Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Default WW's Continuity Constants

Wonder Woman is a character who seems to be lacking in continuity constants. The only consistent things that always reappear in her stories are her mother, the amazons, Themyscira, and the lasso...Other than that, everything else has been pretty much a bit of a free for all.

Are there any specific things you would like to be firmly established in her mythos, with no changes or retcons from writer to writer? Perhaps her power level, her rogues, supporting cast, or her home away from home?

Most everything from Azzarello's run needs to stay. If you want to stop bad trends, their chance is coming pretty soon. This run is nearly at an end, so you make sure the new creative team builds off this run.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-05-2014 at 03:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I hope Diana moves back to the U.S. and sets up shop in either Washington D.C. or Gateway City. I'm also hoping we see many of her rogues in the next run such as Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, Dr. Psycho, Angle Man, Silver Swan, Baron Blitzkreig, etc. I also want to see her supporting cast return to the book like Steve Trevor, Donna Troy, Nemesis, Artemis, etc. Her power-set can stay the same as it currently is with the exception of ignoring the swiss-army bracelets.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member

I'd like her to always have the ability to fly. It was sad that they didn't show that in the animated movie (though they did have an invisible jet with no explanation for it).

I also like her being able to calm and communicate with animals. I hope that always continues.

Oh and Ferdinand, I thought he'd been pretty much established after Ruckas run but haven't really heard from him since. I would really like him to return and continue to pop up whenever.
    Last edited by Farron; 05-05-2014 at 06:57 AM.

I would like to see the Amazons firmly established as a force for good. Not perfection, because I like characters and societies with flaws, but this is the only actual retcon I actually want to see come out of Azzarello's run. I'm tired of the man-hating barbarian sex pirates and want to see that somehow vanish, please. I miss the glory of Themyscira.

Yeah, I don't like how often writers keep changing everything when they go on Wonder Woman, so I'd like if most of Azz's run stayed in tact, other than that whole sex pirate thing and I hope that changes in the next run, blame it on Strife, on the Bana's IDC but I really didn't like that.

Also, a small want is that I wouldn't mind a grander, more attractive Themyscira, like it doesn't have to be Phil Jimenez levels of detailed but idk, like grand temples and statues would be nice

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    I'd like her to always have the ability to fly. It was sad that they didn't show that in the animated movie (though they did have an invisible jet with no explanation for it).

I also like her being able to calm and communicate with animals. I hope that always continues.

Oh and Ferdinand, I thought he'd been pretty much established after Ruckas run but haven't really heard from him since. I would really like him to return and continue to pop up whenever.
    With the exception of her own animated movie since the Perez reboot, she has always been able to fly under her own power. It's one of the reasons her animated movie doesn't rate higher for me. Heck, Gail Simone had a hand in the story as she was writing Wonder Woman at the time, and she doesn't have her fly?

It's another reason why I didn't like the start of the Azz run, because he kept us guessing about a power as simple as flight until issue 12, and in this instance she had to be granted the power of flight by Hermes.

If the new Superman/Bats movie has her come out without the power of flight, it's just another example of an FU to the character of Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, if they manage to survive, Azz's supporting cast needs to be kept and integrated with her classic cast. Bring Steve, Etta and the rest back into the main book, reinvent her old rogues gallery, and introduce the occasional new character. Have Etta and Zola meet and go on adventures with Diana, Cheetah vs. Moon, establish a connection between Queen Clea and Poseidon, etc.

It really is a no brainer, but the odds of DC screwing it up are uncomfortably high.

I think what Azzarello has done, doesn't have to be cancelled, but I would like the Amazons to be good (maybe not all of them, but the majority at least) too..., and I would like them also to be more tecnologically advanced like it was before.
    The characters of this run should still be around, but also some of her past runs should be reintroduced. I would like Diana to remain god of war, but actively try to do something to change the meaning of war (as Soule made her say in Superman / Wonder Woman).
    Power wise I think she is already strong and she should continue to be like this (just make her have more feats, maybe. That's the only reason I think many don't consider her already strong). Of course she should continue to fly, and I would like her to have also the lightning power and the ability to talk to animals back (or maybe she has already them? xD).
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    With the exception of her own animated movie since the Perez reboot, she has always been able to fly under her own power. It's one of the reasons her animated movie doesn't rate higher for me. Heck, Gail Simone had a hand in the story as she was writing Wonder Woman at the time, and she doesn't have her fly?

It's another reason why I didn't like the start of the Azz run, because he kept us guessing about a power as simple as flight until issue 12, and in this instance she had to be granted the power of flight by Hermes.

