Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I love it I will be buying this

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    This makes you wonder if Marvel has bigger plans for Ben Reilly then simply being the “Substitute Teacher” for Peter?

The whole point of Beyond should be twofold to me

#1 It should serve as what the first run as Spider-man should've been. I don't care if you're a fan of Ben Reilly or not but it shouldn't be that hard to admit that his first time as Spider-man got ruined by editorial and sales department mismanagement so he deserves a 2nd go as Spider-man without being derailed by something.

#2 To flesh out the further the differences between him and Peter and set him up as a viable character with a distinct direction to be used going forward.

These two things shouldn't be that hard to accomplish if you ask me but we shall see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    The whole point of Beyond should be twofold to me

#1 It should serve as what the first run as Spider-man should've been. I don't care if you're a fan of Ben Reilly or not but it shouldn't be that hard to admit that his first time as Spider-man got ruined by editorial and sales department mismanagement so he deserves a 2nd go as Spider-man without being derailed by something.

#2 To flesh out the further the differences between him and Peter and set him up as a viable character with a distinct direction to be used going forward.

These two things shouldn't be that hard to accomplish if you ask me but we shall see.
    I happen to agree with you. The problem I have with Beyond is Ben having Peter’s supporting cast and villains. Felicia and Kraven do not need to be in a Ben comic. Ben needs his own people to deal with. I especially do not want to see Felicia. I have argued before that she should not even be in Amazing with Peter. Why? She ( like Ben) needs her own supporting cast and villains. Felicia even more so because she is not ending up with Peter a point made not once by twice ( Black Cat Strikes and Symboite) she loses to MJ. While I concede it is AU the point is she still lost. One obvious difference between Ben and MJ and I hope that when Peter leaves the book MJ goes with him. Why? The focus should be on Ben not on Peter’s supporting cast. The presence of MJ makes you think Peter NOT Ben.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I happen to agree with you. The problem I have with Beyond is Ben having Peter’s supporting cast and villains. Felicia and Kraven do not need to be in a Ben comic. Ben needs his own people to deal with. I especially do not want to see Felicia. I have argued before that she should not even be in Amazing with Peter. Why? She ( like Ben) needs her own supporting cast and villains. Felicia even more so because she is not ending up with Peter a point made not once by twice ( Black Cat Strikes and Symboite) she loses to MJ. While I concede it is AU the point is she still lost. One obvious difference between Ben and MJ and I hope that when Peter leaves the book MJ goes with him. Why? The focus should be on Ben not on Peter’s supporting cast. The presence of MJ makes you think Peter NOT Ben.
    MJ and Ben were good friends and I think it was criminal they glossed over their relationship in the CC period, so I'd like to see MJ stick around a while, see if she's supportive of him as Spidey or not. And hell, even catch up. Peter likely told her Ben was back but we didn't see her reaction.

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodo hmygodohmygodohmygod! Yesssssssss!

After very bad day at work... Here comes great news! Yes! Yes! More Ben! I'm overeacting again but... I don't care! Can't wait! Gimme those new comics right now. Ben, Janine, twisted Kaine and that book number 400 with May... Nostalgia is strong. I'm going to read some good ol' Clone Saga moments to get myself even more ready for Ben's comeback.

I think I just peed myself...

I don't even know what to say!!!!!!

I'm just so excited that we're getting so many comics featuring Ben in the coming months. I'm going to Twitter to celebrate with Mr. DeMatteis, and I hope those of you with social media accounts let Marvel know over and over how excited you are that Ben is appearing regularly again!

-Pav, who hopes he can afford to buy multiple copies of all Ben's upcoming appearances...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

If this were another volume of Scarlet Spider then I'd agree with you about not being too reliant upon Peter's cast and villains but he's taking up the mantle of Spider-man so I don't find it all that odd that he should interact with some of the established cast and villains while establishing some of his own for future stories.

I don't see any reason why they can't do a little of both. To me it's just kind of an odd expectation not only for this story but really for any replacement story that the replacement have minimal or no interaction with established cast and villains.

I mean they could do the BND approach and for the most part rely on new cast and villains but if memory serves correctly that method wasn't really received to well for the most part.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodo hmygodohmygodohmygod! Yesssssssss!

After very bad day at work... Here comes great news! Yes! Yes! More Ben! I'm overeacting again but... I don't care! Can't wait! Gimme those new comics right now. Ben, Janine, twisted Kaine and that book number 400 with May... Nostalgia is strong. I'm going to read some good ol' Clone Saga moments to get myself even more ready for Ben's comeback.

I think I just peed myself...
    We agree to disagree eon this one. I am just of the opinion that after Peter leaves the book, 100% of the non-villain focus should be on Ben, until Peter returns to the book. The idea of MJ crying over Peter “Will he live or will he die?” ir crying of her deceased love is so soap Opera like it is not funny and is an absolute distraction. I have felt the way to go was Peter and MJ take a vacation where he can heal physically and mentally and get his PhD ( regardless of Ben). Obviously they are going to Peter dead or worse Peter in a coma. Everyone knows one day he is coming back. The only question is when.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I think the Spider-man Beyond comments should stay in that thread. This thread is about Ben Reilly's first time as Spider-man and the new stories we'll get that occur in that era.

This is pretty thrilling to see, JMD back writing some Spidey- specifically 90s Ben Reilly Spidey. It's just nice to see this time getting some love again. The whole era was like a forbidden thing to mention for many years, there was fun to be had in the clone saga sometimes! Cool seeing a Steve Skroce Spidey cover again, too. I like how the font is like the Peter Parker: Spider-Man logo but replacing that with Ben's name.

Mighty Member

This news is awesome. Marvel is really going all-in on Ben for at least a short time. I haven't been this excited for Spider-Man comics in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We have reached a Benaissance .
    Aaaand we have a name for this wonderful time to be alive. Thank you @Frontier. That was beautiful, truly beautiful.

Incredible Member

Getting a good writer like JMD is great in itself but he's also one that actually likes and understands the character. This will actually be his first time handling him as Spider-Man since he was off the books when Ben was given the role.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Getting a good writer like JMD is great in itself but he's also one that actually likes and understands the character. This will actually be his first time handling him as Spider-Man since he was off the books when Ben was given the role.
    Not quite. He wrote Spider-Ben in the ‘Redemption’ miniseries.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This announcement couldn't be more perfect. JMD returning to Spider-man and Ben. I am so excited!

As has already been said, hopefully this leads to a 'Symbiote Spider-man' situation of rolling miniseries.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    A brand new Series with Ben Reilly in his best Spidey suit and by one of the greatest Spider-Man writer ?

I’m in !

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Good. This should have been done ages ago.

Now, Marvel hear this: leave the man alone and let him write the damn thing.