Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's a good fight for... (Malignant major Spoilers)

As mentioned the following are spoilers for the recent movie Malignant.

Anyways, the character in question is Gabriel, a parasitic(?) twin that is just a face that is somehow able to retract into and expand out of the back of the skull of the protagonist, who is otherwise unaware about what the hell is going on. Gabriel/The protagonist's body have some above average stats which don't logically even just allowing for the concept that someone can survive in that form.

See below for some (gory) fight scenes that also are really brief/cut off to get around copyright I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYckOtAHRio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWY5wUH7vAA

And also this meme-worthy scene

He also at one point kicks through (with some effort/a few strikes) a brick wall to make a hole large enough to crawl through. Obviously in addition to just being strong/fast the character moves like something that is not exactly a normal body lol

In addition to the above clips Gabriel also has the ability to drain electricity somehow. He demonstrates it throughout the movie by doing things like killing lights, both specific and at times across an entire room/corridor iirc, as well as at one point shorting out someone's pacemaker.

In terms of durability, the character ostensibly has basically no feats I think, except for one case where he gets shot and runs, but is fine/healed a few hours later (and isn't appreciably debilitated from it, more acting out of self-preservation I think). Otherwise the character has just normal human durability.

It's because of that and the fact that technically he's never had an equal one on one fight have hard time gauging what would be a good fight for him lol

What do y'all think?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

This guy have any good speed feats? What's the best strength feat (other than the chair, which...I mean, it's a good throw, but there are a load of real-world people who could throw that chair that far).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    This guy have any good speed feats? What's the best strength feat (other than the chair, which...I mean, it's a good throw, but there are a load of real-world people who could throw that chair that far).
    More agility than outright speed (he stalked a couple people by sticking himself up a wall corner like a slasher Spider-Man). It's worth noting he was able to full body throw/kill adults and casually give them open fractures when just a kid. The chair scene was funny but take it with a grain of salt because the main characters were pretty PIS-shielded to not die in order to advance the plot.

Now something I thought was a decent feat was him pushing a horse carriage (one of those that has space for like 4 people inside) hard enough so the detective had to jump out of its way for safety. I assume Gabriel did it casually since right after he jumped on top of it in order to hide and ambush the detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    More agility than outright speed (he stalked a couple people by sticking himself up a wall corner like a slasher Spider-Man). It's worth noting he was able to full body throw/kill adults and casually give them open fractures when just a kid. The chair scene was funny but take it with a grain of salt because the main characters were pretty PIS-shielded to not die in order to advance the plot.

Now something I thought was a decent feat was him pushing a horse carriage (one of those that has space for like 4 people inside) hard enough so the detective had to jump out of its way for safety. I assume Gabriel did it casually since right after he jumped on top of it in order to hide and ambush the detective.
    Thanks - this is a good start.

Okay, I figure some of the characters from High and Low could give him a good fight. The top-end group is likely a bit much, but maybe the gang-leaders are in a better range. They're not as agile, but are stupidly (superhumanly) tough, hit hard, and have plenty of experience and skill at fighting.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    In terms of durability, the character ostensibly has basically no feats I think, except for one case where he gets shot and runs, but is fine/healed a few hours later (and isn't appreciably debilitated from it, more acting out of self-preservation I think). Otherwise the character has just normal human durability.
    I don't remember Gabriel getting shot before the hospital scene right at the end... now that showed decent soaking because despite having a torso gunshot wound and using Gabriel's powers for the first time, Madison was able to lift a heavy hospital bed up from her sister's body in order to save her.

But the whole "Gabriel face going back into her skull with the entire bleeding wound closing immediately" shows superhuman healing could be in the cards.

I don't remember Gabriel getting shot before the hospital scene right at the end... now that showed decent soaking because despite having a torso gunshot wound and using Gabriel's powers for the first time, Madison was able to lift a heavy hospital bed up from her sister's body in order to save her.

But the whole "Gabriel face going back into her skull with the entire bleeding wound closing immediately" shows superhuman healing could be in the cards.
    I thought he got shot a bit in his fight with the detective (which otherwise was a weirdly low-end showing for him considering he massacres a police department later on) but that was just what I recall so I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    In addition to what Wildling mentioned within the fights I linked he's also straight up punching through people and snapping limbs so their bones show through their skin pretty easily. And as I said he also kicks a hole through a brick wall at one point
    Last edited by Postmania; 09-16-2021 at 11:43 AM.
    -Stephen McCranie

In addition to what Wildling mentioned within the fights I linked he's also straight up punching through people and snapping limbs so their bones show through their skin pretty easily. And as I said he also kicks a hole through a brick wall at one point
    Okay, that's a little more. The H&L group doesn't punch through people. But the bone-snapping stuff would be cake-and-pie for any of the top ones. Same with kicking holes through brick walls, really.

