Default Inside of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie’s bedroom

Article here.

So, the media seems quite...taken...with the fact that Brian Laundrie, the prime suspect in the death of Gabby Petito, had "a Darth Vader mask and a collection of the Watchmen comics," in his room, along with a Batman poster and some other items.

The press isn't really going to start the "violent comic books made him a killer" narrative, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Article here.

So, the media seems quite...taken...with the fact that Brian Laundrie, the prime suspect in the death of Gabby Petito, had "a Darth Vader mask and a collection of the Watchmen comics," in his room, along with a Batman poster and some other items.

The press isn't really going to start the "violent comic books made him a killer" narrative, are they?
    Yeah... some words should never be spoken. speculating on them is a waste of time... and might actually cause them to come true.

Quickly!! Somebody call Dr. Wertham!!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The way the media spins tragedies into sensationalist, true crime stories is odious. There is nothing of redeeming value to be gained from following this unless you are in close proximity to the people involved. Some people just want to wallow in sordidness.

I don't even know why they mentioned the Vader helmet or the Watchmen comics. Like, how on earth are those connected? Surprised they didn't mention the Batman and Robin poster too.

I guess since they couldn't find a videogame console in that pic they had to find another scapegoat? Look, some people are bad people, some people are just murderers, no reason to throw geek culture under the bus to explain it.

Extraordinary Member

Looks like a low budget tabloid trying to pad an article and possibly get search results? I do not see much worth to discuss with regards to 'the media' going nuts with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't even know why they mentioned the Vader helmet or the Watchmen comics. Like, how on earth are those connected? Surprised they didn't mention the Batman and Robin poster too.

I guess since they couldn't find a videogame console in that pic they had to find another scapegoat? Look, some people are bad people, some people are just murderers, no reason to throw geek culture under the bus to explain it.
    They mentioned a Violent posters. So do they mean the Batman and Robin Poster? that is the only one I see.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    They mentioned a Violent posters. So do they mean the Batman and Robin Poster? that is the only one I see.
    It's from Batman #1, FWIW. Even anti-Bats fans on this site who proclaim him to be just as bad as his enemies can say that era's Bruce and Dick were anything but upstanding citizens.

Yeah, the guy likes comic-book and fantasy characters, which only encompasses a huge number of people in the US and around the world. These allusions were stupid when I was a kid and they're still stupid today.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's from Batman #1, FWIW. Even anti-Bats fans on this site who proclaim him to be just as bad as his enemies can say that era's Bruce and Dick were anything but upstanding citizens.

Yeah, the guy likes comic-book and fantasy characters, which only encompasses a huge number of people in the US and around the world. These allusions were stupid when I was a kid and they're still stupid today.
    I very much agree. but I do think its funny how many of the criminal mind enjoys comics. And I can see why the media jumps on it though I wish I didnt. In my prison comics were some what popular as we were allowed to have subscriptions to certain magazines and titles and have our family order trades and graphic novels from approved vendors. Some comics and titles were banned but we could get a good selection in.

Maybe Dr. Wertham was right after all?
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-22-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think they are referring to the piece of art on top of the small bookshelf which seems to have a theme of people engaging in various attacks on others (from what I can tell squinting at it)

Mighty Member

Ah The Sun.

Okay, fun fact about that Paper, no where in Liverpool UK will sell it because of the Hilsbury disaster.
    The only thing the paper had was ****, and we have the Internet for that.

Yeah, ignore it, let this paper die like the pitiful creature it is.
    It's one of Murdoch's rags.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Ah The Sun.

Okay, fun fact about that Paper, no where in Liverpool UK will sell it because of the Hilsbury disaster.
    The only thing the paper had was ****, and we have the Internet for that.

Yeah, ignore it, let this paper die like the pitiful creature it is.
    It's one of Murdoch's rags.
    Seconded. Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Article here.

They may, but it won't stick. If the Joker hysteria after the Aurora Shooting didn't end the Comic Book Movie trend, this likely won't either.

I'm more shocked by the fact that they call a three bedroms house with a garden and a fcking pool "modest".