Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Default Ben Reilly : Spider-Man (2022)

A brand new Series with Ben Reilly in his best Spidey suit and by one of the greatest Spider-Man writer ?

I’m in !

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status...5Es1_&ref_url=

Incredible Member

Welp! Looks like I’m gonna have to go to my LCS and update my pull box now for this book!!!!!!!!

Marvel, you do listen every once and a while.

Incredible Member

So it's an untold tales type of thing about his time as Spider-man the first go around? If that's the case I'd rather it be a mini series that will somehow tie back into the beyond run at some point.

EDIT: I just checked and found out that it is indeed a mini series which works out great for me. No problems whatsoever with purchasing this now.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 09-15-2021 at 09:44 AM.

We have reached a Benaissance .

Makes sense. They've been doing stories set when Peter had the black suit in Symbiote Spider-Man, and this is the same sort of thing, but based on the Clone Saga era.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Ben Reilly, the Spider-Man I grew up on alongside Peter Parker written by one of the best Spider-Man writers ever, JM DeMatteis means I'll be adding that to my pull list.

Mighty Member

This news is awesome. Marvel is really going all-in on Ben for at least a short time. I haven't been this excited for Spider-Man comics in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We have reached a Benaissance .
    Aaaand we have a name for this wonderful time to be alive. Thank you @Frontier. That was beautiful, truly beautiful.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    So it's an untold tales type of thing about his time as Spider-man the first go around? If that's the case I'd rather it be a mini series that will somehow tie back into the beyond run at some point.

EDIT: I just checked and found out that it is indeed a mini series which works out great for me. No problems whatsoever with purchasing this now.
    This makes you wonder if Marvel has bigger plans for Ben Reilly then simply being the “Substitute Teacher” for Peter?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    This makes you wonder if Marvel has bigger plans for Ben Reilly then simply being the “Substitute Teacher” for Peter?

The whole point of Beyond should be twofold to me

#1 It should serve as what the first run as Spider-man should've been. I don't care if you're a fan of Ben Reilly or not but it shouldn't be that hard to admit that his first time as Spider-man got ruined by editorial and sales department mismanagement so he deserves a 2nd go as Spider-man without being derailed by something.

#2 To flesh out the further the differences between him and Peter and set him up as a viable character with a distinct direction to be used going forward.

These two things shouldn't be that hard to accomplish if you ask me but we shall see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    The whole point of Beyond should be twofold to me

#1 It should serve as what the first run as Spider-man should've been. I don't care if you're a fan of Ben Reilly or not but it shouldn't be that hard to admit that his first time as Spider-man got ruined by editorial and sales department mismanagement so he deserves a 2nd go as Spider-man without being derailed by something.

#2 To flesh out the further the differences between him and Peter and set him up as a viable character with a distinct direction to be used going forward.

These two things shouldn't be that hard to accomplish if you ask me but we shall see.
    I happen to agree with you. The problem I have with Beyond is Ben having Peter’s supporting cast and villains. Felicia and Kraven do not need to be in a Ben comic. Ben needs his own people to deal with. I especially do not want to see Felicia. I have argued before that she should not even be in Amazing with Peter. Why? She ( like Ben) needs her own supporting cast and villains. Felicia even more so because she is not ending up with Peter a point made not once by twice ( Black Cat Strikes and Symboite) she loses to MJ. While I concede it is AU the point is she still lost. One obvious difference between Ben and MJ and I hope that when Peter leaves the book MJ goes with him. Why? The focus should be on Ben not on Peter’s supporting cast. The presence of MJ makes you think Peter NOT Ben.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    A brand new Series with Ben Reilly in his best Spidey suit and by one of the greatest Spider-Man writer ?

I’m in !

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Good. This should have been done ages ago.

Now, Marvel hear this: leave the man alone and let him write the damn thing.