Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I don't buy the time travel "leak" at all.

I've not see all the SW cartoons but the live action fare doesn't touch time travel. That trope is a strong Star Trek one though.
    Star Wars did do a quasi time travel thing in Rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Star Wars did do a quasi time travel thing in Rebels.
    Some of the later EU novels from the old continuity too. They basically force-projected into the past or something like that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well Disney has now delayed Indiana Jones V into 2023 now. No reason is given for delay but rumors are Disney has started to realize that this could go bad from rumored script leaks. Either way we will be saved a pure crap show in 2022.

https://ew.com/movies/indiana-jones-...vie-premieres/
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Is Indiana Jones really an evergreen IP concept that you can keep churning out sequels to? If you have a Harrison Ford sure enough, but those don't come along all that often. I wouldn't want a Deadpool movie without Ryan Reynolds, an Iron Man one without RDJr (and given 2 and 3, maybe not even then), and those at least are set in modern times.

Nazis have been done to death, archaeologists and explorers were more of an early 20th century obsession (that the original was inspired by/a love letter to), and the trilogy has a core audience of people in their 40s-60s. It's also very rare that a remake/reboot meets the quality (forget exceeds it) of the original, and often are products of their time. Nostalgia only counts for so much.

I'm sure you could make a good or successful Indiana Jones movie, whether you recast Indy or handed the whip to another, but is there anything inherently worthwhile in the concept that would appeal to today's audiences that couldn't be done another way and without comparisons/baggage? How often do these remakes/reboots meet or exceed their originals?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well Disney has now delayed Indiana Jones V into 2023 now. No reason is given for delay but rumors are Disney has started to realize that this could go bad from rumored script leaks. Either way we will be saved a pure crap show in 2022.

https://ew.com/movies/indiana-jones-...vie-premieres/
    They also delayed a bunch of Marvel movies, so I really doubt Indy's delay has anything to do with any perceived quality issues. If it was just Indy, maybe, but pushing a number of big release movies back at the same time pretty much indicates a larger issue, most likely production delays.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Is Indiana Jones really an evergreen IP concept that you can keep churning out sequels to? If you have a Harrison Ford sure enough, but those don't come along all that often. I wouldn't want a Deadpool movie without Ryan Reynolds, an Iron Man one without RDJr (and given 2 and 3, maybe not even then), and those at least are set in modern times.

Nazis have been done to death, archaeologists and explorers were more of an early 20th century obsession (that the original was inspired by/a love letter to), and the trilogy has a core audience of people in their 40s-60s. It's also very rare that a remake/reboot meets the quality (forget exceeds it) of the original, and often are products of their time. Nostalgia only counts for so much.

I'm sure you could make a good or successful Indiana Jones movie, whether you recast Indy or handed the whip to another, but is there anything inherently worthwhile in the concept that would appeal to today's audiences that couldn't be done another way and without comparisons/baggage? How often do these remakes/reboots meet or exceed their originals?

I mean its a good question. Personally I think you could do an excellent tv show but without Ford. Like a young Indiana jones. But maybe not. I think if something is done right you could keep growing the concept.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean its a good question. Personally I think you could do an excellent tv show but without Ford. Like a young Indiana jones. But maybe not. I think if something is done right you could keep growing the concept.
    I've actually heard good things about the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" show, just never got around to watching it. Looks like it's on Paramount+, which I do not have.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I've actually heard good things about the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" show, just never got around to watching it. Looks like it's on Paramount+, which I do not have.

Yea I liked it but it may not have aged well either as I haven't seen it in 30 years or whatever. But its an interesting question. I mean if you really think about it there are very few successful long term franchises in the movie world. I mean studios still crank out Terminator and Predator and other IPs but I wouldn't exactly call them relevant. Other than Bond, and Star Wars, and Marvel, Fast and Furious and possibly Star Trek there isn't really any IPs that have been able to keep cranking.

I will edit that. I guess Batman in all its forms is an IP that keeps motoring.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

As noted by another, Disney pushed back several Marvel films as well. That indicates a larger issue. Crying quality only shows the bias you've already formed on a film you've not seen one clip of footage on.

I enjoyed the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I re-watched them as recently as 5yrs ago and still felt they held up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

There's some surprisingly familiar faces in YIJ....

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...rley-and-more/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    As noted by another, Disney pushed back several Marvel films as well. That indicates a larger issue. Crying quality only shows the bias you've already formed on a film you've not seen one clip of footage on.

I enjoyed the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I re-watched them as recently as 5yrs ago and still felt they held up.
    Agreed.

Disney has pushed a LOT of their production release date forward.

It's a larger issue in Disney.

Wonder why. Could be the virus, but current projections seem to be that the pandemic will reach herd immunity by next March.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder why. Could be the virus, but current projections seem to be that the pandemic will reach herd immunity by next March.
    Yea honestly it could be something as simple as wanting to maximize profits. Who knows.

Also it's not the first time either I don't think. Remember when the Sequel trilogy was going to come out in the Summers of the years it came out, but instead wound up in the Holiday season? Pretty sure a lot of the Marvel films were moved around as well.

Funny thing is the one movie that did get a Summer release-Solo-flopped.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Fresh off really over exposing Star Wars and ruining it for a lot of fans ; Disney's next plan is to ruin Indiana Jones next.

According to rumors Indy will pass the bullwhip and fedora to...his female assistant. As Disney hopes to create their version of Tomb Raider.

Its the most idiot move. When we folks go see Indiana Jones...we wanna see Indy. We don't go to watch Lara Croft. And the same holds true for us who watch and play Tomb Raider games/movies.

We wanna see Lara Croft. Same with Uncharted.

But it appears Disney doesn't understand it. They can recast Indy and give us a classic Indy vs Nazis film in 30s or 40s.

The 4th film really wasn't good. I'm not a fan of how it went. But...the franchise clearly ended with #4. So yeah ...not gonna watch.
    While it's true Disney's definitely riding the "woke" train

(I don't think there was a white Anglosaxon male hero under 60 in the new Star Wars film cannon. It seemed like their sole purpose was to nobly sacrifice themselves and get out of the way for the new diverse generation lol)

the idea of a female Indiana Jones doesn't bother me so much. What bugs me is that it means it's going to take place in the 50's or 60's, and for me, Indiana Jones is a timepiece that should remain in the 1920's to 1940's early 50's at the latest.