Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Potential stories in the future of Spider-Man?

OK, see, the whole thing about Kindred has become a REAL headache, mainly because there has been almost no explaning about what the webs is going on. One good thing, however, is the fact that they are fixing the "Sins Past" plot; which is the only spider story I hate more than Superior Spider-Man. Ironically, the idea of Sarah and Gabriel being actually "clones" is something I saw as a way to fix the story; and they could really have been created through Gwen and Peter's DNA. Now I just hope that in the last issue of this mess (ASM #74), One More Day will be undone too and the Spider-Marriage will be restored.

I know Spider-Man Beyond is the incoming arc, but it's obvious it won't last with Ben Reilly in the costume. It's clear Peter will return, and when that happen, I have a few ideas of incomming plots based on other "mistakes" made by writers in past Spider Stories. Let's see:

+ Hyperion: At the end of "Heroes Reborn", the world was restored to normal. Blur, Doctor Spectrum and Warrior Woman are under custody, and Nighthawk is plotting to restore that world. (He will obviously fail, but still, a knock-out of Batman is really dangerous). Hyperion is missing, as he's too powerful to be under custody and doesn't seem interested in restoring his world just like Nighthawk. Called my attention, however, his scene with Spider-Man. I believe Hyperion was looking for his "friend", Peter Parker; even although he didn't know Peter actually despised him because his recklessness killed Aunt May. Well, I don't know where he is now, but he could become an interesting plot in Spider-Man's adventures. First of all, I think he should be punished by "facing the truth", that Peter actually hated him because he killed Aunt May. Then, since his atomic vision would allow him to discover Spider-Man is Peter, he might want to redeem himself, and that could be interesting. Having a powerful being like Hyperion at his side could be really handy for Peter. Too bad he didn't appear to help him during the Sinister War, as I would have loved to see him incinirate Morlun with his atomic vision.

+ Mary Jane with Spider-Powers: During Spider-Island, MJ was the last citizen to gain spider-powers, because of her years close to Peter. If the Spider-Marriage is restored, I believe her spider powers should too. Since the "infection" took a long way to affect her, it would be normal if the "cure" didn't work completely on her and just stabilized her powers. MJ is no damsel in distress, but having her own spider powers could be very useful for her to survive in the future.

+ Flash and Anti-Venom: I have no problem with Flash as Anti-Venom, as his healing abilities are really handy, but honestly, a white uniform doesn't really fit on a soldier like him. I believe Flash would look much better with the symbiote known as Toxin. Before unbonding with Eddie Brock, Toxin had a "soldier outfit" very similar to Agent Venom; so it would be fitting for Flash to use it instead. As for Anti-Venom, I believe its healing powers would be more useful in other characters who could need them. And those characters would be Ben and Kaine, Peter's clones. Anti-Venom could be the key to cure the "clone degeneration", so I believe Ben could keep the symbiote while Kaine remains as the new Scarlet Spider.

+ Superior Spider-Man: As Doc Ock is back to his old self, I believe we could still have "Superior Spider-Man" as a clone (similar to Ben and Kaine) that mixes traces from both Peter and Octavius. With such combination, I believe there's an identity that could fit for it: Steel Spider. Oliver Osnick created it as a mix of Spider-Man and Doc Ock, so it's kinda fitting.

Well, what do you think of these possibilities?

I would prefer some street level stories, or crime drama. I'm a bit tired of big storylines in Spider-Man. I want him to work with Daredevil or Luke Cage on some interesting cases etc.

MJ with Spider powers? No. We have too many people web swinging, and MJ is perfect as she is,without any powers.

I don't have anything against Flash bonding with Toxin symbiote. He had a really interesting relationship with Venom, it could be a good story, him and Toxin working together, learning to trust each other.

