you could probably bring back (like they did with alot of other characters), and one from pre COIE Earth 2, you could bring into the main continuity.
    And also a lot Batman Inc. character of all kinds of ethnicities.