4 5.97%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Default Gloves?

Trying to keep it as simple as possible here:

GLOVES.

On Superman.

As part of his basic costume / uniform.

Across all titles and media going forward.

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

Don't Care?

Why? Briefly explain in a sentence or four.

Me:

Yes. Because, IMHO, done right ...

They would make his costume look better.

They would make it look more symmetrical.

They would make it look more sci-fi.

They would make it look slightly more "other".

What say you?

Nope. Just looks weird to me. I know that's not a particularly deep answer but that's all I've got. Gloves on the costume as constituted looks strange.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

If you think about it, Superman touches so many things that I think all of us should be surprised why no one tries to take his fingerprints and match it with Clark Kent?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Bare handed is a visual and term used to express ruggedness, toughness, strength, etc. So gloves to me express safety and weakness. I wouldn't mind the visual if the character hasn't been bare handed for 80 years (and therefore different from most popular heroes) .

No, they look weird on him
    IMG_0237.jpg

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Depends largely on the look of the costume that comes with the gloves, and on the look of the gloves themselves. Clark from American Alien sports something similar to pretty great effect http://fanboysinc.com/wp-content/upl...16-Page-21.jpg They give off a very blue collar feel to them that I think is always nice to keep with Superman.

But ultimately the classic suit has so much going for it in terms of recognition, color balance, and approachability that I still haven't seen a suit outside of Santa Claus' that really has the same effect.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    No, they look weird on him
    IMG_0237.jpg
    That definitely isn't what I had in mind, as it isn't symmetric enough with the boots. And DEFINITELY no high collar (or any collar) if gloves get added.

More like (but still not exactly) this:

Those things looking like cutoff gloves here is the only thing I do not like about this otherwise excellent rendition by deviantArt user mase0ne.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.

He needs that band of fabric between the thumb and index finger.

melissa-benoist-gets-back-to-supergirl-filming-after-filing-from-divorce-from-blake-jenner-02.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Bare handed is a visual and term used to express ruggedness, toughness, strength, etc. So gloves to me express safety and weakness. I wouldn't mind the visual if the character hasn't been bare handed for 80 years (and therefore different from most popular heroes) .
    Ditto. It's no coincidence that as Red Son Superman went "darker"/more authoritarian, he got gloves.

His bare hands are all of the things you mentioned, but also warm, caring, and human. The gloves are too "cold". Superman should never be "cold".

So it's not just a no, but a never for me. Unless it's a VERY unique Superman, and not the classic.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

No.. I canīt see him with gloves..

He isn't Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny he doesn't need to be wearing gloves.

Astonishing Member

Gloves are just one more thing for Clark Kent to have to keep track of out of costume. And covering his hands implies he has something to hide on those hands (like a wedding band). No sir, I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Ditto. It's no coincidence that as Red Son Superman went "darker"/more authoritarian, he got gloves.

His bare hands are all of the things you mentioned, but also warm, caring, and human. The gloves are too "cold". Superman should never be "cold".

So it's not just a no, but a never for me. Unless it's a VERY unique Superman, and not the classic.

Damn. Those two posts put together are the strongest argument against the gloves that I 've ever heard / read. Well done, guys. Excellently put.

I still maintain that gloves could be cool, if done right. But really the only way I can now see such a "drastic" change actually working would be the "Ultimates' Fury" method:

Step 1. Introduce "radical" change in a successful and acclaimed AU comic book title,

Step 2: Have that same change in character carried over to a live - action project which becomes much more successful and popular than the mainstream comic.

Step 3: Have the mainstream comic follow suit regarding said character

Step 4: "radical" change becomes default mode for character across all media going forward with little to no major backlash

So yeah, it's a long shot to say the least.

But there IS a chance it could work out well too.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

I wanted to add that but my lunch break was up. Gloves feel impersonal. Bare hands go with the no mask thing in making him both very bold but personal. The other heroes who do this are very mighty, but Martian Manhunter being a telepathic shapeshifter has a natural association with deception. Thor and Diana are known for enchanted weapons in those hands. Superman shows up and all he brings is himself.

Must be my age, but I really don't think "darkness" when I see gloves. Or aristocrats, I think of Looney Tunes, and classic animation. Unless it's set in the winter, gloves are mostly comical to me.