Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Speaking of Spain, does hispanic heritage month include spaniards? since they are not anglo Sanxon and some can get a tan, I get your guys are also POC in the eyes of gringos. In wich case Empath, Lourdes Chantel, Fabian and Ann Marie Cortez also count. Are there any portuguese mutant?
    Well, we are hispanics, althought spanish culture is just a fraction of what hispanic culture is. We have a history fraught with invasions, so spaniards have always been more diverse than, say, english people. That means that usually Northern europeans do not really see us as white, and for North Americans it goes on a personal basis. Darker spaniards are considered POC and lighter spaniards are not. It is kind of weird. Most spaniards will tell you that we are white, but we actually have a slur for white people (guiri.) The latinx thing... we used to be, but as the term is understood now, we are not. A lot of spanish artists are seen as "latin" in the USA, and to me it feels... weird. Like stealing an identity that does not belong to you.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Is it official that goldballs is Mexican American
    I think is not confirmed. He is American, from San Diego. He has a typical hispanic name and surname, but it's not stated from what country his family came from, as far as I can remember.

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Not at all, he just has an "hispanic name" and that is enough for gringos to consider him "latino"

Same with Prodigy who was born in Chicago but apparently he is latino to them because ...?
    A lot of latin characters don't have a country of origin like Feral and Thornn and in this case Goldballs. Marvel has even verified that Egg is latino, he is a brown character with a latin surname. I remember prodigy being mentioned to be Puerto Rican, his last name is Alleyne.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    A lot of latin characters don't have a country of origin like Feral and Thornn and in this case Goldballs. Marvel has even verified that Egg is latino, he is a brown character with a latin surname. I remember prodigy being mentioned to be Puerto Rican, his last name is Alleyne.
    Does anybody know which issue establishes Prodigy as Puerto Rican? He always read African-American to me because of his surname, but he could be half and half like Miles. I always headcanon Feral and Thornn as Dominican.

carmen cota.JPG

Vita Ayala recently introduced this new mutant character, Carmen Cruz, who seems to be from a latin american family too. She has a typical hispanic name and surname, and her parents talked in spanish, although is not mentioned from what country they are. I wonder if Vita is going to add her to the New Mutants book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Well, we are hispanics, althought spanish culture is just a fraction of what hispanic culture is. We have a history fraught with invasions, so spaniards have always been more diverse than, say, english people. That means that usually Northern europeans do not really see us as white, and for North Americans it goes on a personal basis. Darker spaniards are considered POC and lighter spaniards are not. It is kind of weird. Most spaniards will tell you that we are white, but we actually have a slur for white people (guiri.) The latinx thing... we used to be, but as the term is understood now, we are not. A lot of spanish artists are seen as "latin" in the USA, and to me it feels... weird. Like stealing an identity that does not belong to you.
    The POC designation is BS and groups together groups thar have nothing in common. Spaniards have way more in common with other Europeans than they do Asian or Africans. Native Spaniards are Caucasian with little non Caucasian in them via genetic analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The POC designation is BS and groups together groups thar have nothing in common. Spaniards have way more in common with other Europeans than they do Asian or Africans. Native Spaniards are Caucasian with little non Caucasian in them via genetic analysis.
    There is not such a thing in genetics as "caucasian".

This is an X books forum. This is a great thread but let’s keep it related to the X books please.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    carmen cota.JPG

Vita Ayala recently introduced this new mutant character, Carmen Cruz, who seems to be from a latin american family too. She has a typical hispanic name and surname, and her parents talked in spanish, although is not mentioned from what country they are. I wonder if Vita is going to add her to the New Mutants book.
    Yup, and her family even used spanish words that made sense in context! Weirdly not as easy as it sounds lol.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

This is not an X-side character but I also liked Firebird

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Maybe I need to read New Mutants vol. 2 again cause I did not remember David being Afro-Latino. But hey the more you know
    He's not tho....they may be confusing him with Darwin
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Yup, and her family even used spanish words that made sense in context! Weirdly not as easy as it sounds lol.
    yes it's not easy as it sounds hahah there's history in comics

like when the Children of the Vault used to say random spanish words without context lmao

mateles1.JPG
    Last edited by Starchilde; 09-18-2021 at 06:14 AM.

I had forgotten about Sangre and the COTV and yes the best part of Vitaīs COTA is Carmen and her family talking in spanish that makes sense.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I had forgotten about Sangre and the COTV and yes the best part of Vitaīs COTA is Carmen and her family talking in spanish that makes sense.
    Curious stuff is that according to the Supernova's story, the Children of the Vault were born/created(?) in a chilean ship in international waters, so I consider them chilean lmao my fellow countrymen. And now they live in Ecuador so they have double-nationality haha. Andean South American representation

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Curious stuff is that according to the Supernova's story, the Children of the Vault were born/created(?) in a chilean ship in international waters, so I consider them chilean lmao my fellow countrymen. And now they live in Ecuador so they have double-nationality haha. Andean South American representation
    Yes the moment they confirmed this I was like Oh so they are Chilean and now they are on their own dimension or it seemed that way, I also liked how in Careyīs run they were able to build their own citadel using their own powers, hope they come back soon, Serafina is my favorite from the group and yes South American Andean representation for the win
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-18-2021 at 08:13 AM.