Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    He didn't start off as terrible. And, of course, hindsight is always 20/20. Still, you've made some interesting points.

What series/issue was this?
    I'll never forget him trying to control Wolverine by giving him demerits, hah. And I can't find the issue now that I'm on the spot. I think it was in Uncanny. It was after Jean came back and before Scott came back, because they had their reunion partially to mourn him being dead and Jean not being dead. Xavier was in control of Fantomex's body at the time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    It's funny though cause i can see how someone sees him that way and can't disagree but for me it's like two different periods. So there's the me that takes it as it happened and can still see Xavier that way as a sincere but somewhat manipulative dude that was trying to do the best he could and i do think for the most part that was the original intent. but then with what we now know of Moria and the new history my mind then becomes very logical and its like well wait a minute he wasn't just doing these things to help jean or save Storm, he already had to know it was going to happen but i seen them sisters in almost all those lives we saw of Moira with the x-men shot and the periods really stood out to me, like the Golden years with the 05, that was probably a life that was amazing for Jean. Her and Scott prob got married, had kids, went on and lived their life, they didn't know pain the way Scott and Jean know today but that wasn't enough, because Moira died, and that life rewound and Jean and Scott didn't have a happy ending this time, and the phoenix corrupted the real jean instead of the one at Jamacia bay and then i think, Damn Xavier has to live with that because he saw Moira's lives and in those lives she knew those characters so he experienced lives Jean and Storm and Scott don't even remember, ones when they were happy, ones when they werent and he has the burden of getting it right, or as right as he can. And i just can't hate the man.

That is what i truly love about Hox of POX where it took my mind, for all intents and purposes magneto and Xavier and Apocalypse, they don't have a choice, they are all stuck in the web of Moria's power and she has as much control over it as Rogue trying to absorb ms marvel. There was just something so tragic beyond the backdrop of mutants finally getting to be happy and though emma has been through it a lot in this life and said "one more time" She is the most innocent out of the founders because while she may have an idea of Moira, she has no idea how many lives they got it wrong. How much happiness was sacraficed, how much pain was given. She can be smug and right at the same time because she really just doesn't know. It's just such a fascinating approach at right and wrong, the cost of happiness and it makes me thankful that i experienced those two different eras because it combines into sometihng just so complex.
    This is very true the amount of psychological strain Moira literally put Xavier under was one of the main causes of the entity of Onslaught per Moira's diaries.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Oh no I totally agree and I really wish writers wouldn't dive so deeply into that aspect of his character Hickman gave Xavier moments of him playing watching mutant children playing in Krakoan fields like in HoX #1, him weeping over the death of his "children" during the Orchis assualt and him reinforcing his love for humankind in X-Men #4, him being proud that Scott and Jean defied the QC and re-made the X-men.

But I feel like some writers just find it easy to write him as shady and manipulative without any nuance imo.
    I understand how you feel. Hickman has certainly depicted him as sort of... mentally ill and unaware of it?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    It's funny though cause i can see how someone sees him that way and can't disagree but for me it's like two different periods. So there's the me that takes it as it happened and can still see Xavier that way as a sincere but somewhat manipulative dude that was trying to do the best he could and i do think for the most part that was the original intent. but then with what we now know of Moria and the new history my mind then becomes very logical and its like well wait a minute he wasn't just doing these things to help jean or save Storm, he already had to know it was going to happen but i seen them sisters in almost all those lives we saw of Moira with the x-men shot and the periods really stood out to me, like the Golden years with the 05, that was probably a life that was amazing for Jean. Her and Scott prob got married, had kids, went on and lived their life, they didn't know pain the way Scott and Jean know today but that wasn't enough, because Moira died, and that life rewound and Jean and Scott didn't have a happy ending this time, and the phoenix corrupted the real jean instead of the one at Jamacia bay and then i think, Damn Xavier has to live with that because he saw Moira's lives and in those lives she knew those characters so he experienced lives Jean and Storm and Scott don't even remember, ones when they were happy, ones when they werent and he has the burden of getting it right, or as right as he can. And i just can't hate the man.

That is what i truly love about Hox of POX where it took my mind, for all intents and purposes magneto and Xavier and Apocalypse, they don't have a choice, they are all stuck in the web of Moria's power and she has as much control over it as Rogue trying to absorb ms marvel. There was just something so tragic beyond the backdrop of mutants finally getting to be happy and though emma has been through it a lot in this life and said "one more time" She is the most innocent out of the founders because while she may have an idea of Moira, she has no idea how many lives they got it wrong. How much happiness was sacraficed, how much pain was given. She can be smug and right at the same time because she really just doesn't know. It's just such a fascinating approach at right and wrong, the cost of happiness and it makes me thankful that i experienced those two different eras because it combines into sometihng just so complex.
    Well, now, you've just taken my mind places. You've actually given me a lot to think about and a craving to reread "HoX of PoX,", lol. No, seriously, you've given me a lot to mull over. And I do want to reread HoX/PoX now.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'll never forget him trying to control Wolverine by giving him demerits, hah. And I can't find the issue now that I'm on the spot. I think it was in Uncanny. It was after Jean came back and before Scott came back, because they had their reunion partially to mourn him being dead and Jean not being dead. Xavier was in control of Fantomex's body at the time.
    God, I vaguely remember the moment and, like you, can't remember the issue! I hate when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I think it's Rosenberg's annual (Astonishing X-Men)

