Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075

    Default What storyline or issue did Peter first get a severe asskicking?

    I was talking about this in another thread with someone who was lamenting how many times Peter had been beaten up in Spencer’s run, and now he’s expected to get thrashed again during ‘Beyond.’ It seems like a long time since Peter getting beaten within an inch of his life was the exception rather than the rule. I was trying to remember the first epic beatdown Peter endured. Probably the most memorable one is Morlun during JMS’s first arc on ASM, but before that he was beaten by Black Tarantula, Venom and the Ben Reilly Spider-Man was pulped by Norman Osborn at the end of the Clone Saga. The earliest beatdown I remember is Doctor Doom giving him a concussion in ASM #349-350, but I’m sure he was beaten badly by Venom in one of his first appearances too and I remember he was given a cybernetic makeover to recover from some injuries in ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’. So I’m wondering if anyone can track an earlier severe beatdown than these early 90s occurrences? And when I say “beatdown” I’m thinking of something more extreme than just him retreating in defeat like he did in some early Lee/Ditko issues like when he first fought Doc Ock in ASM#3.

  2. #2
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,179

    Default

    Wasn’t there an early issue of ASM where Peter fought Doc Ock when he was sick, got his ass whooped than unmasked?

    Or was that USM?
    Last edited by Arsenal; 09-16-2021 at 07:22 AM.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1.) #12 I believe. The same storyline Betty Brant’s brother was killed. Does that count as a severe asskicking? Hmmn… I’ll have to reread.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Wasn’t there an early issue of ASM where Peter fought Doc Ock when he was sick, got his ass whooped than unmasked?

    Or was that USM?
    Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1.) #12 I believe. The same storyline Betty Brant’s brother was killed. Does that count as a severe asskicking? Hmmn… I’ll have to reread.
    LOL! Here's the page in question! You be the judge...

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    9,092

    Default

    It depends on what we mean by a "severe a--kicking"?

    Like are we talking about Spider-Man hospitalized or infirm or made into a bloody mess?

    Doctor Octopus beat up Spider-Man in the Lee-Ditko stories though eventually Spider-Man turned the tables and defeated Octopus. And he wasn't exactly decommissioned by those fights in any significant way.

    I think Marv Wolfman did a Kingpin story (of a kind you can't do anymore post-Back in Black) with Fisk beating up Spider-Man only to be talked out of it by Vanessa...but Wolfman didn't seem to believe that Spider-Man had super-strength to start with.

    The Spider-Man v. Doctor Doom fight in 349-350 was probably the most severe beating Spider-Man had in comics until then but there might also be some Venom issues where things didn't go so well for him.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me at:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! Here's the page in question! You be the judge...
    Hmmn, I donít know. He is unconscious, but heís not battle-damaged or bloody (I guess they couldnít get away with that with the 1960s version of the CCA). Iíll put it down as a ďmaybeĒ, but I guess Iím really looking for the first battle-damaged/pulped Peter on the verge of death.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It depends on what we mean by a "severe a--kicking"?

    Like are we talking about Spider-Man hospitalized or infirm or made into a bloody mess?

    Doctor Octopus beat up Spider-Man in the Lee-Ditko stories though eventually Spider-Man turned the tables and defeated Octopus. And he wasn't exactly decommissioned by those fights in any significant way.

    I think Marv Wolfman did a Kingpin story (of a kind you can't do anymore post-Back in Black) with Fisk beating up Spider-Man only to be talked out of it by Vanessa...but Wolfman didn't seem to believe that Spider-Man had super-strength to start with.

    The Spider-Man v. Doctor Doom fight in 349-350 was probably the most severe beating Spider-Man had in comics until then but there might also be some Venom issues where things didn't go so well for him.
    Bloody mess, really. Yeah, the Doctor Doom one is the one that sticks out for me. I know he also got his arm broken in that ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’ storyline. Then both Peter and Ben got thrashed a number of times in the 90s to early 2000s, in ‘Blood Brothers’, ‘Revelations’, when Peter met Black Tarantula, most infamously with Morlun in ‘Coming Home’, then another severe beatdown in the Marvel Knights miniseries. After that, it became so commonplace it lost its impact. I liked it better when it was a somewhat rare event, more meaningful.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Hmmn, I don’t know. He is unconscious, but he’s not battle-damaged or bloody (I guess they couldn’t get away with that with the 1960s version of the CCA). I’ll put it down as a “maybe”, but I guess I’m really looking for the first battle-damaged/pulped Peter on the verge of death.
    Oh, in that case. How about when the Lizard beat him so bad, it made Spidey want to sleep in trash.


  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Yes, good find. That’s probably the earliest one so far. How bad did Venom beat up Peter in ASM#300? That would predate it, but I don’t have my copy handy.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yes, good find. That’s probably the earliest one so far. How bad did Venom beat up Peter in ASM#300? That would predate it, but I don’t have my copy handy.
    ASM #300 is here! Judge for yourself...

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    [QUOTE=HypnoHustler;5733316]I was talking about this in another thread with someone who was lamenting how many times Peter had been beaten up in Spencer’s run, and now he’s expected to get thrashed again during ‘Beyond.’ It seems like a long time since Peter getting beaten within an inch of his life was the exception rather than the rule. I was trying to remember the first epic beatdown Peter endured. Probably the most memorable one is Morlun during JMS’s first arc on ASM, but before that he was beaten by Black Tarantula, Venom and the Ben Reilly Spider-Man was pulped by Norman Osborn at the end of the Clone Saga. The earliest beatdown I remember is Doctor Doom giving him a concussion in ASM #349-350, but I’m sure he was beaten badly by Venom in one of his first appearances too and I remember he was given a cybernetic makeover to recover from some injuries in ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’. So I’m wondering if anyone can track an earlier severe beatdown than these early 90s occurrences? And when I say “beatdown” I’m thinking of something more extreme than just him retreating in defeat like he did in some early Lee/Ditko issues like when he first fought Doc Ock in ASM#3.[/QUOTE
    I remember one where he fought Silver Surfer in the Surfer’s book, he had no chance) In a Peter book, I am not sure it was first but I remember Rhino putting him in the hospital. If anyone remembers the issue please remind me.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-16-2021 at 10:02 AM.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    4,788

    Default

    I would say it depends on how you define severe.Like Morlun, Kindred, Sinster war severe is a level we haven't seen much of in the earlier days.Even Venom seems like a joy ride when compared to those.

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,055

    Default

    He was pretty beat up in Amazing Spider-Man #20.





    Amazing Spider-Man #229-230 are probably the definitive asskicking.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    9,092

    Default

    This reminds me of this action figure that came out when Spider-Man 1 hit the theaters.

    It's called "Battle-Damaged Spider-Man".

    It's Spider-Man after he got beaten up in the final battle of SM-1 with Green Goblin with his suit and body shredded up.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me at:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    4,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This reminds me of this action figure that came out when Spider-Man 1 hit the theaters.

    It's called "Battle-Damaged Spider-Man".

    It's Spider-Man after he got beaten up in the final battle of SM-1 with Green Goblin with his suit and body shredded up.

    That Goblin fight was brutal, wish we see something of that level in MCU, not just Spider-man but any character.Tony vs Thanos came close to that level of brutal but nothing else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •