Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to PS4. Can someone help with some questions?

Ok so my friend wants a PS5 and is fine with waiting awhile. So he is selling me his PS4 And I will have it at the end of the month.

But other then a Switch I have not dont any modern gaming, my most recent system was an Xbox 360. So I am not overly sure what are some good games and such out there.

I am getting from him God of War. I also plan on getting Spiderman Game of the Year Edition, Blood Bowl 2, Pathfinder and MLB the Show. Huge Baseball fan so I cant pass that up. I was thinking Avengers but I am not sure. I tried reading some of the posts in the Avengers thread but that is 63 freaken pages!

So here are some quick questions.

What are some good games, I dont mean must haves just some fun games. I mostly like RPG's (Tactical Mostly) but do enjoy good turn based RPG's.

Is Avengers worth it? I heard the story mode wasnt that deep but I dont really mind that much. I heard there was a Black Panther DLC, is there more then that? does that help the game?

I also really liked the Battlefront games on ps2. is the Battle front on PS4 any good? are the DLC multiplayer only?

I heard there was a subscription service for older games. is that worth it?

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-15-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Persona 5 is definetly a must have i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Persona 5 is definetly a must have i would say.
    I just looked this up. it looks really good. Is part 5 a whole new story? or will I be lost by not playing the others?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I just looked this up. it looks really good. Is part 5 a whole new story? or will I be lost by not playing the others?
    Oh don't worry, you don't need to have played to any previous Persona games. (3 & 4 are also awesome though if you can get your hands on them)

The second Battlefront has a short campaign mode based on TIE fighter aces who eventually defect to the rebellion shortly after Endor. It has I think some free DLC which takes place during the Sequel trilogy.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Games to get on PS4...

Persona 5 : Royal (Its expanded Persona 5 game with extra content)
    Trails of Cold Steel I-III
    Uncharted : Nathan Drake Collection
    Uncharted : Thiefs End
    Spider-Man

There is more I'm sure. I'll go through my list and post more.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Since you like tactical RPGs you should look into the Disgaea series. The first game with all the content of the other re-releases as Disgaea 1 complete.

Avengers has a fun a story. But I wouldn't pay much for it.

I'd sign up for PSNow, for 10bucks gets you access to a bunch of games. Including great games like Red dead Redemption 2, Avengers might be on there or it was for a minute.. God of War, the Batman Akrham games. Anyway you can look at there catalog on your Playstation before you decide to sign up or not. If you get it download the games don't stream them. Game play is much better.

Spider-Man is by far the better Marvel game than Avengers. Avengers has an interesting story and great voice acting (although the character aesthetics are pretty much kind of copied from the MCU), but the gameplay is kind of flat and repetitive (Granted, on the second point, a lot of gameplay in games in general can be repetitive, but it doesn't help that the game's enemies are basically waves and waves of robots, and 90% of the settings are pretty much just AIM labs). I haven't played the DLC yet though.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There area ton of good action type games if you want to give them a try.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Uncharted: Thief's End and Lost Legacy
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Last of Us Remastered
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
    Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
    Immortals: Fenyx Rising
    Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
    Farcry 3-5
    Assassin's Creed: Unity, Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla (your millage may vary on the series game to game)
    Final Fantasy VII Remake (part1)
    The Outer Worlds
    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
    Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
    Tales of Berseria
    Final Fantasy XV

Thanks for all the help friends A lot of great games to loom at. And the PS now looks like a great feature as well.

Regarding the AC entries the last three are sort of a prequel trilogy to the older games in a sense and also feature a new protagonist, and are more oriented around being action RPGs while Unity and Syndicate both sort of have a modern day plotline that ultimately was resolved in a comic series.

Unity in particular has some of the best crowds and lighting effects in the series but it's a bit buggy. Syndicate is a bit more scaled down from that but has characters that are a lot more fun. (Unity is revolutionary France, Syndicate is Victorian/Industrial era London)

Origins is Ancient Egpyt (Cleopatra era so there's plenty of Roman stuff too) Odyssey takes place prior but connects to Origins in a few ways (especially the DLC) and set in Ancient Greece, and Valhalla is set in pretty much Dark Ages Western Europe.

Bloodborne, Sekiro, Dad Of Boy (God Of War). More action RPGs than RPGs, but awesome.

Oh yeah, and Horizon: Zero Dawn is like Witcher 3 with much better combat and less level gating.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-16-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Regarding subscriptions, there's actually two separate things:
    - PS Now - as mentioned, this is a subscription that gives you access to "older" games through streaming. You need to have a good internet connection to stream games but it works really well from my experience
    - PS Plus - subscription that gives you access to playing online (without it you can't play online) and 2 or 3 free games per month. The monthly free games are a bit hit or miss but I think generally speaking it's worth it. On this link (scroll down) you have a list of all the free PS Plus games that have come out, by year/ month, so you can have an idea - https://www.finder.com.au/playstation-plus-free-games

Thanks again to everyone who helped answer my questions.

I am going to get Pathfinder and Spiderman GOT Edition first. To go along with God of War and Lego Avengers that is a fun start.

There are a ton of other games that have been suggested here that I have looked at and am excited about.

Thanks to Midvillian and Hyped for telling me about the subscriptions. I am going to pass on PS Plus as I do not play online with other people. But I am for sure looking heavy at PS Now.

I am hoping to see my friend and get this all set up next weekend.