Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What storyline or issue did Peter first get a severe asskicking?

I was talking about this in another thread with someone who was lamenting how many times Peter had been beaten up in Spencer’s run, and now he’s expected to get thrashed again during ‘Beyond.’ It seems like a long time since Peter getting beaten within an inch of his life was the exception rather than the rule. I was trying to remember the first epic beatdown Peter endured. Probably the most memorable one is Morlun during JMS’s first arc on ASM, but before that he was beaten by Black Tarantula, Venom and the Ben Reilly Spider-Man was pulped by Norman Osborn at the end of the Clone Saga. The earliest beatdown I remember is Doctor Doom giving him a concussion in ASM #349-350, but I’m sure he was beaten badly by Venom in one of his first appearances too and I remember he was given a cybernetic makeover to recover from some injuries in ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’. So I’m wondering if anyone can track an earlier severe beatdown than these early 90s occurrences? And when I say “beatdown” I’m thinking of something more extreme than just him retreating in defeat like he did in some early Lee/Ditko issues like when he first fought Doc Ock in ASM#3.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Wasn’t there an early issue of ASM where Peter fought Doc Ock when he was sick, got his ass whooped than unmasked?

Or was that USM?
    Last edited by Arsenal; 09-16-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1.) #12 I believe. The same storyline Betty Brant’s brother was killed. Does that count as a severe asskicking? Hmmn… I’ll have to reread.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Wasn’t there an early issue of ASM where Peter fought Doc Ock when he was sick, got his ass whooped than unmasked?

Or was that USM?
    Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1.) #12 I believe. The same storyline Betty Brant’s brother was killed. Does that count as a severe asskicking? Hmmn… I’ll have to reread.
    LOL! Here's the page in question! You be the judge...

BANNED

It depends on what we mean by a "severe a--kicking"?

Like are we talking about Spider-Man hospitalized or infirm or made into a bloody mess?

Doctor Octopus beat up Spider-Man in the Lee-Ditko stories though eventually Spider-Man turned the tables and defeated Octopus. And he wasn't exactly decommissioned by those fights in any significant way.

I think Marv Wolfman did a Kingpin story (of a kind you can't do anymore post-Back in Black) with Fisk beating up Spider-Man only to be talked out of it by Vanessa...but Wolfman didn't seem to believe that Spider-Man had super-strength to start with.

The Spider-Man v. Doctor Doom fight in 349-350 was probably the most severe beating Spider-Man had in comics until then but there might also be some Venom issues where things didn't go so well for him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! Here's the page in question! You be the judge...
    Hmmn, I don’t know. He is unconscious, but he’s not battle-damaged or bloody (I guess they couldn’t get away with that with the 1960s version of the CCA). I’ll put it down as a “maybe”, but I guess I’m really looking for the first battle-damaged/pulped Peter on the verge of death.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It depends on what we mean by a "severe a--kicking"?

Like are we talking about Spider-Man hospitalized or infirm or made into a bloody mess?

Doctor Octopus beat up Spider-Man in the Lee-Ditko stories though eventually Spider-Man turned the tables and defeated Octopus. And he wasn't exactly decommissioned by those fights in any significant way.

I think Marv Wolfman did a Kingpin story (of a kind you can't do anymore post-Back in Black) with Fisk beating up Spider-Man only to be talked out of it by Vanessa...but Wolfman didn't seem to believe that Spider-Man had super-strength to start with.

The Spider-Man v. Doctor Doom fight in 349-350 was probably the most severe beating Spider-Man had in comics until then but there might also be some Venom issues where things didn't go so well for him.
    Bloody mess, really. Yeah, the Doctor Doom one is the one that sticks out for me. I know he also got his arm broken in that ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’ storyline. Then both Peter and Ben got thrashed a number of times in the 90s to early 2000s, in ‘Blood Brothers’, ‘Revelations’, when Peter met Black Tarantula, most infamously with Morlun in ‘Coming Home’, then another severe beatdown in the Marvel Knights miniseries. After that, it became so commonplace it lost its impact. I liked it better when it was a somewhat rare event, more meaningful.

Hmmn, I don’t know. He is unconscious, but he’s not battle-damaged or bloody (I guess they couldn’t get away with that with the 1960s version of the CCA). I’ll put it down as a “maybe”, but I guess I’m really looking for the first battle-damaged/pulped Peter on the verge of death.
    Oh, in that case... How about when the Lizard beat him so bad, it made Spidey want to sleep in trash

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-06-2023 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Yes, good find. That’s probably the earliest one so far. How bad did Venom beat up Peter in ASM#300? That would predate it, but I don’t have my copy handy.

Yes, good find. That’s probably the earliest one so far. How bad did Venom beat up Peter in ASM#300? That would predate it, but I don’t have my copy handy.
    ASM #300 is here! Judge for yourself...

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=HypnoHustler;5733316]I was talking about this in another thread with someone who was lamenting how many times Peter had been beaten up in Spencer’s run, and now he’s expected to get thrashed again during ‘Beyond.’ It seems like a long time since Peter getting beaten within an inch of his life was the exception rather than the rule. I was trying to remember the first epic beatdown Peter endured. Probably the most memorable one is Morlun during JMS’s first arc on ASM, but before that he was beaten by Black Tarantula, Venom and the Ben Reilly Spider-Man was pulped by Norman Osborn at the end of the Clone Saga. The earliest beatdown I remember is Doctor Doom giving him a concussion in ASM #349-350, but I’m sure he was beaten badly by Venom in one of his first appearances too and I remember he was given a cybernetic makeover to recover from some injuries in ‘Revenge of the Sinister Six’. So I’m wondering if anyone can track an earlier severe beatdown than these early 90s occurrences? And when I say “beatdown” I’m thinking of something more extreme than just him retreating in defeat like he did in some early Lee/Ditko issues like when he first fought Doc Ock in ASM#3.[/QUOTE
    I remember one where he fought Silver Surfer in the Surfer’s book, he had no chance) In a Peter book, I am not sure it was first but I remember Rhino putting him in the hospital. If anyone remembers the issue please remind me.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-16-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I would say it depends on how you define severe.Like Morlun, Kindred, Sinster war severe is a level we haven't seen much of in the earlier days.Even Venom seems like a joy ride when compared to those.

He was pretty beat up in Amazing Spider-Man #20.

Amazing Spider-Man #229-230 are probably the definitive asskicking.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

This reminds me of this action figure that came out when Spider-Man 1 hit the theaters.

It's called "Battle-Damaged Spider-Man".

It's Spider-Man after he got beaten up in the final battle of SM-1 with Green Goblin with his suit and body shredded up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This reminds me of this action figure that came out when Spider-Man 1 hit the theaters.

It's called "Battle-Damaged Spider-Man".

It's Spider-Man after he got beaten up in the final battle of SM-1 with Green Goblin with his suit and body shredded up.

That Goblin fight was brutal, wish we see something of that level in MCU, not just Spider-man but any character.Tony vs Thanos came close to that level of brutal but nothing else.