I absolutely ADORE the art in this. Not hooked yet on the story but it is so pretty to look at.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Amazing Member

I noticed that Magneto magnetized Cap's shield and threw it at Iron Man. Has he always been able to do this? I thought that vibranium was beyond Magneto's power.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yes heīs been using Capīs shield since the silver age, it just that some writers consider he can manipulate vibranium and others donīt but in reality even if vibranium is not a magnetic metal he can just use an anti-gravity field around an object to manipulate it. His power is not just controlling metal. He controls the forces of magnetism. Electromagnetism is “The electromagnetic force is one of the four fundamental interactions (commonly called forces) in nature which means he also is able to manipulate gravity and light.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-15-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It'd be a very terrible plan if the plan is to trick the Avengers into thinking Wanda is alive since there is no way it would hold up without actually resurrecting her eventually
    I think I recall that Wanda's cerebro record has backups before House of M. So someone might have resurrected her and that is why Hope was involved and Wanda kissed Vision
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-15-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I think I recall that Wanda's cerebro record has backups before House of M. So someone might have resurrected her and that is why Hope was involved and Wanda kissed Vision
    So basically they reverted Wanda to before she snapped in House of M. Shouldn't everyone then be thanking Magneto now? They basically reverted her back to when she was more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Yes heīs been using Capīs shield since the silver age, it just that some writers consider he can manipulate vibranium and others donīt but in reality even if vibranium is not a magnetic metal he can just use an anti-gravity field around an object to manipulate it. His power is not just controlling metal. He controls the forces of magnetism. Electromagnetism is “The electromagnetic force is one of the four fundamental interactions (commonly called forces) in nature which means he also is able to manipulate gravity and light.
    I always got the impression that the "electromagnetic spectrum" stuff for Magneto was quite a bit harder than straight ferromagnetism. That's why he almost never actually uses gravity powers and plastic weapons work against him.

I did read that in hypothetical fights between Superman and Magneto, Magneto would just alter the sunlight to recreate the effect of a red sun and depower Superman.
    Last edited by Yistaan; 09-15-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    So basically they reverted Wanda to before she snapped in House of M. Shouldn't everyone then be thanking Magneto now? They basically reverted her back to when she was more stable.

I always got the impression that the "electromagnetic spectrum" stuff for Magneto was quite a bit harder than straight ferromagnetism. That's why he almost never actually uses gravity powers and plastic weapons work against him.

I did read that in hypothetical fights between Superman and Magneto, Magneto would just alter the sunlight to recreate the effect of a red sun and depower Superman.
    Manipulation of the electromagnetic spectrum is his main power, itīs just that the movie influence sometimes is too strong so writers and artists started using him as a metal manipulator mainly but his power is manipulation of the electromagnetic spectrum.

That idea of red sun rays is interesting, I think he could to it in theory but it would take him some time and effort, when he takes his time he can manipulate the basic structure of electrons, his limits usually involve him losing a grip on his mind when he uses his powers at those levels constantly but Capīs shield is quite easy to manipulate for him.

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Is the mood really supposed to be somber? I mean, maybe I'm a cynic, but I honestly am reading this as kinda a dark comedy. Hence, Tony's remarks and the whole farce scene with Emma. We will get sad or even scary moments but death in comics is pretty much a publicity stunt at this point. I mean we're dealing with death in comic books in the literal side of the MU where death is no longer an issue. I think in the end this is all exploring the ressurection protocols further and whatever the end result will allow mutants to see maybe future things they will need to consider.

And I feel that for the most part, everyone's fine enough character wise. But I guess millage will vary for people on that front.
    In story it should definitely be somber for two reasons First because we the readers although we know the bigger picture in totality, we are following events in real time, and in real time everything is taken seriously for example X-Force don't just go 'why the heck are we investigating this, we know we have the protocols' .Second whatever goes on Krakoa, even if it's a front to the rest of the world.This very story is dealing with Avengers (in effect outsiders) coming in to pick the body of their comrade, for whom death is final hence the mood exhibited by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    Wanda was stable after HoM too. It was possession. Once she was removed of it all the way back in CC, she was fine.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member

So they just gave Onslaught access to years of Wanda’s memories and the ability to influence her.

Great job *claps*

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    So they just gave Onslaught access to years of Wanda’s memories and the ability to influence her.

Great job *claps*
    Wandaslaught as the event's big bad, the ultimate bogeyman for mutants.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    His god-complex seems to have superseded his empathic qualities. He is rather sinister to me now; lecherous, almost, but not in a sexual way, if that makes sense... It both saddens and thrills me, in a way. It makes for great stories.
    I think 'voyeuristic' is a better word to describe him, especially because how his power always infringes on another's privacy. He just can't keep his mental peepers shut, he always has to observe what he shouldn't.
    Last edited by Rev9; 09-16-2021 at 01:32 AM.