View Poll Results: Will Bendis restore Clark's past with the classic LSH?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 7.14%
  • No.

25 59.52%
  • Not sure.

6 14.29%
  • They'll do it later, but not yet.

8 19.05%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What are the chances that Bendis restores Clark's LSH past in the JL Annual?

So Bendis is doing a Justice League vs Legion of the Super-Heroes story.

Originally, Bendis intended his Legion to not be a reboot. During his Word Balloon interviews beforehand, he outright said that he was setting this new Legion in the 32nd Century, thereby allowing all the previous incarnations to continue to exist because the last thing the Legion need was to be rebooted again.

Now, nobody has ever said whose idea it was to change that and make Bendis & Sook's new LSH a reboot, but it's highly likely that Didio's reboot fetish was the culprit. There was reportedly a lot of editorial shenanigans involved in the new Legion's introduction with art being redone to race-swap Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad and Didio wasn't informed. Who knows what went on, but clearly **** went down.

With Didio gone, do you think Bendis might use this as an opportunity to reverse the decision to make the new LSH a reboot? This decision kind of kneecapped the new book by pissing off not only the handful of LSH still around, but all the Superman fans who were miffed by Jon inexplicably now being the inspiration for Legion rather than his father.

Or, do you think Bendis (and DC) will stick to their guns, despite their current "everything happened" continuity mantra and continue to pretend that Clark was never a member of the classic LSH?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-16-2021 at 09:35 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not sure,i just don't see the point.I feel jon is more closer to the pre-crisis superman at this point.Unless morrison is involved,clark is written with byrne and donner version in mind.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So Bendis is doing a Justice League vs Legion of the Super-Heroes story.

Originally, Bendis intended his Legion to not be a reboot. During his Word Balloon interviews beforehand, he outright said that he was setting this new Legion in the 32nd Century, thereby allowing all the previous incarnations to continue to exist because the last thing the Legion need was to be rebooted again.

Now, nobody has ever said whose idea it was to change that and make Bendis & Sook's new LSH a reboot, but it's highly likely that Didio's reboot fetish was the culprit. There was reportedly a lot of editorial shenanigans involved in the new Legion's introduction with art being redone to race-swap Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad and Didio wasn't informed. Who knows what went on, but clearly **** went down.

With Didio gone, do you think Bendis might use this as an opportunity to reverse the decision to make the new LSH a reboot? This decision kind of kneecapped the new book by pissing off not only the handful of LSH still around, but all the Superman fans who were miffed by Jon inexplicably now being the inspiration for Legion rather than his father.

Or, do you think Bendis (and DC) will stick to their guns, despite their current "everything happened" continuity mantra and continue to pretend that Clark was never a member of the classic LSH?
    I'm with you on believing than it was DiDio the instigator of this last reboot. He was the guy with the Silver Age obbsesion and I think than in DiDio's mind, the Legion must be teenagers to work as concept. That is why he always tried to de-age them in every reboot he has pushed for.

However I don't believe than Bendis is all clear of all blame. I would need to hear the Word Balloon interviews to form a better jugdment, but at least, at what has been seen, the Legion was promoted with several changes of last minute (they have to stop the publication of a whole issue because they decided to racelift Lightning Lad at last minute, which talks of a poor coordination), so I don't know how clear have Bendis his ideas about the characters and how many ideas were changed because it was "better".

Now with DiDio gone, is Bendis going to back down from his reboot?

I say no.

Bendis is not a writer used to "put back the toys on his box", once he has finished with them. He likes to write stories with plot twists of last minute than change the characters and left an impact and hints some ideas and scenes with people talking talking talking and saying about great adventures and events (than are never showed or happen off panel) ...he is gone.
    Going back on his steps? It is not the Bendis way. He breaks things and left to other the work of put everything back.

And even if he would do it, something I highly doubt to happen, it would be worst if his Legion is set in the 32nd century. You got a destroyed earth there, Basically, Bendis would be saying than the original Legion failed as superheroes. Not an improvement.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-17-2021 at 12:26 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

And even if he would do it, something I highly doubt to happen, it would be worst if his Legion is set in the 32nd century. You got a destroyed earth there, Basically, Bendis would be saying than the original Legion failed as superheroes. Not an improvement.
    Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the Earth already get destroyed in the original Legion run?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I'm with you on believing than it was DiDio the instigator of this last reboot. He was the guy with the Silver Age obbsesion and I think than in DiDio's mind, the Legion must be teenagers to work as concept. That is why he always tried to de-age them in every reboot he has pushed for.

However I don't believe than Bendis is all clear of all blame. I would need to hear the Word Balloon interviews to form a better jugdment, but at least, at what has been seen, the Legion was promoted with several changes of last minute (they have to stop the publication of a whole issue because they decided to racelift Lightning Lad at last minute, which talks of a poor coordination), so I don't know how clear have Bendis his ideas about the characters and how many ideas were changed because it was "better".

Now with DiDio gone, is Bendis going to back down from his reboot?

I say no.

Bendis is not a writer used to "put back the toys on his box", once he has finished with them. He likes to write stories with plot twists of last minute than change the characters and left an impact and hints some ideas and scenes with people talking talking talking and saying about great adventures and events (than are never showed or happen off panel) ...he is gone.
    Going back on his steps? It is not the Bendis way. He breaks things and left to other the work of put everything back.

I more or less agree, but the destroyed Earth can itself be a written off as a side effect of Death Metal rippling through time as we've seen elsewhere. With history "corrected," so too can the destroyed Earth. And Planet Gotham can **** right off back into non-existence while we're at it.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I more or less agree, but the destroyed Earth can itself be a written off as a side effect of Death Metal rippling through time as we've seen elsewhere. With history "corrected," so too can the destroyed Earth. And Planet Gotham can **** right off back into non-existence while we're at it.
    Sounds like it would be easier to just pretend that Bendis never wrote Legion.

Retired

I haven't read the story. But my hero, E. Nelson Bridwell, or one of the regular Legion Outpost writers, would have easily explained the return of the Earth. It got fixed. The absence of a whole planet in the solar system would have consequences for the rest of the planets, so the U.P. made a new one, of the same size and mass in the same orbit and recreated all the features and monuments of the old one--with some new added tech features. Probably not the first time they had to replace a planet or a moon.

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the Earth already get destroyed in the original Legion run?
    In the Five Years Later continuity, to be precise. And it was not one of the best ideas. It lead to the first official reboot (counting out the inner reboot/retcons from early the series itself).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, I wish that destiny for planet Gotham too. But it is not the causes of the destruction of the earth the problem, but what it implies. It stablished the legion of the Century 31st as a failed team, uncapable to prevent the destruction of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Sounds like it would be easier to just pretend that Bendis never wrote Legion.
    If only could be so easy. But the damage bendis has done has been wide and extensive. And it will continue...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't read the story. But my hero, E. Nelson Bridwell, or one of the regular Legion Outpost writers, would have easily explained the return of the Earth. It got fixed. The absence of a whole planet in the solar system would have consequences for the rest of the planets, so the U.P. made a new one, of the same size and mass in the same orbit and recreated all the features and monuments of the old one--with some new added tech features. Probably not the first time they had to replace a planet or a moon.
    But the damage to the Legion as a failed team who could not prevent the destruction of earth still will be there. The causes of the destruction of the earth are irrelevant, the fact would be than the Legion from the 31st century failed and the newer bestet Bendis legion of the century 32 is better because they did what the previous Legion can't.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Earth was destroyed in the 5 Years Latter run. A ton of major cities were domed and escaped and joined together into a linked space station. Fans hated the whole idea, and it only lasted a couple years before the first reboot came.

Don’t see it happening. I think Bendis will stick to his guns and the Legion outside of comics will shift to Jon being the Superboy they hang out with, or they’ll keep Clark as Superboy alongside adapting Bendis’ stuff.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I would doubt it. It could be done, but I dunno. Looking at the lengths they go to in order to make for certain nothing steps on Jon's toes, I don't see them doing it. I don't see any chance of it being restored until they're done with Jon playing Superman. And even then, it'll depend. The idea has been straight up gone from Superman's past for large swaths of periods to the point it just may not be something editorial and newer talent want to mess with. I hope that's not the case, but it could be.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-17-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes, but the more recent reboots like the Lightning Saga Legion have diverged from that timeline to have Earth still around and a slightly younger Legion.

You know, on a second thought, Bendis maybe could apply the Matthew Malloy treatment in his reboot. Unlikely, but possible.

Incredible Member

They have been avoiding the LSH connections with Superman.
    It is hard to see how they will bring it back.

Astonishing Member

Nope. Maybe some other Earth will but not Earth 0.