Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Speaking of Rictor, who I also love, I always wondered what his second surname may be. In the latinoamerican countries we have two surnames (also in Spain, from where this tradition came from). In the case of Sofía, she probably had "Mantega" twice while living in Venezuela. Manuel de la Rocha must have a second surname too (and a pompous one).

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Brazill has white looking people, yes, but Amara was not from Brazil in actuality.
    Hey everyone just an FYI Latin Americans come in all races but a lot of us are mixed. With that being said there are fully white, black, indigenous, and asian Latines. Latinx is an ethnicity not a race. That why we have latinos like Sunspot who is Black and white and Rictor who's is presumed to have indigenous and European ancestry (his skin tone depends on the artist).

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Speaking of Rictor, who I also love, I always wondered what his second surname may be. In the latinoamerican countries we have two surnames (also in Spain, from where this tradition came from). In the case of Sofía, she probably had "Mantega" twice while living in Venezuela. Manuel de la Rocha must have a second surname too (and a pompous one).
    Ignorant question, but how do Spain and LatAm handle surnames? I know in Portugal and a part of Spain, they often use the mother's maiden name and the father's surname. Sometimes you can get dual-wielding multiple names from both parents. Is it the same, or are things a little different?

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Ignorant question, but how do Spain and LatAm handle surnames? I know in Portugal and a part of Spain, they often use the mother's maiden name and the father's surname. Sometimes you can get dual-wielding multiple names from both parents. Is it the same, or are things a little different?
    Yes, is basically the same. The mother does not acquire her husband's surname in Spain/LatAm, she has her maiden name her whole life. The kid has two surnames, legally: the first one is the father's first surname, and the second one is the mother's first surname (that would be the maiden name in Anglo speaking countries). In some countries the law has changed and now the mother can put her surname as first, and the father's one as the second, if they want.

Oh, so there's a little difference here. In Portugal, the mother's name(s) usually go(es) before the father's, and a woman might add her husband's surname to hers.

Thanks for the explanation. It's really cool to learn all the ins and outs of another culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Yes, is basically the same. The mother does not acquire her husband's surname in Spain/LatAm, she has her maiden name her whole life. The kid has two surnames, legally: the first one is the father's first surname, and the second one is the mother's first surname (that would be the maiden name in Anglo speaking countries). In some countries the law has changed and now the mother can put her surname as first, and the father's one as the second, if they want.
    Ooof. The "maiden name" thing sounds superweird to us in Spain. It feels as if a woman is not complete until she marries. Never really understood it, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Oh, so there's a little difference here. In Portugal, the mother's name(s) usually go(es) before the father's, and a woman might add her husband's surname to hers.

Thanks for the explanation. It's really cool to learn all the ins and outs of another culture.
    I didn't knew this about Portugal! That's great info, I actually thought Protugal followed traditionally the same order as Spain/Latam but I was wrong (thanks for the info). It's indeed very cool to learn about the customs of different countries and even more fun in the context of X-Men

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    I choose to use the term Latinx because it embodies everyone including non binary Latin Americans. I myself am nonbinary and go by Latine, the e being a substitute or o or a hence not making it gendered because Spanish is a very gender language. But Latinx was made popular by queer Brazilians in Brazil and later on in Puerto Rico.
    Can you please explain to me how Latinx include non binari people but latin american doesn't. This is the first time I am hearing it was made popular by brazilians.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Ooof. The "maiden name" thing sounds superweird to us in Spain. It feels as if a woman is not complete until she marries. Never really understood it, tbh.
    Speaking of Spain, does hispanic heritage month include spaniards? since they are not anglo Sanxon and some can get a tan, I get your guys are also POC in the eyes of gringos. In wich case Empath, Lourdes Chantel, Fabian and Ann Marie Cortez also count. Are there any portuguese mutant?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Sunspot!

I think others like Cecilia, Wind Dancer, and Rictor need more development though.

The X-Men really sucks when it comes to Latinos though.
    None of the Latinx characters Hebe ever really been on the main team.

The only one getting any recent development is Rictor. He still needs more. As the mutants join the MCU they are going to have to fix this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    None of the Latinx characters Hebe ever really been on the main team.

The only one getting any recent development is Rictor. He still needs more. As the mutants join the MCU they are going to have to fix this.
    Cecilia was technically part of at least two main X-Men team but no character development other than resident doctor . Rictor has had pleanty of character development throught the years, they just choose to make angst (and bad fashion) his main personality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    You forgot Prodigy haha he's your profile pic
    Maybe I need to read New Mutants vol. 2 again cause I did not remember David being Afro-Latino. But hey the more you know

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Speaking of Spain, does hispanic heritage month include spaniards? since they are not anglo Sanxon and some can get a tan, I get your guys are also POC in the eyes of gringos. In wich case Empath, Lourdes Chantel, Fabian and Ann Marie Cortez also count. Are there any portuguese mutant?
    Spaniards are included in "Hispanic" but not in "Latino/a/e/x"

Is it official that goldballs is Mexican American

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Is it official that goldballs is Mexican American
    Not at all, he just has an "hispanic name" and that is enough for gringos to consider him "latino"

Same with Prodigy who was born in Chicago but apparently he is latino to them because ...?