Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah I liked Solo as well. Now I wonder sometimes if its destined to generally be ignored and denied like the Holiday Special.
    I doubt it, it's been referenced in comics and novels and there might be a Donald Glover led Lando series so it seems like Disney knows Solo wasn't some big wiff but an understandable( yet slightly inexplicable) slight miss.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah, Qi'Ra is even getting her own limited comic in a few months.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sta..._Crimson_Reign

I think part of the reason Solo flopped might also have been franchise fatique, it only came out a few months after The Last Jedi. Also the bad press around the director switch.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-21-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    We are getting an Indiana Jones movie. Given his age, it will be the last with Harrison Ford. I'm pretty sure the only it's getting made at all is because Ford wants to do it.

But no matter what approach the movie takes, it still has to come out before anyone can determine if it's a flop. Even if it has legacy plot. The question is what to do once Ford is out.

You want a recast. I want it to either end or continue with new characters. None of that matters because the decision isn't up to us. It's up to Disney.

Disney is only going to go forward without Harrison Ford if they believe it will make money. And the last time they tried that with an iconic character portrayed by Harrison Ford, it flopped hard.
    I doubt most people think it flopped because they replaced Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark is a really good film. The two sequels are pretty decent too. Don't need anything else ever, ta - it's a cultural moment that passed.
    Three sequels, there's three sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I doubt most people think it flopped because they replaced Ford.
    That is mostly why it flopped. It was a fun space romp, but few felt they were seeing Han Solo.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is mostly why it flopped. It was a fun space romp, but few felt they were seeing Han Solo.
    Disagree - I think some people want to paint it out like that's why it flopped, but I don't believe it's true or that those people are a majority.

Disagree - I think some people want to paint it out like that's why it flopped, but I don't believe it's true or that those people are a majority.
    So why did people not go to it in numbers of other SW movies? Why did it flop?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

People like to claim it was franchise fatigue and disappointment over The Last Jedi even though Rise of Skywalker made almost $700 million more than Solo.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

I think there were multiple reasons. All which have some validity. I don't think the release date was picked well either. That being said I like the movie. I am no expert in recasting iconic figures. But in my humble opinion is if you are going to do it, then wait until the generation that grew up with the figure is either to old to care, or dead. Then you have a chance. I don't mind recasting people. But a lot of people do. Its worked with spider-man and batman to some extent. But I don't think people attach those heros to a single actor. With Han Solo they just do. Personally I don't. But I think I am in the minority. To me Solo was a perfectly enjoyable Star Wars film. And most people who actually saw it don't have to much bad to say about it. Possibly one of the weirdest " flops" all time if you ask me. But there are reasons for it.

Like I said, the recasting was a big part of it. Especially since Ford had just been in a SW movie.
    Not the only reason, but a major factor.

As others said, came to close on the heels of the major movie, the sense that it wasn't important, the release date. It wasn't all one thing. You are free to disagree and believe what you want, but don't expect everyone else to agree with you.

As others said, came to close on the heels of the major movie, the sense that it wasn't important, the release date. It wasn't all one thing. You are free to disagree and believe what you want, but don't expect everyone else to agree with you.
    Did I say it was one thing? I said a major part.
    Are you saying the recasting played no or almost no part?

Did I say it was one thing? I said a major part.
    Are you saying the recasting played no or almost no part?
    I'm saying it wasn't a major part, no. A minor part, sure. I think it may have had some impact. But I don't think it was the biggest thing or even a big thing.

I'm saying it wasn't a major part, no. A minor part, sure. I think it may have had some impact. But I don't think it was the biggest thing or even a big thing.
    Okay, every negative review I read gave that as one of the reasons. But whatever.

My point would be recasting Ford for Indy would have the same bad, major impact on the Box Office.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-21-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Ultimate Member

I agree that Solo was released at the wrong time, if they waited 3-6 months later, I think that it would have done much better. The Last Jedi had just come out. I'm sure a lot of people who even liked Jedi, probably weren't in the mood for another Star Wars movie so soon.