Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So I mostly like the Janine backup, but why wasn’t Janine surprised that Ben was alive? Surely she must’ve heard about his death as the way Norman killed him in front of half the city was pretty public. And then he wouldn’t have visited her in prison all those years he was “dead” (and it seems like he’s never visited her period).

Incredible Member

I’ll be getting my copy tomorrow. I had my comic shop start pulling Amazing for me again starting with issue 65, but because of the backup, I’ll grab me a copy tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I’ll be getting my copy tomorrow. I had my comic shop start pulling Amazing for me again starting with issue 65, but because of the backup, I’ll grab me a copy tomorrow.
    This is issue 74, do you mean started pulling by 75?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This is issue 74, do you mean started pulling by 75?
    Correct. I typed 75 but I didn’t see my phone auto-change the number from 75 to 65 when I hit submit. My phone been doing that a lot lately.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Correct. I typed 75 but I didn’t see my phone auto-change the number from 75 to 65 when I hit submit. My phone been doing that a lot lately.
    All cool, I was just confirming.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Speaking of Janine… you guys might get a surprise today in the newest ASM issue (I mean a different surprise).
    When you said "a different surprise", I thought it was going to be something like "Janine is back but she has a terminal disease" (at this point I did know she was making an appearance). Glad she's fine (well, from what we can tell).

Feels odd that Ben seems to be the one who told Beyond this is his "price", so to say, but hey, these people actually DID THEIR HOMEWORK and bothered to use his supporting cast which I wouldn't have expected in a million years. So okay, you guys got me, I'll be following this with less trepidation than PADBen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    When you said "a different surprise", I thought it was going to be something like "Janine is back but she has a terminal disease" (at this point I did know she was making an appearance). Glad she's fine (well, from what we can tell).

Feels odd that Ben seems to be the one who told Beyond this is his "price", so to say, but hey, these people actually DID THEIR HOMEWORK and bothered to use his supporting cast which I wouldn't have expected in a million years. So okay, you guys got me, I'll be following this with less trepidation than PADBen.
    PAD: “Janine? Who’s Janine??”

I should resist piling on him for a series that ended 3 years ago, but I suspect PAD had no idea who she even was. Another reason the book should’ve been given to just about anyone else.

PAD: “Janine? Who’s Janine??”

I should resist piling on him for a series that ended 3 years ago, but I suspect PAD had no idea who she even was. Another reason the book should’ve been given to just about anyone else.
    I'll try to put a positive spin on it: I appreciated the depth of emotion I was made to feel in a few short pages -- something I would've loved to experience while reading PAD's series.

I've always really only had a single 'ship -- Ben and Firestar -- but I can't help but be excited for Ben and Janine to have a go of it. From a popularity standpoint, I've long believed that a comic's success depends on villains and supporting cast being developed effectively along with the protagonist. Hopefully the creative team continues to deliver on reintroducing some of the best characters from Ben's 90s era stories. Of all Ben's love interests, Janine may be the character with the most depth (thanks to JMD) -- although Jessica Carradine holds a special place as well for obvious reasons. (Maybe they can be Ben's version of MJ and Gwen / Betty and Veronica.)

Considering that Ben is working with Beyond, is it possible we could even see the return of SEWARD TRAINER?!

(Personally, I've wanted his return to unofficially and secretly begin the process of getting to the 2099 future.)

-Pav, who knows people want Joystick back more than like anyone else...
    Last edited by Pav; 09-29-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I'll try to put a positive spin on it: I appreciated the depth of emotion I was made to feel in a few short pages -- something I would've loved to experience while reading PAD's series.

I've always really only had a single 'ship -- Ben and Firestar -- but I can't help but be excited for Ben and Janine to have a go of it. From a popularity standpoint, I've long believed that a comic's success depends on villains and supporting cast being developed effectively along with the protagonist. Hopefully the creative team continues to deliver on reintroducing some of the best characters from Ben's 90s era stories. Of all Ben's love interests, Janine may be the character with the most depth (thanks to JMD) -- although Jessica Carradine holds a special place as well for obvious reasons. (Maybe they can be Ben's version of MJ and Gwen / Betty and Veronica.)

Considering that Ben is working with Beyond, is it possible we could even see the return of SEWARD TRAINER?!

(Personally, I've wanted his return to unofficially and secretly begin the process of getting to the 2099 future.)

-Pav, who knows people want Joystick back more than like anyone else...
    Is Ben and Firestar something happened in the New Warriors ?If so, heck yeah.Mutants are big rn, would mean he's more involved w/ what's happening in the MU.
    I remember one comic where Firestar kissed Peter(on the cheek) and MJ was jealous, and they had their TV series.