Superior Spider-Man had its chance, and Marvel blew it. But hey, Doc Ock is a still an interesting character, and Dan Slott writes him pretty well. I would like to see a Doc Ock ongoing, or at least a mini series. Make it about self discovery, make it about a person, who tasted other person's life, and now he has to face his demons in his own body, being a reformed supervillain.let him be a Superior version of himself - that's what I want to read.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I’d love to see Flash back as Venom. I don’t see the point of the Anti-Venom suit and I don’t like the new relationship between Dylan and Venom. It’s also kind of redundant with Bren and Toxin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    I would prefer some street level stories, or crime drama. I'm a bit tired of big storylines in Spider-Man. I want him to work with Daredevil or Luke Cage on some interesting cases etc.

MJ with Spider powers? No. We have too many people web swinging, and MJ is perfect as she is,without any powers.

I don't have anything against Flash bonding with Toxin symbiote. He had a really interesting relationship with Venom, it could be a good story, him and Toxin working together, learning to trust each other.

Superior Spider-Man had its chance, and Marvel blew it. But hey, Doc Ock is a still an interesting character, and Dan Slott writes him pretty well. I would like to see a Doc Ock ongoing, or at least a mini series. Make it about self discovery, make it about a person, who tasted other person's life, and now he has to face his demons in his own body, being a reformed supervillain.let him be a Superior version of himself - that's what I want to read.
    I agree MJ is perfect the way she is. The problem here is that, being trapped in the crossfire so often, her chances to survival decreases everytime. Having powers is a way to assure her survival at long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I’d love to see Flash back as Venom. I don’t see the point of the Anti-Venom suit and I don’t like the new relationship between Dylan and Venom. It’s also kind of redundant with Bren and Toxin.
    Since Dylan is able to bond with symbiotes now, I believe the most suitable for him would be Sleeper. You know, Venom's offspring and Eddie's son in the same package.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I think they nailed it with Agent Venom. I like Eddie, but if I had to choose - I would choose Flash as Venom. But if he gets another symbiote in future arc? Heck, why not.

Remember when Eddie had Toxin symbiote? Now that story went nowhere...

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post

Since Dylan is able to bond with symbiotes now, I believe the most suitable for him would be Sleeper. You know, Venom's offspring and Eddie's son in the same package.
    Exactly! I mean, wasn’t it teased in the Absolute Carnage tie ins ? That would make much more sense !

I think they nailed it with Agent Venom. I like Eddie, but if I had to choose - I would choose Flash as Venom. But if he gets another symbiote in future arc? Heck, why not.
    Feel a bit weird for me to admit it, because I used to be a huge Brock fan and I was so pissed when they gave the symbiote to other hosts but Flash became my favorite Venom. In a sense p, it felt right to see Flash, who has always been inspired by Spidey, to become a version of Spidey, but way darker and more dangerous.

And I just love to see Flash and Venom trying to find the redemption they deserve. Even if Flash is now far from the bully he used to be.

Incredible Member

Oh wow.

Hm. If they had to reshuffle some monikers, I wouldn’t mind seeing this in the 616…

Ben and Peter, sharing the Spider-Man name, one the Sensational and the other the Amazing. With the whole Beyond Corp, like Pav mentioned in another thread, Ben could be our dimensional jumping-tech welding Spider-Man from now on. The leader of the Spider-Verse, Web Warriors, or what have you. His home base is still 616 though. That would let Peter remain as the Spider-Man of New York as a regular.

Miles, in his new Scarlet Spider looking duds as the Ultimate Scarlet Spider. Or keep him as Spider-Man as well, and let Ben return on as the Scarlet Spider moniker, doing his dimensional hoping shenanigans with the order of the Web, if that is still a thing in the future. With Into the Spider-Verse 2 coming out next year, I’m sure they’ll try to tie into that movie release somehow.

Kaine as Toxin, especially if he still has the degeneration going on. Maybe being merged with Toxin keeps the degeneration at Bay.

Flash back as Agent Anti-Venom. Maybe making Kaine as Toxin be his co-star, as the two would have symbiote life forms attached to them in a post Knull world, doing their own super heroics. Kaine remembering Flash as a bully, while he having grown into a bully/murderer would be an interesting dynamic.