So, let's skip the 'gang leaders' and move up to the three top characters in H&L.

I would say that anyone who can easily, casually, out-muscle people who bend iron pipes 90 degrees with forearm strikes, who can out-muscle someone who can Captain-America kick the front end of a car and make it spin 30 degrees or so and knock over three or four people, can match or exceed that strength. So I figure the top three in H&L would be a good match for this character, especially if they don't have any real speedfeats. Two of the top ones - who are slightly less strong and tough than the guy I'm talking about, but at least in the ballpark - have some pretty hefty speed feats to boot.

And even the strongest guy does stuff like 'run up the inside of a falling van - when the van is near-vertical in its fall - and leap out to grab the railing of a bridge that's easily 10'+ above him when he starts his leap'.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member

I thought he got shot a bit in his fight with the detective (which otherwise was a weirdly low-end showing for him considering he massacres a police department later on) but that was just what I recall so I might be wrong.
    I thought Shaw missed every shot, Gabriel was good at just getting out of people's aim.

And that's what I meant above about the main/recurring characters being shielded from him. Regina only received a glancing belly slash from Gabriel when everybody else was having their arms cut off clean in one swipe or getting stabbed through the entire head/torso. Her guts should have spilled to the floor.

The scene where Gabriel "awakens" in the cell seemed like he could bend/mend Madison's bones at will. For that matter Gabriel's body (except the face/brain) was entirely cut apart and discarded in the first place and he survived that.

BANNED

Gonna go with Raizo from Ninja Assassin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Cool pick for a bloody, hijacked body fight. But I wonder if Gabriel could mess up with STEM directly or if STEM could be too small/advanced for his powers to work. Gabriel's powers included continuous electroshocks as a kid allowing him to absorb electricity until he stopped being hurt by them, which implied that was the reason he could then take over machines subtly (taking over toy phones, cellphones, TV sets, radios and speakers to speak through them) or spectacularly, by blowing up a guy's peacemaker out of his chest or the cops evidence vault security lock, just by willing it.

Having rewatched Malignant I'm positive Gabriel doesn't just have a soaking damage on par with a slasher horror villain with a much bigger body count than fighting chops, but actual superhuman healing. Just the part already mentioned about Gabriel kicking a brick wall apart after jumping down an apartment complex (which had a young detective panting just to catch up) would have had Madison, his host body, aching for weeks in bed at best, but she spoke to the same detectives like nothing happened soon after. Then by the time we find out the truth it turns out that in order for Gabriel to commit his murders (4 before the gigantic body count third act), he had to split Madison's skull and scalp apart, then close it again like nothing happened, with minimum bleeding. That happened off-screen most of the time except in the climax when she see her close her scalp like in seconds, Wolverine style. And moments before that, we saw Gabriel/Madison take 2 gunshots dead center and then they both acted like nothing happened.

And moments before that, we saw Gabriel/Madison take 2 gunshots dead center and then they both acted like nothing happened.
    Ah so he did get shot.
    -Stephen McCranie

Astonishing Member

Ah so he did get shot.
    Yep. Two times, when the hero detective actually had the full opening. But Gabriel's reaction to it, after incapacitating him with a knife throw hard enough to throw him backwards and finally keep him out the whole movie, was mocking Lindsey when she retrieved his weapon, about how the only thing she could do next was to keep shooting Madison's body which would at best kill her too. Then when she couldn't do it he threw the heavy hospital bed (like the one that maimed the serial killer's hand in the Denzel Washington's The Bone Collector movie) on her like nothing happened. Then for the happy ending Madison took over Gabriel mentally and despite still having a shot body from moments ago, she lifted the bed out of her sister and they hugged like it was a Disney movie ending.

I loved all of it really.

The Beast from Split.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Incredible Member

Yep. Two times, when the hero detective actually had the full opening. But Gabriel's reaction to it, after incapacitating him with a knife throw hard enough to throw him backwards and finally keep him out the whole movie, was mocking Lindsey when she retrieved his weapon, about how the only thing she could do next was to keep shooting Madison's body which would at best kill her too. Then when she couldn't do it he threw the heavy hospital bed (like the one that maimed the serial killer's hand in the Denzel Washington's The Bone Collector movie) on her like nothing happened. Then for the happy ending Madison took over Gabriel mentally and despite still having a shot body from moments ago, she lifted the bed out of her sister and they hugged like it was a Disney movie ending.

I loved all of it really.
    I was expecting it to end with Madison committing suicide to stop Gabriel. It was unexpected, to say the least.