Astonishing Member

I hope Seward Trainer doesn’t return except in flashbacks. Too many characters return from the dead in comics… it was bad enough when it was just super powered beings, but now it’s extended to civilians.

As for love interests, I like Jessica, but I always had a soft spot for Desiree. I thought there was a lot more to her than the superficial surface level rich girl act.

You know things are bad when many are clamoring for this series that revisits Ben Reilly as Spidey in the 90s, I am also looking forward to this (how can you not with JMD at the helm?) but it's funny to think so long ago Marvel even mentioning Ben was a no-no but now it's like a lifeline- take us back to the good old days, the Clone Saga!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    You know things are bad when many are clamoring for this series that revisits Ben Reilly as Spidey in the 90s, I am also looking forward to this (how can you not with JMD at the helm?) but it's funny to think so long ago Marvel even mentioning Ben was a no-no but now it's like a lifeline- take us back to the good old days, the Clone Saga!
    It’s the cycle of nostalgia. In the mid-late 90s, all the old fan nostalgia was about Roger Stern’s run in the early 80s. Now the kids who grew up then are the old fans, and they’re nostalgic for what they began reading with. I’ve noticed two camps of old fans on this board; those nostalgic for Ben Reilly and other elements of the 90s, and those nostalgic for JMS’s run who started reading during that era. Then you have the more recent young fans who started reading during Slott and ‘Superior’ and they probably eye us wearily the same way we looked at the Stern fans when we were their age.

Extraordinary Member

It’s the cycle of nostalgia. In the mid-late 90s, all the old fan nostalgia was about Roger Stern’s run in the early 80s. Now the kids who grew up then are the old fans, and they’re nostalgic for what they began reading with. I’ve noticed two camps of old fans on this board; those nostalgic for Ben Reilly and other elements of the 90s, and those nostalgic for JMS’s run who started reading during that era. Then you have the more recent young fans who started reading during Slott and ‘Superior’ and they probably eye us wearily the same way we looked at the Stern fans when we were their age.
    Quoted for truth.
    Happens to us all at some point ig

I hope we're a few years away from the Spider-Girl nostalgia setting in too! Marvel really should be able to make that book a hit. The character had a passionate fanbase, myself included. I feel like with Marvel's wanting to put as many Spider-characters out there as possible the last decade why shouldn't they try and make Ben and Mayday things again? We've got a lot of Spider-characters out there Marvel tries to market but none of em are directly related to Peter the way May is- Marvel shouldn't be afraid of marketing a spider-daughter.

Ben's got a unique perspective to bring to the role as well and it's cool one of his best writer's is gonna get to do more with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    Happens to us all at some point ig
    Today in the immediate moment with the issue out today in mind, I hope in 20 years there isn't Kindred nostalgia and they don't decide to revisit that then too lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I hope we're a few years away from the Spider-Girl nostalgia setting in too! Marvel really should be able to make that book a hit. The character had a passionate fanbase, myself included. I feel like with Marvel's wanting to put as many Spider-characters out there as possible the last decade why shouldn't they try and make Ben and Mayday things again? We've got a lot of Spider-characters out there Marvel tries to market but none of em are directly related to Peter the way May is- Marvel shouldn't be afraid of marketing a spider-daughter.

Ben's got a unique perspective to bring to the role as well and it's cool one of his best writer's is gonna get to do more with him.

Today in the immediate moment with the issue out today in mind, I hope in 20 years there isn't Kindred nostalgia and they don't decide to revisit that then too lol.
    Ben, Mayday, Kaine and Miguel should be the secondary Spiders.Miles, Jessica, Anya, Gwen's are just made at the right time to be adapted, they are much worse comics wise.
    Ben should get like 10+ years of good comics presence as in solo runs w/ team ups, I just don't see him as a long term strong presence(like multiple decades) in that manner but they brought him back so make it stick for a decade, make Ben fans happy and then give him a proper send off.Kaine is the Red hood type, Miguel works as the future Spider-man+ time travel one.

Also Peter is now canonically the best superhero like thrice now, and he is the one who brings down mephisto in the present.And Mayday is canonically the one who brings him down in the future(we see future heroes dead in her panels).They are the best of the best, I really don't see Miles being the next big Spider because I don't see how he fits.Peter still has a solid decade to go in Marvel's timeline.W/ kids and then he may retire, it's probably more.Then you have Mayday and then Miguel.I guess they fit him in between Peter and May?But like, Mayday needs focus.Sorry for the rant.

Kindred was a plot device, and the run is a transition run for Pre-OMD fans.Peter MJ even though they barely started dating again behave like Pre-OMD, writers need to take this opportunity and make classic Peter stories.

Btw read the back up and Janine's cool.I like her, please don't kill her.Also does Ben not give a f*ck who sees his face, like Tom Holland kept his mask on more.