Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Today in the immediate moment with the issue out today in mind, I hope in 20 years there isn't Kindred nostalgia and they don't decide to revisit that then too lol.
    All I'll say to this is that I think Kindred works better as a villainous identity for Gabriel and Sarah than the Gray Goblin did. Low bar? You bet. Not saying I'd want to ever see them again (please Marvel, just let Sins Past die at this point, it's as fixed as it's getting after this), but if some crazy weird wanted to, I'd rather see them as Kindred than what we'd gotten before.

Astonishing Member

Today in the immediate moment with the issue out today in mind, I hope in 20 years there isn't Kindred nostalgia and they don't decide to revisit that then too lol.
    Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure the comics will still be around in 20 years. He may still be around in digital media, like movies and TV series. Hopefully I'm wrong, but mainstream comics have been dying a slow death since the late 90s.

Extraordinary Member

Also it would be cool to get a re-cap of all this from Peter to Ben.I want to see how Ben reacts to the craziness that takes place in Peter's life.
    And I also wonder how he reacts to the fact it's Peter who stops Mephisto, or Mayday in the future.And to the Cable and Miguel saying Peter is the best hero.Is he jealous, happy?Maybe both?
    Idk why but w/ all the Spider-man talk and knowing Ben has all his memories does Ben feel entitled to this, as in being the big deal.Having the spotlight, kinda meta as well.He is going far enough to hunt Miles for them, or maybe just talk it out w/ him to stop being Spider-man, is Janine the sole motivation here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure the comics will still be around in 20 years. He may still be around in digital media, like movies and TV series. Hopefully I'm wrong, but mainstream comics have been dying a slow death since the late 90s.
    Huh?Is it dying right now or just not as profitable.
    And once it happens at a pace they can't take they'll put better comics out like it happened before IIRC

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Huh?Is it dying right now or just not as profitable.
    And once it happens at a pace they can't take they'll put better comics out like it happened before IIRC
    The reader base for the comics are getting old and kids aren't replacing them enough to be sustainable long-term. Sales are waaaay down since their heyday (the sales a flagship title like ASM is doing now, is like what a third-tier book would be doing in the early 90s). That's why I said earlier that Quesada thinks recapturing the youth is his Holy Grail, but he's going about it with dumb gimmicks like OMD and de-aging Peter and doesn't understand that's not what the problem is (even when I was 10 years old, I had no problem with Peter being married). Kids are just more interested in digital media nowadays. So they'll still watch Spider-Man movies and cartoons, but I don't know if there is a way to revitalize comics for the youth-market. Comics used to be solely for kids, and now it seems like they're solely for adults.

The reader base for the comics are getting old and kids aren't replacing them enough to be sustainable long-term. Sales are waaaay down since their heyday (the sales a flagship title like ASM is doing now, is like what a third-tier book would be doing in the early 90s). That's why I said earlier that Quesada thinks recapturing the youth is his Holy Grail, but he's going about it with dumb gimmicks like OMD and de-aging Peter and doesn't understand that's not what the problem is (even when I was 10 years old, I had no problem with Peter being married). Kids are just more interested in digital media nowadays. So they'll still watch Spider-Man movies and cartoons, but I don't know if there is a way to revitalize comics for the youth-market. Comics used to be solely for kids, and now it seems like they're solely for adults.
    It's an interesting thing to ponder for sure, we're starting to see DC's publishing arm shrink big time and shift the way they publish a lot of titles. They're trying different things like teaming with popular current platforms (Webtoons), a lot of graphic novels for young adults and graphic novels for more niche adult audiences, and focusing their monthly output to fewer more concise titles where continuity isn't a big priority. Marvel feels further behind than DC to me because they feel no pressure being Disney, they have no worries and Disney sees the use for the publishing arm. I personally would like to see some positive growth for Marvel Comics as they have been resting on the laurels of movie success lately.

Extraordinary Member

It's an interesting thing to ponder for sure, we're starting to see DC's publishing arm shrink big time and shift the way they publish a lot of titles. They're trying different things like teaming with popular current platforms (Webtoons), a lot of graphic novels for young adults and graphic novels for more niche adult audiences, and focusing their monthly output to fewer more concise titles where continuity isn't a big priority. Marvel feels further behind than DC to me because they feel no pressure being Disney, they have no worries and Disney sees the use for the publishing arm. I personally would like to see some positive growth for Marvel Comics as they have been resting on the laurels of movie success lately.
    I'd say do comic dubs, that would make things much better for most.Popular VA's from movies, shows and videogames and not having to read them would be perfect for the casual audience.

Given recent news, I can't help but wonder if the Ditko Estate Lawsuit is why we are getting this story at this time? Hmmm, I guess we'll never know for sure but the timing is certainly interesting.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I'd recommend "Spider-Man: Redemption" and "Spider-Man: Lost Years", but everything about classic Ben (from exile to becoming Scarlet Spider to his death as Spider-Man) you can find in "Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic". Everything after that is crap ("Clone Conspiracy") and very mediocre ("Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider" it has few good issues but it's mostly bad, completely destroys Ben and makes him something like SpiderPool). He was fixed in "Spider-Geddon" and then appeared few times in Iron Man comics but it was nothing special. And there is "Test Drive" story released on FCBD where Ben tests his new Beyond suit.
    The ****'s Ben doing in Iron Man's comic of all places?