If the new Superman/Bats movie has her come out without the power of flight, it's just another example of an FU to the character of Wonder Woman.
    What about if she must earn her special powers--that aren't shared by other Amazons--via a serious of tests/challenges? the powers would be hers permanently, she just worked for them versus being born with them. I could live with that, especially if her world is magic based.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    What about if she must earn her special powers--that aren't shared by other Amazons--via a serious of tests/challenges? the powers would be hers permanently, she just worked for them versus being born with them. I could live with that, especially if her world is magic based.
    I like the fact that she was favored with gifts in the Perez version. Not so much in love with the born of Zeus and inherit whatever powers that may be.

I liked the William Messner Loebs arc where her godly powers were gone from her on Paradise island so that she could compete with her fellow amazons on an equal basis. But I don't want her to be first among equals on the Island if that means all amazons are at her strength and power which puts them near Superman's levels.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I would like to see the Amazons firmly established as a force for good. Not perfection, because I like characters and societies with flaws, but this is the only actual retcon I actually want to see come out of Azzarello's run. I'm tired of the man-hating barbarian sex pirates and want to see that somehow vanish, please. I miss the glory of Themyscira.
    How would you feel if Diana helped to bring that glory to Themyscira?
    Last edited by borntohula; 05-05-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    How would you feel if Diana helped to bring that glory to Themyscira?
    Honestly? That is really the major sticking point for me in Azzarello's run. There are other things I like and that I dislike, but nothing felt like a kick in the gut more than the fact that there is no magic, no super science, no enlightenment (or at least absolutely none that has been shown in any issue).

Diana bringing that glory is good, but in essence, it's a major slap in the face to women and the antithesis of everything Marston set down. I understand the need/desire to bring some drama and variety to the Amazons (although a lot of that has been there over the years), but to essentially say 'when a group of women get together on an island for 3000 years, they don't advance in any way, shape or form and just remain murderous, barbaric thugs (at least the Amazons we've seen) is just a bad precedent in a medium that is already overwhelmingly testosterone driven.

Thomas Wayne (male) was a great doctor and philanthropist, Jor-El (male) was a great scientist and idealist, and Hippolyta was always the enlightened queen but is now an adulterous liar who leads a backwards clan of man hating sex pirates.

Having Diana fix that doesn't change the statement it makes about Diana's family and about women as a whole. To some (a lot? many? a few?) of us, Wonder Woman and the Amazons were an oasis in a sea of masculinity where all the great things were done by men (look at any list of 'smartest people in the dcu' or check out the 100% male Illuminati over in the Marvel universe as examples)

It's bad enough that Diana went from being a genius scientist to a (so far as we've been shown) warrior without any professional skills or superhuman intelligence, but to see the Amazons dragged down so far just sorta smarts. She started from out of the gate in her first appearance as being brilliant (she invented the purple healing ray and was a skilled healer) who has gradually been dumbed down over the decades while her male counterparts rose up.

The Amazons shouldn't start from a position of needing redemption any more than any other hero's pre-established family members/society. It's like saying that the Green Lantern Corps were a bunch of goons and thugs until Hal Jordan came along and taught them to fight to protect and serve.

So although I see that that's where Azzarello is apparently going? It's not enough for me. I want the old Amazons back, please, generally as an enlightened society but with those among them who aren't all on the same page, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I like the fact that she was favored with gifts in the Perez version. Not so much in love with the born of Zeus and inherit whatever powers that may be.

I liked the William Messner Loebs arc where her godly powers were gone from her on Paradise island so that she could compete with her fellow amazons on an equal basis. But I don't want her to be first among equals on the Island if that means all amazons are at her strength and power which puts them near Superman's levels.
    Between being gifted by the gods, and be one of them and thus inheriting her powers, I prefer the latter. It would be okay for me if she was to obtain her powers through training, too, though.

I want to think that the powers she has in this run, are in part because of her being Zeus's daughter, and in part for her being an Amazon and being trained by Amazons. (In fact she is stronger than the other demigods. Apollo himself said this. 'She would put the Lion to shame'. She is on pair with the olympians even not being a full goddess, before becoming god of war).
    In Wonder Woman we haven't seen what the amazons are capable of, but in Demon Knights, which is still part of the new 52, Exoristos, an Amazon exiled, is showed to possess super strength, so I guess all the amazons are stronger than normal humans:

Maybe not as strong as Diana, but they are still super-strong.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

^^^^Savage? Is that an ancient Vandal Savage?