Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Yay, seismic-2!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Thank you very much, Riv86672, for the vote! (Alan Davis is indeed as talented in the cute as in the creepy…)
    You’re welcome, and yeah, Alan Davis is a well rounded artist. He’s a bombastic action guru and great at conveying humor but he can def. do creepy!

Astonishing Member

Thanks, everyone! Thanks too to worstblogever for choosing a fun theme for the contest. I'll post a new contest later this morning. Everyone enjoy your day!

Great job seismic-2! A great cover. Look forward to the new contest
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congratulations to seismic-2 for a Definitely Controversial cover. The plot as well as the title were aspects that just never seemed to pop up back in the days when all Lois seemed to do was try to prove Clark was Superman. It is a story I would like to read, regardless of how good it turns out to be.

In the Peak of the Week, the captain has contemplated the idea of change. The idea had been posted that we want our characters to change and grow, and yet, we want them to maintain that familiarity that attracts us to them. The covers posted here are pretty much assumed to be situations that would be reversed by stories end. The story is "How do we reverse this?" as opposed to "How do we deal with this?". This is where comics present an unrealistic picture of life. When writers and editors decide the dramatic tension has gone on long enough, poof, Reed Richards or Will Magnus comes up with a new device. I'd like to think there are series that exist where kids (and grown-ups) can take a look at some sort of adversity befalling a character and seeing how they deal with it without a miraculous (IRL) fix. The captain has unashamedly gone off into SJW territory here.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 09-22-2021 at 06:23 PM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations seismic-2 for the wacky cover.

Truth to tell, In my early comic reading days it was these kind of stories that convinced me that DC was just too....silly for my young tastes .

Agreeing with CaptCleghorn about the illusion of change that is so prevalent in the medium. Back when Johnny Storm "died" defending the Baxter Building (or was it still Four Freedoms plaza back then ) from the hordes of Annilihus, it made for one of the most poignant "deaths" in comics. But the fact that it didn't last long diminishes it. Also, Johnny was much more mature under Hickman but what we have now with Slott is a regression to the goofy, immature version. Even under Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, he had made progress to the point where he was entering college. This was a development that was seldom brought up again under the writers that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Thanks, everyone! Thanks too to worstblogever for choosing a fun theme for the contest. I'll post a new contest later this morning. Everyone enjoy your day!
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Incidentally, it occurs to me that many of you are to young to remember what the title of that 1970 Lois Lane #106, I Am Curious - Black, refers to. It is a play on words based on the exceedingly dull Swedish movie I Am Curious - Yellow which, on account of its graphic depiction of sexuality, caused a sensation when it was released to art houses in the USA in 1967. Essentially, it caused the collapse of the existing system of movie censorship boards and led to the establishment of the modern movie "rating" system. Although almost no one actually saw the movie, and those who did found it almost unwatchable and boring, the film had such an impact on pop culture that its title became a meme for the next several years, resulting in its use on this comic. (As another example, a professor at a prominent university was concerned about the dwindling attendance in his physics class, so he advertised that next week's lecture would be "I Am Curious - Infrared".)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Congrats to seismic-2 and thanks to SquirrelMan for the vote!

This was the cover I thought would be posted:

No one posted this one? I almost went there.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Congrats seismic!

And I can't believe my LL cover actually garnered a couple of votes (thanks Nschornhorst and ed2962). But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised--Lois does have a great pair of gams
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 09-22-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Incidentally, it occurs to me that many of you are to young to remember what the title of that 1970 Lois Lane #106, I Am Curious - Black, refers to. It is a play on words based on the exceedingly dull Swedish movie I Am Curious - Yellow which, on account of its graphic depiction of sexuality, caused a sensation when it was released to art houses in the USA in 1967. Essentially, it caused the collapse of the existing system of movie censorship boards and led to the establishment of the modern movie "rating" system. Although almost no one actually saw the movie, and those who did found it almost unwatchable and boring, the film had such an impact on pop culture that its title became a meme for the next several years, resulting in its use on this comic. (As another example, a professor at a prominent university was concerned about the dwindling attendance in his physics class, so he advertised that next week's lecture would be "I Am Curious - Infrared".)
    Thanks for the clarification, seismic-2…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    K7P5V went with the X-Men cover that crossed my mind as I posted my Hulk/Vision example... but everyone knocked it out of the f'n park this week, TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    K7P5V for posting the one that immediately occurred to me.
    Thanks for the votes, guys. It really means a lot. (T^T)