So I mostly like the Janine backup, but why wasn’t Janine surprised that Ben was alive? Surely she must’ve heard about his death as the way Norman killed him in front of half the city was pretty public. And then he wouldn’t have visited her in prison all those years he was “dead” (and it seems like he’s never visited her period).
    She looked dead inside while in prison, maybe she's so overwhelmed with happiness she's not even wondering how he's alive?

Of course, most likely answer is "Marvel didn't notice", but we'll see lol.

Kindred's nonsense was pretty meh, with the best thing about it being Sin Eater, I kinda hope there isn't a lot of nostalgia for that lol.

Btw read the back up and Janine's cool.I like her, please don't kill her.Also does Ben not give a f*ck who sees his face, like Tom Holland kept his mask on more.
    At least he took off his mask while swinging away this time, and maybe there aren't a lot of people near the prison lol.

But hey, who knows if he ever has a secret identity, or cares about keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Stark wanted to recruit people that are "tucked away", "hard to find" and "washed up". If I remember correctly the name of this arc is "The Books of Korvac". Finding Ben and others was ordered by Tony to some guy from street racings, Stark called him "closest thing to an underground" he has. Before that Ben was working as a night shift security for the Metropolian Museum of Art.
    Last edited by Reilly; 10-01-2021 at 12:15 PM.

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

She looked dead inside while in prison, maybe she's so overwhelmed with happiness she's not even wondering how he's alive?

Of course, most likely answer is "Marvel didn't notice", but we'll see lol.

Kindred's nonsense was pretty meh, with the best thing about it being Sin Eater, I kinda hope there isn't a lot of nostalgia for that lol.

At least he took off his mask while swinging away this time, and maybe there aren't a lot of people near the prison lol.

But hey, who knows if he ever has a secret identity, or cares about keeping it.
    The current Iron Man series chronologically is the one that is further back, so it is more than obvious that it is long before Beyond contacted Ben, and about the mask is not a big problem either, considering all the times Peter took off his mask in front of people, which were not few times and especially in Civil War when Peter revealed his identity to everyone, we all know how that ended.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    The current Iron Man series chronologically is the one that is further back, so it is more than obvious that it is long before Beyond contacted Ben, and about the mask is not a big problem either, considering all the times Peter took off his mask in front of people, which were not few times and especially in Civil War when Peter revealed his identity to everyone, we all know how that ended.
    Peter is very careful about his identity, more so the more he grew up.From what I've been told Ben is more lax about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Stark wanted to recruit people that are "tucked away", "hard to find" and "washed up". If I remember correctly the name of this arc is "The Books of Korvac". Finding Ben and others was ordered by Tony to some guy from street racings, Stark called him "closest thing to an underground" he has. Before that Ben was working as a night shift security for the Metropolian Museum of Art.
    I see, thanks.

Still kinda weird he ended up there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    The current Iron Man series chronologically is the one that is further back, so it is more than obvious that it is long before Beyond contacted Ben,
    Wasn't wondering if it was before or after the Beyond thing, was just confused Ben would end up in Iron Man's comic of all places lol.

and about the mask is not a big problem either, considering all the times Peter took off his mask in front of people, which were not few times and especially in Civil War when Peter revealed his identity to everyone, we all know how that ended.
    Peter just taking off his mask at random can look annoying, he's nowhere near as bad as Ultimate Peter, but we can still have something like the ASM#75 preview where he wall crawls without his suit lol.

Don't really find Ben's to be as dumb, there's the whole thing about him meeting Janine after so long, and neither him or Kaine seem to care as much about secret identity.

Peter is very careful about his identity, more so the more he grew up.From what I've been told Ben is more lax about it.
    Peter definitely got less careful with his identity over time, silver age Spidey in particular was so paranoid he once thought that if Sandman saw his face (ASM#4 vol 1), he'd be able to track down Peter very easily, and at times he does stuff that can make other people figure out he's Spidey 'cause of how careless he is now lol.

Astonishing Member

I’d agree with that take. Ben is more IDGAF about it, except with Jessica Carridine. Maybe because there’s less innocents he cares about who are associated with the “Ben Reilly” ID.

Extraordinary Member

I see, thanks.
    Peter just taking off his mask at random can look annoying, he's nowhere near as bad as Ultimate Peter, but we can still have something like the ASM#75 preview where he wall crawls without his suit lol.

Don't really find Ben's to be as dumb, there's the whole thing about him meeting Janine after so long, and neither him or Kaine seem to care as much about secret identity.

Peter definitely got less careful with his identity over time, silver age Spidey in particular was so paranoid he once thought that if Sandman saw his face (ASM#4 vol 1), he'd be able to track down Peter very easily, and at times he does stuff that can make other people figure out he's Spidey 'cause of how careless he is now lol.
    I’d agree with that take. Ben is more IDGAF about it, except with Jessica Carridine. Maybe because there’s less innocents he cares about who are associated with the “Ben Reilly” ID.
    He states no one looks there, and this is after the brutality that was Spencer's run.He also has Spider-sense that warns him of people looking at him, they stated this early on that he will sense of someone is looking at him for identity.He's very careful about his identity, when he's in character at least.

I agree here, but he took it off for Beyond people(or they just knew).And I hear he's much more lax about it.

That's OOC, pretty much a lot of BND was.In character his identity is as precious to him if not more than his life because of his family being in danger.

Yeah, nothing wrong w/ that.I get the logic.