Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Post-XLoW/XDoW X-Books Line-Up Speculation

I posted this earlier in the 'X Lives and X Deaths of Wolverine' thread but Jbenito believed that it would better serve as a thread of its own for people to speculate.

The original post:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Speaking of the post-XLoW/XDoW relaunch, what titles do we think will be included there?

The books that we know will be there (based on interviews):

1. X-Men by Gerry Duggan (flagship title)
    2. (untitled S.W.O.R.D. sequel) by Al Ewing
    3. Wolverine by Benjamin Percy
    4. (untitled Way of X sequel) by Si Spurrier
    5. (untitled X-villain solo/team book) by Victor LaValle - I have long supected this to involve Sabertooth; he probably escapes during Inferno
    6. The X-Cellent by Peter Milligan - This one is probably not under the Krakoa branding
    7. (Untitled Gambit book) by Chris Claremont - This is either another volume of X-Men Legends or a Gambit miniseries, probably not under the Krakoan branding either

The books that are quite likely to be there in some form:

8. (untitled New Mutants sequel) by Vita Ayala - This basically combines the plots of Vita's New Mutants and Children of the Atom into a single book that focuses on the lives of the younger mutants on Krakoa. Possible titles: New Mutants (vol 5), Generation X, Academy X
    9. Marauders follow-up by Gerry Duggan / new writer
    10. Excalibur follow-up by Tini Howard / new writer
    11. X-Force follow-up by Benjamin Percy / new writer

For 9, 10 and 11, everything depends on how the writers wrap up their runs in December. If all the lingering mysteries are resolved (Kate's gate problem, the source of the Mercury, the identity of the Chronicler, Colossus's Russia flashbacks, the ousting of Merlyn...), I can see new writers taking over the books (especially for Marauders and X-Force, since Duggan and Percy already have another book in the line). Otherwise, these books might be continuations with the same writers but with a new numbering.

The books that are a possibility but very unlikely to be there:

X-Factor follow-up. I think the main problem with this is that I believe that The Trial of Magneto will be Leah Williams's exit from the X-Books, at least in the short term. I think X-Factor as a Krakoan institution is likely to remain (somebody needs to investigate mutant deaths) and will probably keep showing up in other books (like in New Mutants for the Tier business). Some members will probably migrate to other books (like Rachel to Excalibur).

Hellions follow-up. This is a good book but I think Zeb Wells is bringing its story to an end this December. There is likely to be a schism with Mr Sinister coming soon so I don't see the set-up of this book working after Inferno. Zeb Wells has also managed to get a much more high-profile gig as the writer of Amazing Spider-Man so I think he will be transitioning to that title full time.

X-Corp follow-up. Unlike Excalibur which I quite enjoy, I think this book has serious conceptual problems. The set-up is weak, the villain is weak, the plotting is hazy. Like many have suggested, I think the best option here is to fold the X-Corp board into the Marauders follow-up, so we can keep these characters in circulation and give Marauders the kick it needs to feel fresh again.

Magik.

Is obvious she is getting the Doc work or the title.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    (...)
    The books that are a possibility but very unlikely to be there:

X-Factor follow-up. I think the main problem with this is that I believe that The Trial of Magneto will be Leah Williams's exit from the X-Books, at least in the short term. I think X-Factor as a Krakoan institution is likely to remain (somebody needs to investigate mutant deaths) and will probably keep showing up in other books (like in New Mutants for the Tier business). Some members will probably migrate to other books (like Rachel to Excalibur).

Hellions follow-up. This is a good book but I think Zeb Wells is bringing its story to an end this December. There is likely to be a schism with Mr Sinister coming soon so I don't see the set-up of this book working after Inferno. Zeb Wells has also managed to get a much more high-profile gig as the writer of Amazing Spider-Man so I think he will be transitioning to that title full time.

X-Corp follow-up. Unlike Excalibur which I quite enjoy, I think this book has serious conceptual problems. The set-up is weak, the villain is weak, the plotting is hazy. Like many have suggested, I think the best option here is to fold the X-Corp board into the Marauders follow-up, so we can keep these characters in circulation and give Marauders the kick it needs to feel fresh again.
    Just my two cents, as much as self minted coins are worthless.
    I think X-factor as national investigation service for mutant deaths and mutant commited crimes could still work very well in the sense of a super powered crime drama title (like X-files meets Law and Order). But i also think it needs a rework, new team and new focus to play into the strengths of such a premise.

Basicly a new mandate on how the whole book and the titular organization is set up and a writer who can pull it off.
    Williams' strength and focus seemed much more on what felt like "high school relationship drama" to me, so while many people seemed to love that drama it didn't reflect in sales and as super hero or even just super natural adventure title it failed.

Hellions was indeed a great read and i can understand why the title ends with things likely going a bit upside down with Inferno and it's aftermath. It would be nice to have another oddball team title under his pen in what comes next. But i completely understand him if he wants to commit to his Spiderman gig.

If the X-office can't get another writer in who can write a compelling oddball team, which also plays well into an overall plot, i feel it's better if they didn't.

