Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men #3 (Cover and Mini-synopsis; Release Date: 9/22)

Chapter 3: Fearless

EVOLUTION IS THE ENEMY! The X-Men are no strangers to being targeted for their genes…but when the High Evolutionary returns with his brand of unnatural selection, the survival of the whole planet is at stake!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Chapter 3: Fearless

EVOLUTION IS THE ENEMY! The X-Men are no strangers to being targeted for their genes…but when the High Evolutionary returns with his brand of unnatural selection, the survival of the whole planet is at stake!

I've been waiting forever!!!

After nearly two months, I am ready to get back into this book. It drops next week, and I cannot wait.

So excited for this, fam.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Looking forward to the X-Men v the High Evolutionary, can't wait.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Soon.

This book gives me butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Soon.
    Is Lorna devolving? What's goin on with her face there??
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    This book gives me butterflies.
    Same!

Is Lorna devolving? What's goin on with her face there??
    lmao. No, it's just an anime-inspired stylistic choice.

The next Starbucks she has Lorna needs to throw it in the face of whoever approved that page. Holy Hela lmao.

Same!

lmao. No, it's just an anime-inspired stylistic choice.
    I had my obvious doubts going in based off of the later issues of Marauders, but Duggan has my wallet now.

Honestly this team just works and Synch is finally where he belongs. I love it all.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I had my obvious doubts going in based off of the later issues of Marauders, but Duggan has my wallet now.
    Same here and I totally agree. His work in Planet Size X-Men and the two issues of this series so far have impressed me quite a bit. It's like his writing suddenly made a progressive jump.

Honestly this team just works and Synch is finally where he belongs. I love it all.
    I think this is part of the secret. It's just a really great group of characters. As I noted in my review of #2 a month plus ago, there's a character representing nearly every decade of the X-Men since its debut. Jean, Scott, and Lorna (1960s), Sunfire (1970s), Rogue (1980s), Synch (1990s), and Laura (2000s). I think this fact gives the book a really expansive and familiar feel. I can't wait to see what he does with them in the upcoming months.

I'm only sad that they plan to change the roster every year, save for Jean and Scott, I suppose. I mean, this idea could work out brilliantly or be a dud. It depends...

preview thursday........

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    preview thursday........
    How do you know?

How do you know?
    Presumably because it comes out next Wednesday and they release lettered previews for comics the Thursday before it releases.
    However, I'm surprised they never released unlettered previews of this issue a few weeks in advance. They usually do that for 'big' comics, together with a short interview. They did it for X-Men 1 and 2. Maybe this issue has too many spoilers that they did not want to spoil early.

As for the X-Men roster, definitely expect a change in team members after issue 12 (which should come out in June 2022).
    Jean and Scott should be staying on as team leaders (since it is their project in-universe), but there is potential for the other team members to be rotated out.
    Duggan said in a podcast interview months ago that when he was putting this book together last year, he was going through a list of mutants. He picked some of them for the team (in the book right now), but there were others that he thought had potential but were a better fit with the 'Year 2' X-Men team instead, so he put them aside. So Duggan should already have a rough idea what the second team would look like. There should be another fan vote at the end of January 2022 to pick the 7th member of the Year 2 team.

That being said, this was when Duggan was putting the book together. He's now written at least six or seven issues of the team together. He could have changed his mind and realised he was having too much fun writing Everett and Laura and Shiro and Rogue and Lorna to let them go and decide to keep them around.

I'm generally very happy with this current team and how they play off of each other. I think my only disappointment (besides having no LGBT+ members) was that there was no Arakkii member in the line-up. If you look at the election data page back in X-Men 16, you can see that besides the two leaders, there were supposed to be six other members to the team (six eligible party affiliations), one of them being from the 'Arakkii Pillar'. However, when Gerry finalised his pitch for the book, there were only five additional members to the team with no one from Arakko amongst them. I can sort of understand his decision here. To have an Arakkii on the team, Pepe would have to design the character from scratch and Gerry would have to spend significant page time establishing their powers, personality and interactions with the team members. Gerry and Pepe were working under a significant time crunch to get X-Men 1 out and Pepe already had to design Feilong, the Treehouse, Doctor Stasis, Gameworld, Cordyceps Jones, etc. so they probably decided that they could not do this properly for the first team.

My hope is that since a lot of the groundwork would have already been laid by then, the Year 2 X-Men team has an eighth mutant member from Arakko.

Given Rogue's past experiences with the High Evolutionary, I hope that she will be highlighted in this issue