Anya continuing on as the Spider-Girl.

Maybe put Miles and Anya together in some adventures. They both are teen Spider characters. I can imagine the shenanigans those two could get in together.

That would fill out the 616 Spider-family rather well, post Beyond.
    Last edited by Blanks; 09-14-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

This times a hundred. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see Sins Past and (possibly) OMD retconned, and would love seeing Ben come back as Spidey in ‘Beyond’, but….

I’ve been rereading old Roger Stern, Peter David and Tom DeFalco runs from the 1980s and the stories are fun and action-packed, but simple enough that you can pick up an issue and not feel lost. And I really miss that down-to-Earth quality where it seemed like it could happen in our world… Peter would fight against non-powered crime bosses, super-powered bank robbers who would complain about their plots being foiled, evil corporations and just street level thugs. There were still subplots simmering in the background like the alien costume, the Hobgoblin mystery and Peter’s romance with Felicia, but there was nothing constantly being reworked and “fixed” like there is now. It seems every big event’s sole purpose is to fix or address problems from an earlier big event. It’s so exhausting. Plus, all the multiverse crap, inheritors, supernatural threats, order of the web garbage, man-child regression (that’s more on Slott than Spencer), body swapping, cloning to fix every plot hole, and it gets so exhausting and convoluted. The Spidey mythos are really buckling under their own weight like the X-books did decades ago.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    OK, see, the whole thing about Kindred has become a REAL headache, mainly because there has been almost no explaning about what the webs is going on. One good thing, however, is the fact that they are fixing the "Sins Past" plot; which is the only spider story I hate more than Superior Spider-Man. Ironically, the idea of Sarah and Gabriel being actually "clones" is something I saw as a way to fix the story; and they could really have been created through Gwen and Peter's DNA. Now I just hope that in the last issue of this mess (ASM #74), One More Day will be undone too and the Spider-Marriage will be restored.

I know Spider-Man Beyond is the incoming arc, but it's obvious it won't last with Ben Reilly in the costume. It's clear Peter will return, and when that happen, I have a few ideas of incomming plots based on other "mistakes" made by writers in past Spider Stories. Let's see:

+ Hyperion: At the end of "Heroes Reborn", the world was restored to normal. Blur, Doctor Spectrum and Warrior Woman are under custody, and Nighthawk is plotting to restore that world. (He will obviously fail, but still, a knock-out of Batman is really dangerous). Hyperion is missing, as he's too powerful to be under custody and doesn't seem interested in restoring his world just like Nighthawk. Called my attention, however, his scene with Spider-Man. I believe Hyperion was looking for his "friend", Peter Parker; even although he didn't know Peter actually despised him because his recklessness killed Aunt May. Well, I don't know where he is now, but he could become an interesting plot in Spider-Man's adventures. First of all, I think he should be punished by "facing the truth", that Peter actually hated him because he killed Aunt May. Then, since his atomic vision would allow him to discover Spider-Man is Peter, he might want to redeem himself, and that could be interesting. Having a powerful being like Hyperion at his side could be really handy for Peter. Too bad he didn't appear to help him during the Sinister War, as I would have loved to see him incinirate Morlun with his atomic vision.

+ Mary Jane with Spider-Powers: During Spider-Island, MJ was the last citizen to gain spider-powers, because of her years close to Peter. If the Spider-Marriage is restored, I believe her spider powers should too. Since the "infection" took a long way to affect her, it would be normal if the "cure" didn't work completely on her and just stabilized her powers. MJ is no damsel in distress, but having her own spider powers could be very useful for her to survive in the future.

+ Flash and Anti-Venom: I have no problem with Flash as Anti-Venom, as his healing abilities are really handy, but honestly, a white uniform doesn't really fit on a soldier like him. I believe Flash would look much better with the symbiote known as Toxin. Before unbonding with Eddie Brock, Toxin had a "soldier outfit" very similar to Agent Venom; so it would be fitting for Flash to use it instead. As for Anti-Venom, I believe its healing powers would be more useful in other characters who could need them. And those characters would be Ben and Kaine, Peter's clones. Anti-Venom could be the key to cure the "clone degeneration", so I believe Ben could keep the symbiote while Kaine remains as the new Scarlet Spider.