I don't think X-corp needs to be incorperated into another title. It just needs to go away and be shifted to being a backround entity entirely. Like Stark Enterprises, Wayne Tech, Damage Control and all the other "vital but boring" organizations which exist to explain where heros get their logistics or money from to do their super heroics.
    All this book did in my opinion, was to actualy taint the image of X-corp as a capable, usefull organization by showing the leadership as incompetent, amoral and filled with unrepented villains. Sure one could make a joke about that being the standard for big corperations, but it's supposed to be a super hero based corperation, so it should have higher standard so the heros who gain help from them aren't sabotaged in their moral value by association.

As for Marauders. It seems to have long abandoned the whole "pirate super heros" theme and has officialy become the "Emma Frost and her Henchmen" show, though it seems to do relatively well being that, so perhaps it would be better if they just drop the pretense and make it officialy about Emma and her team of problem solvers without the restriction to "high seas adventures" which never happen anyway.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-15-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Not sure about solos but for team books:

X-Men (the one currently by Duggan)

another "X-Men" core book, maybe even Uncanny X-Men - I think this is where we may find Storm if she returns to Earth, Gambit, Logan and other high profile names.

I still think Marauders will end as well around the end of the year, and we may see a mashup of X-Corp and Marauders.

New Mutants or other appropriately designated "younger" generation of X-Men

X-Force type of book that could retain X-Force name, or something else. Some kind of black ops type of book.

Excalibur-possibly? I'm really not sure if there's a need. Or a want.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Not sure about solos but for team books:

X-Men (the one currently by Duggan)

another "X-Men" core book, maybe even Uncanny X-Men - I think this is where we may find Storm if she returns to Earth, Gambit, Logan and other high profile names.

I still think Marauders will end as well around the end of the year, and we may see a mashup of X-Corp and Marauders.

New Mutants or other appropriately designated "younger" generation of X-Men

X-Force type of book that could retain X-Force name, or something else. Some kind of black ops type of book.

Excalibur-possibly? I'm really not sure if there's a need. Or a want.
    The poster who usually has good spoilers claims we'll def get:

-XMEN by Duggan
    -Marauders relaunch w Duggan
    -Al Ewing "X-MEN, not Uncanny though" book w Cable and Storm leading
    -Another mini-series from Spurrier

-Excalibur and Force, he's not sure about...

He said New Mutants is over but surely we'll get another "younger generation" book...

Also 2 other books yet to be revealed.

Mighty Member

X-men by duggan most certainly.
    Either this Wolverine event is the ending of Percy's runs on Wolverine and X-Force or he'll continue with Wolverine.
    Al Ewing's SWORD follow up will probably be the one to continue a lot of Hickman's threads. Expect the Shiar to appear in that book at some point.
    Obviously a Spurrier book will come out.
    Excalibur is probably finished, but I can see Vita continuing their story with another book. Maybe a new volume or a spiritual continuation.
    I can see Howard's time with X-Men finished, although she may get a smaller mini series/Event to conclude any dangling threads.

Just remembered that Steve Orlando teased at the end of his Somnus story that it will continue next year, maybe he's writing a book too.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post

-XMEN by Duggan

He said New Mutants is over but surely we'll get another "younger generation" book...

Ah thank you, I have not kept up with the news/rumors that well the last week so this rumored recap is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post

-XMEN by Duggan

he said excalibur is ending too
    Be kind, it's FREE

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The fact that Marvel is letting Percy take point on the lead in to the relaunch suggests he will have a prominent spot in the new line up. Unfortunate, because I find him to be one of the weaker writers of the current crop.

I hope Wells and Ayala get books. I hope that rumor about Ewing getting a book is true.

I hope Howard goes far far away. I wouldn't mind Excalibur continuing with a new writer.

Very surprised about the Marauders relaunch. I’m not going to get into all of the usual complaints about it, but I kind of feel like the book has run it’s course (Shaw even seems to have an amicable relationship with Kate and Emma now).

As many have stated, I love Hellions and the cast with it. I hope we get something with maybe a mixture of someone ( or two ) from maybe the MLF, Dark Riders, Acolytes, Nasty Boys. Or at least characters from some of these.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The fact that Marvel is letting Percy take point on the lead in to the relaunch suggests he will have a prominent spot in the new line up. Unfortunate, because I find him to be one of the weaker writers of the current crop.

I hope Wells and Ayala get books. I hope that rumor about Ewing getting a book is true.

I hope Howard goes far far away. I wouldn't mind Excalibur continuing with a new writer.
    I think Howard is done with the X-Books. I like her Excalibur, I like it a lot, but it's been running on auto pilot since X of Swords.

Seems like post Inferno the primary X-writers will be Duggan, Percy and Ewing. Not sure who else. Rumors have Duggan continuing on X-men and Marauders, Ewing getting an X-men book to replace SWORD with Cable and Storm in it, Wolverine continuing and probably X-Force too. Everything else seems up in the air.

Is there really a need for another Excalibur book? Maybe they could wrap up plots, but Excalibur doesn't really add anything anymore. Otherworld stuff is pretty irrelevant to Krakoa overall and doesn't need its own book. Betsy as Captain Britain has been well-established. The concept of mutant magic has essentially been forgotten at this point.