Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I AM BATMAN #1 spoilers and discussion

A new dark knight rises and this time with his new #1, an official batsuit, and art by Oliver Coipel (for the first issue anyway). This new Batman has decided to take it to the streets during Fear State and be a Batman of the people...but what the heck does that look like?

Well apparently it means being an openly patrolling Batman. Yeah instead of running around rooftops, grappling, and driving real fast in a suped up car, Jace has decided to just cruise Alleytown in his bike. In his mind he believes it’s best to actually be a part of people’s lives and be seen, because then you see the people on the ground. I’m not really sure how it differentiates from Bruce, admittedly Bruce does spend a lot of time in his cave and is more swinging in the air but I’m not 100% sure if it’s a fair analysis. Of course there is something to say that Jace may be less intimidating, as he simply tells kids to stop graffitiing and doesn’t beat on a reckless driver but instead lets the public deal with him. Of course he’s not afraid to whoop on people as we see when he fights some armed conspiracy theorist.

But yeah not a bad night out for our new Batman when Vol, who we can actually see for once, tells him they found the guy involved with the explosion in the zero issue.

Oh and somethings happened to a Batman villain, the cops find the body but come to a conclusion that it was not the magistrate who could have shot him, which begs only one question.

Who killed spoilers:
    Anarchy
    end of spoilers ?

Anyway I think it’s a decent start. Here’s the thing though it’s not a grand big beginning with a new #1, this might as well just be continued Next Batman Second Son because it’s just Jace’s story continued on. Actually makes me wonder why Second Son was a miniseries at this point. But I do think it’s a good showing as Jace’s first time officially in the batsuit and I think it really helps that the art on this is by Coipel, let’s just hope Segovia can keep up the good work.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-14-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Same as the rest of Ridley’s work: this is a good solid Batman story that doesn't really do anything we haven’t seen in a Batman story before. Great art from Copiel, pity he can’t do back to back issues.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I don't like this take, like, Batman wasn't helping ordinary people, nobody knew he existed, he was just urban legend, etc. No. Batman is a public person for a long time, he was urban legend just at the beginning of his career, he changed later, and people know about him, so Jace's judgments seem to be at least a delusion, if not a lie. I understand that this is done so that there is at least some excuse why he became Batman, but it doesn't look very good, and it can negatively affect how readers feel about Jace.
    Otherwise, the issue is alright, but unfortunately there is nothing extraordinary or unique here. I still feel like it would be better, if Ridley wrote this as standalone Black Label story.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 09-14-2021 at 09:23 AM.

For the record, it's spelled spoilers:
    Anarky.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Poor Lonnie...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For the record, it's spelled spoilers:
    Anarky.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Poor Lonnie...
    end of spoilers
    Autocorrect can get the best of you at times
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

You know I’ve been thinking about this but Jace may be right about Bruce and the whole six years general public comment. Let me explain what I mean before I get yelled at.

See Jace’s adventures in his first issue got me thinking; Jace is dressed differently then Bruce, he’s fighting crime differently ie doesn’t just vanish after a fight and less gadgets, and he talks differently (you think Bruce says Beefin’). But no one, not even the police officers, could tell it was someone else in the suit. And yes the Bat-family and people like Reenee Montoya and Gordon would know it’s not Bruce because they personally know him and talk to him and no doubt they will have words with Jace. However, the random man on the street doesn’t know Batman that well besides a winged protector who beats on crime, which lets Jace just wear a suit and be Batman.

That’s kind of different from Jon and Clark, where they have an open public persona with the people and you can visually tell the greater difference between the two (Jon is slimmer). So to that effect Jace may actually have a point.
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I liked the details that the writer put in this issue with the bulletproof vest made of newtonian fluid. Just learn this past week that water/fluid might be able to slow the force of a bullet after doing a bit of research about how powerful a bullet has to be to penetrate Superman's skin. Ridley should do a Superman/Bloodsport mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I’ve been thinking about this but Jace may be right about Bruce and the whole six years general public comment. Let me explain what I mean before I get yelled at.
    Doesn't make a lick of sense when we have Batman running around with the Justice League. First issue of Bendis current run he is in Kandaq fighting alongside the other members.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Doesn't make a lick of sense when we have Batman running around with the Justice League. First issue of Bendis current run he is in Kandaq fighting alongside the other members.
    I did say may, like with his work on The Other History of the DC universe Ridley does his work on in-character opinions being one way but also an argument can be made that the character after experiencing more learns they are wrong.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I did say may, like with his work on The Other History of the DC universe Ridley does his work on in-character opinions being one way but also an argument can be made that the character after experiencing more learns they are wrong.
    Well, the only thing Jace needed to do to fact check his theory was to turn on the TV or just google "Batman News".

I'm pretty sure this is an excuse Ridley made up so he can write the people of Gotham seeing and listeing to Jace without thinking this Batman it's another dude.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ultimate Member

As Priest's Batman The Hill showed not everyone fears Batman because they don't see him all the time.

There are parts of Gotham that he does not go to and those communities can only go by tv.

Batman never goes there-they have no idea WHO is under that mask.

So it's not an excuse made up by Ridley-another writer did the same. In fact it has happened to Superman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As Priest's Batman The Hill showed not everyone fears Batman because they don't see him all the time.

There are parts of Gotham that he does not go to and those communities can only go by tv.

Batman never goes there-they have no idea WHO is under that mask.

So it's not an excuse made up by Ridley-another writer did the same. In fact it has happened to Superman as well.
    Does that really make sense for Batman though? I mean, even the best people have unconscious bias but it feels weird to think that Batman would deliberately avoid a part of Gotham. It would fly in the face of his entire mission statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    That's all true, but what Jace is referring to is Gotham specifically and the fact that it's citizen's don't see him often, which Jace is trying to do differently. They don't actively see him patrolling the streets or talking with cops after he stops a crime, he wants his Batman to be more involved with the city be more in the streets and stopping even small crimes like graffiti. It's an even more street level Batman basically.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    That's all true, but what Jace is referring to is Gotham specifically and the fact that it's citizen's don't see him often, which Jace is trying to do differently. They don't actively see him patrolling the streets or talking with cops after he stops a crime, he wants his Batman to be more involved with the city be more in the streets and stopping even small crimes like graffiti. It's an even more street level Batman basically.
    Is it weird I can actually see Jace doing this from Spider-Man homecoming

Words to live by.

From the other thread-

The issue today was a decent introduction. It's just Jace prowling Alleytown and dealing with Fear State. The murder mystery tease is cool tho.

To me I just see it as Arc 2 similar to how Shang-chi does it. I think it would fit a graphic novel series better. I felt Future State should just take over the Earth One line. Although Issue 0 wasn't necessary and should've just been Second Son issue 5.