+ Superior Spider-Man: As Doc Ock is back to his old self, I believe we could still have "Superior Spider-Man" as a clone (similar to Ben and Kaine) that mixes traces from both Peter and Octavius. With such combination, I believe there's an identity that could fit for it: Steel Spider. Oliver Osnick created it as a mix of Spider-Man and Doc Ock, so it's kinda fitting.

Well, what do you think of these possibilities?
    I would like to see Peter in situations where he is not playing to his strength and ( or) he has not often went before. Examples include: 1:,MJ getting kidnapped and he has 24 hours to find her: It involves playing detective ( not a strength of his) to follow the clues to save her. 2: Peter solo in outer space. Unless it is a team-up or a team comic like FF or Avengers he has rarely been in that situation ( Life Story conclusion being a notable exception). 3: Send him back in time to actually meet his parents. He would learn the truth about them, and they can learn what a hero he became. Bonus: He can learn he truth about Theresa. Is she really his sister or a clone?

Mighty Member

I'd love to see something on a smaller scale. Give Peter some street battles, focus on the relationship between him and MJ and give him a stable job.
    Basically, I want to return to the JMS era without the totem stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I would like to see Peter in situations where he is not playing to his strength and ( or) he has not often went before. Examples include: 1:,MJ getting kidnapped and he has 24 hours to find her: It involves playing detective ( not a strength of his) to follow the clues to save her.
    This was kinda already done with the Jonathan Caesar storyline in the early 300s (and to a less successful degree when MJ’s death was faked during the Mackie/Byrne relaunch).

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    This times a hundred. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see Sins Past and (possibly) OMD retconned, and would love seeing Ben come back as Spidey in ‘Beyond’, but….

I’ve been rereading old Roger Stern, Peter David and Tom DeFalco runs from the 1980s and the stories are fun and action-packed, but simple enough that you can pick up an issue and not feel lost. And I really miss that down-to-Earth quality where it seemed like it could happen in our world… Peter would fight against non-powered crime bosses, super-powered bank robbers who would complain about their plots being foiled, evil corporations and just street level thugs. There were still subplots simmering in the background like the alien costume, the Hobgoblin mystery and Peter’s romance with Felicia, but there was nothing constantly being reworked and “fixed” like there is now. It seems every big event’s sole purpose is to fix or address problems from an earlier big event. It’s so exhausting. Plus, all the multiverse crap, inheritors, supernatural threats, order of the web garbage, man-child regression (that’s more on Slott than Spencer), body swapping, cloning to fix every plot hole, and it gets so exhausting and convoluted. The Spidey mythos are really buckling under their own weight like the X-books did decades ago.
    They could use Peter's state I beyond, and have him go through rehabilitation, so he can get back to form and meanwhile, take on smaller threats.

A big, world shattering event is fine once in a while, but Spidey works surprisingly well with smaller crime stories. The question is, is Marvel still willing to do this kind of thing with Spidey?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

constantly being reworked and “fixed”... It seems every big event’s sole purpose is to fix or address problems from an earlier big event. It’s so exhausting.
    This has basically been DC since the mid-'00s.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Pete and MJ wit successful carreer, married and kids.

As far as MJ getting powers...at most I would say a blood transfusion from a super soldier...but she doe NOT become a hero. Just has some enhancement to better take care of herself if someone comes after her.

Astonishing Member

This was kinda already done with the Jonathan Caesar storyline in the early 300s (and to a less successful degree when MJ’s death was faked during the Mackie/Byrne relaunch).
    I agree The fake death was not well done. I still like the idea of Peter playing detective. But even if it is not MJ it could involve framing Spider-Man for a crime and he must get a he evidence to clear himself. There are lots of ways to go without venturing into Batman territory