Default Peacock's Bel-Air Rounds Out Its Main Cast

Article here.

Maybe it's just me, but a remaking "Fresh Prince" as a drama seems not unlike a gritty reboot of "the Beverly Hillbillies." What's the point?

Also, who writes an article about Will Smith's acting career and cites "such films as I, Robot, I am Legend and Gemini Man," and not Independence Day, and Men in Black? That's a little like describing Harrison Ford's career in terms of Hollywood Homicide and Cowboys and Aliens, rather than Indiana Jones and Star Wars.
    Last edited by Mark Trail; 09-14-2021 at 11:03 AM.

I'll give it a look once the trailers come out, but I'm not liking the premise of it being a dramatic reboot. I don't agree the reboot's description that the original show never fully explored the conflicts that were featured in certain episodes. The episodes with Will's father, Will and Carlton getting arrested, and the sorority episode tackled heavy topics well in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    I'll give it a look once the trailers come out, but I'm not liking the premise of it being a dramatic reboot. I don't agree the reboot's description that the original show never fully explored the conflicts that were featured in certain episodes. The episodes with Will's father, Will and Carlton getting arrested, and the sorority episode tackled heavy topics well in my opinion.
    Yeah, it just feels kind of weird to me to take a comedy show that sometimes tackled serious emotional and racial issues well and then reboot it into a more serious drama. Like, why?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it just feels kind of weird to me to take a comedy show that sometimes tackled serious emotional and racial issues well and then reboot it into a more serious drama. Like, why?
    All of this. Wasn't the original 'trailer' to this whole thing just a throwaway gag anyway?
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I always feel like comedy creations that tackle serious issues well always end up having a greater impact in the long run because they find the audience’s “soft underbelly” and never have to worry about accidentally drowning the genuine issues in the smorgasbord of “serious drama” they have going at the same time.

Will grappling with his negligent and absent father is a hell of a lot more impactful when you’ve tuned in because you love Will for making you laugh, and you’re never going to forget how important or serious that is compared to regular episode conflicts, because the tone is totally different from him trying to ask a pretty girl out in a comedy of errors.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I always feel like comedy creations that tackle serious issues well always end up having a greater impact in the long run because they find the audience’s “soft underbelly” and never have to worry about accidentally drowning the genuine issues in the smorgasbord of “serious drama” they have going at the same time.

Will grappling with his negligent and absent father is a hell of a lot more impactful when you’ve tuned in because you love Will for making you laugh, and you’re never going to forget how important or serious that is compared to regular episode conflicts, because the tone is totally different from him trying to ask a pretty girl out in a comedy of errors.
    I think it depends. During the 80s and 90s the "very special episode" became such a trope, and many were so heavy handed, that I think it actually undercut the messages sometimes. Not every sitcom could handle it with the skill of say, All in the Family or MASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Article here.

Maybe it's just me, but a remaking "Fresh Prince" as a drama seems not unlike a gritty reboot of "the Beverly Hillbillies." What's the point?
    Agreed, though a "gritty reboot" of the Andy Griffith Show just popped in my head. It'd be called "Mayberry", probably. Maybe Gomer would be a serial killer who says "Surprise surprise surprise!" when he kills people?

Also, who writes an article about Will Smith's acting career and cites "such films as I, Robot, I am Legend and Gemini Man," and not Independence Day, and Men in Black? That's a little like describing Harrison Ford's career in terms of Hollywood Homicide and Cowboys and Aliens, rather than Indiana Jones and Star Wars.
    Isn't that what the kids call "slick-dissing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Agreed, though a "gritty reboot" of the Andy Griffith Show just popped in my head. It'd be called "Mayberry", probably. Maybe Gomer would be a serial killer who says "Surprise surprise surprise!" when he kills people?

Isn't that what the kids call "slick-dissing"?
    The hell with Bel-Air now I want Vincent D'Onofrio to play Pyle in Mayberry. It'd be like if his Full Metal Jacket character who was nicknamed Gomer Pyle came home.

Folks, did we all just forget "The OC" existed? If America didn't have a problem with that show then I don't see why Bel-Air can't be made.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Folks, did we all just forget "The OC" existed? If America didn't have a problem with that show then I don't see why Bel-Air can't be made.
    The OC wasn't a majority black cast.

As Mark Trail said too many times the message is lost because there is too much stuff in it to make it heavy handed.

Especially with black lead projects at time. That depending on the writers get to be one sided bashing of black men or promotion of the so-called black monolith nonsense.

Will's Dad being MIA. I PROMISE you we won't hear how Will's Mom kept him away because he didn't want her anymore. Because that does happen. We won't hear how the court system screws over fathers. Instead it will probably be he was a deadbeat or a sperm donor that ran off.

Hilary or Ashley will be the nice virginal daughter. Because they have to be perfect while the boys are a mess.

It's not that Bel-Air can't be made. The fear should be how heavy handed it will be. Same with the new Wonder Years show-I don't want 6 seasons of them screaming racism every episode.

Folks get tired of that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's not that Bel-Air can't be made. The fear should be how heavy handed it will be. Same with the new Wonder Years show-I don't want 6 seasons of them screaming racism every episode.

Folks get tired of that.
    I could be wrong, and its probably naivete talking, but I think they'll "dance" around that till at least season 4. As in, it might be in the background but never the focus until then. Again, I'm probably wrong, hopeless optimist as it were.

Astonishing Member

The OC wasn't a majority black cast.

As Mark Trail said too many times the message is lost because there is too much stuff in it to make it heavy handed.

Especially with black lead projects at time. That depending on the writers get to be one sided bashing of black men or promotion of the so-called black monolith nonsense.

Will's Dad being MIA. I PROMISE you we won't hear how Will's Mom kept him away because he didn't want her anymore. Because that does happen. We won't hear how the court system screws over fathers. Instead it will probably be he was a deadbeat or a sperm donor that ran off.

Hilary or Ashley will be the nice virginal daughter. Because they have to be perfect while the boys are a mess.

Folks get tired of that.
    You hear this all the time in dealing with racism or protests in sports etc. But, if 'folks' get tired seeing the protests, or dramatizations of racism in media (TV/film) imagine how tired of it the victims of racism are everyday in real life. They are more over it than someone who can change a channel and watch something else, since they don't have that option in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Agreed, though a "gritty reboot" of the Andy Griffith Show just popped in my head.
    There kind of, sort of, was a gritty remake of "Andy Griffith." It was called "Justified."

So, accurate to the original show.

I think you might be a bit too quick to judge here.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    You hear this all the time in dealing with racism or protests in sports etc. But, if 'folks' get tired seeing the protests, or dramatizations of racism in media (TV/film) imagine how tired of it the victims of racism are everyday in real life. They are more over it than someone who can change a channel and watch something else, since they don't have that option in reality.
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacts bro
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia