Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default World of Krypton by Robert Venditti and Michael Avon Oeming

On Krypton, writer Robert Venditti (GREEN LANTERN, THE SURROGATES) and artist Michael Avon Oeming (POWERS) are going back in time in this modern telling of one of the most storied periods in comics in WORLD OF KRYPTON. When a catastrophic event befalls Krypton’s natural world, it points toward a mass extinction in the making. Jor-El, head of Krypton’s revered Science Council, embarks on a mission to save a world that may already have passed the point of no return.

This six issue miniseries shines new light on the famous characters of Krypton’s past—including Jor-El, General Dru-Zod, and even a young Kara Zor-El—World of Krypton combines action, cosmic wonder, and political intrigue in a story as much about our world as the one on the page.

And if that’s not enough to draw you in: there will be puppy Krypto.
    Last edited by Hypo; 09-15-2021 at 06:30 AM.

I like seeing more of Krypton and the art looks nice. I'm interested.

Just undo the Oz bussiness. And left out of continuity the Circle nonsense. That is all I ask for.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Just undo the Oz bussiness. And left out of continuity the Circle nonsense. That is all I ask for.
    I doubt that they'd bring up the whole Oz thing. Least, I hope this references nothing of the sort and just focuses on the normal doom of Krypton type stuff.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I doubt this is canon. But even still, it says a lot about Byrne's reboot that Lara's fancy headpiece gets recycled over and over again in these kinds of stories when every other element gets thrown out.
    Assassinate Putin!

I hope they give Lara a good role in this. Venditti is usually pretty solid on that type of stuff. Not crazy about Oeming, I was a huge fan of his back on Powers, have a couple of sketches of his actually, but I feel like his style has gotten more and more cartoony and exaggerated. Not sure how it will work with this type of tale.

Venditti has done enjoyable work with Krypton in his Hawkman series and I really loved his Supergirl Annual. I’m in! Only downside is I don’t think Oeming is a good choice for this kind of series. Too cartoony and he’s a better fit for stuff with lots of action.

One request I have is please don’t just make Lara the housewife again. Give her something to do whether as a scientist or a soldier, don’t just have her standing around.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I doubt this is canon. But even still, it says a lot about Byrne's reboot that Lara's fancy headpiece gets recycled over and over again in these kinds of stories when every other element gets thrown out.
    It’s a cool look, I’ll give it that much.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I'm always up for more Krypton stuff. I'm guessing this'll have some considerable time skips along the way because Kara's a baby in the preview, and I doubt this won't cover Krypton's explosion (although maybe it would be better if it focuses on just the one moment instead of all the "Last Days of Krypton" beats we already know by heart). Not the biggest fan of Venditti's Superman but something of this nature basically guarantees it's more ambitious than his other works.

And yes, definitely give Lara something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I doubt that they'd bring up the whole Oz thing. Least, I hope this references nothing of the sort and just focuses on the normal doom of Krypton type stuff.
    Including Rogol Zaar destroying Krypton?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I don't know if this is intended as the "new, super-definitive, all-time origin of Krypton and it's destruction" issue but if the execution can pull it off, all power to them.

Oeming seems like a weird fit for this, but maybe the tone and coloring will make it fit.

I'm kind of wondering how much time-jumps will be here...it sounds like Kara will be a major character so it seems like it will be chronicling her growing up as much as it does the El family reacting to everything and learning about Krypton's destruction. Also Zor-El radiating strong kid brother energy there.

Premise is interesting but that art is doing much favors for me.

Guessing this will cover the span from Kara’s birth to Krypton’s death.

I like the scifi aesthetic, not so much the people though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Venditti has done enjoyable work with Krypton in his Hawkman series and I really loved his Supergirl Annual. I’m in! Only downside is I don’t think Oeming is a good choice for this kind of series. Too cartoony and he’s a better fit for stuff with lots of action.

One request I have is please don’t just make Lara the housewife again. Give her something to do whether as a scientist or a soldier, don’t just have her standing around.

It’s a cool look, I’ll give it that much.
    Liked his Green Lantern as well. I guess the jury is still out on the art for this book though...

Can't say I've read Man of Tomorrow, seems to get pretty mixed reviews. First issue of 78 was kinda mediocre for me. This does have a cool concept though.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 09-15-2021 at 09:47 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Including Rogol Zaar destroying Krypton?
    No, not that.

Maybe it's best this stay out of continuity...

None of Bendis’ stuff is going to referenced here (I know you guys are memeing but just in case there’s anyone seriously worried).