Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Wait, which episode confirmed that Magma is Brazilian? Genuine question, I honestly don't remember. Magma episodes were so rare.
    You are right she is not brazilian in Evolution either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    You are right she is not brazilian in Evolution either.
    She should be Brazilian. A female character from the Amazon who is all blonde? That's similar to making Betsy Asian and pushing her as Psylocke.

They should retcon her and make her look like someone who is actually from the Amazon, dark skinned. Blond Magma= boring and redundant!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    She should be Brazilian. A female character from the Amazon who is all blonde? That's similar to making Betsy Asian and pushing her as Psylocke.

They should retcon her and make her look like someone who is actually from the Amazon, dark skinned. Blond Magma= boring and redundant!
    She can be blonde and brazilian, the problem is not her complexion, the probles is that they make her descendants of a secret society created by Selene that has nothing to do with Brazil or any Amazonian tribe.

That is why I hate Nova Roma, Costa Perdita, Terra Verde, Carmellia, Sokovia and all thos fake countries that robe us from real representation.
    Last edited by Milici; 09-16-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Mighty Member

She can be blonde and brazilian, the problem is not her complexion, the probles is that they make her descendants of a secret society created by Selene that has nothing to do with Brazil or any Amazonian tribe.
    The problem is her complexion. Blonde Brazilians from the Amazon don't look like they are from Sweden. Magma is strictly all white. Magma as she exists has no business being Brazilian (especially from there Amazon, a region with little European influence). Does she even speak Brazilian Portuguese? A blonde Brazilian from the Amazon would never look like her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    The problem is her complexion. Blonde Brazilians from the Amazon don't look like they are from Sweden. Magma is strictly all white. Magma as she exists has no business being Brazilian (especially from there Amazon, a region with little European influence). Does she even speak Brazilian Portuguese? A blonde Brazilian from the Amazon would never look like her.
    There are blonde brazilian, if she were "brown" like the X-Men Evolution Magma, she still would be fake brazilian because she is from Nova Roma not Brazil.

Astonishing Member

This Magma discussion is moot since Nova Romans are Latinx.

Astonishing Member

But to stay on topic, pre X-Force Sunspot was a favorite character of mine because his design looked so cool.

Rictor too but I've yet to like a costume they've given him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Rictor too but I've yet to like a costume they've given him.
    Rictor's terrible fashion is the most consistent aspect of his character, I like his current look tho, is his best by far.

children of the vault1.jpg

Not exactly mutants, but I love these futuristic weird villains that are actually South American and speak Spanish (very bad Spanish but funny).
    Last edited by Starchilde; 09-16-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I donīt know the US but here no,we donīt use it at all, we are latin, latino or latina in spanish and thatīs it.
    I choose to use the term Latinx because it embodies everyone including non binary Latin Americans. I myself am nonbinary and go by Latine, the e being a substitute or o or a hence not making it gendered because Spanish is a very gender language. But Latinx was made popular by queer Brazilians in Brazil and later on in Puerto Rico.

She is from Nova Roma so it doesn't count. Only Magma from X-Men Evolution is 100% Brazilian.

The only Latin American mutants that I know are Windancer, Skin, Rictor, Cecelia Reyes, Sunspot, Velocidad, Risque, Feral, Thorn, Tag, Sharkgirl and Bandera.
    Nova Roma is a Portuguese territory located in Brazil but they are not Latinx just European.

But other Latin American Mutants I can think of are El Guapo, Darwin, La Lunatica, Tag, Prodigy, Fish, Andre Mexer, Ricochet, Saint Anna, Catiana, Somnus, Angel Salvadore (and her children), Creep, Carmen Cruise, Egg, Fauna, and Gimmick but I'm sure there's way more.
    Last edited by TheMutantTheorist; 09-16-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I donīt know the US but here no,we donīt use it at all, we are latin, latino or latina in spanish and thatīs it.
    But is it bad if people use it to describe themselves?

She is from Nova Roma so it doesn't count. Only Magma from X-Men Evolution is 100% Brazilian.

The only Latin American mutants that I know are Windancer, Skin, Rictor, Cecelia Reyes, Sunspot, Velocidad, Risque, Feral, Thorn, Tag, Sharkgirl and Bandera.
    I thought anyone from a Spanish or Portuguese speaking nation in Central or South America counted. And is Nova Roma technically Latin?

I did always find it questionable they'd make an Amazonian hero White instead of Native Amazonian

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Wait, which episode confirmed that Magma is Brazilian? Genuine question, I honestly don't remember. Magma episodes were so rare.
    She was supposed to be from asncient Rome if you are talking anout the comics. She was a brown haired Latina in Evo. She was always blond in 616. It was a change rather than a confirmation.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But is it bad if people use it to describe themselves?
    Latinx is an english expression and here is not used because we speak spanish and most people are not familiar with the term. I have not seen it being used outside the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    I choose to use the term Latinx because it embodies everyone including non binary Latin Americans. I myself am nonbinary and go by Latine, the e being a substitute or o or a hence not making it gendered because Spanish is a very gender language. But Latinx was made popular by queer Brazilians in Brazil and later on in Puerto Rico.
    This is interesting but here in Mexico we donīt have the same experience.

I thought anyone from a Spanish or Portuguese speaking nation in Central or South America counted. And is Nova Roma technically Latin?
    I did always find it questionable they'd make an Amazonian hero White instead of Native Amazonian
    Brazil does have white looking people, in fact most of latin america does, itīs just that they are usually descendants of European inmigranst who mixed with the population for generations, so itīs not rare to see people having different skin tones, even inside the same family, depending on the region from which they are.

About Nova Roma well, geographycally speaking yes, they are on Latin America but I would say itīs pretty much itīs own thing. I could see the angle of Claremont doing a call out to the fact Latin was first used as an identity by the Romans and that our legal system does share some of itīs roots on the Roman system but besides that, thereīs are not really a lot of similarities.

The Latin American region identifies itself as a community but national identity is usually a stronger point of identity for individuals but we do share the culture, history and romance languages as a point of union. So while we all identify as Latins, we still usually said I am from Brazil, I am from Mexico, I am from Venezuela, etc when meeting each other while to the world at large we are latins.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-16-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Brazill has white looking people, yes, but Amara was not from Brazil in actuality.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I understand sheīs from Nova Roma but I am not very familiar with her so where does she comes from? Edit: Scratch that so she does come from ancient Rome? that explains a lot.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-16-2021 at 09:48 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022